Should MTA buses accept dollar bills

akamtabx36

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

well if anything, seeing as this is the bus service of the future, couldnt the select bus service machines use dollar bills,

The coins machine yes but not the regular metro machine.

Excepting dollars would be a double edged sword. It'd be much more convenient however it'd slow boarding times and plus more people would get lazy and start entering dollars as opposed to change, I'd probably be one of the people doing it too lol. :)

How would it shred a dollar? What the heck do they do? They can't just take the dollars out at the end of the day/week like they do with vending machines?

I think the MTA should take dollar bills on the bus for a fare because lots of people who dont have a metrocard end up having to get off. in Connecticut they do it why not here

No that would slow down the boarding process as sometimes the bills are too wrinkled to be accepted (e.g. at vending machines) so how would that help?

I would think they should just change the money vacuum or whatever it is, so that it could handle bills.

Or, best yet (which would address the problems others mention), would be to have change machines that issue dollar coins at stops. (The MVM's already issue them as change).

I think the MTA should take dollar bills on the bus for a fare because lots of people who dont have a metrocard end up having to get off. in Connecticut they do it why not here

Hell no! This is 2010, not 1910. In some cases, if the passenger doesn't have change, the driver will let them on asking other passengers if they have change of a dollar

For speed, they vacuum it out.

Hell no! This is 2010, not 1910. In some cases, if the passenger doesn't have change, the driver will let them on asking other passengers if they have change of a dollar

98% of the transit agencies in North America use GFI fareboxes that take bills. Most, if not all of them use vacuums as well. I hung out in a "vault house" at one TA, and I operated the vaccum. The bills had to be removed manually.

As if the idiots trying to get that ride out of an empty MetroCard is bad enough by repeatedly dipping it into the farebox, imagine if they DID take bills and the machine wouldn't take it. I'd personally get up from my seat, kick them through the doors and tell the bus operator to haul ass.

I know it's annoying, but really... if you know your MetroCard is running out, carry change with you or get to a subway station and refill it.

Dollar bills on buses might be a slightly more attactive target to theves, unless the driver keeps the bill contaier with them at all times, or it is in a VERY strong container.

Come on now, let's put on our thinking caps. The bills are inserted into the farebox man. Who in their right mind would have a separate box for bills???

Why is this even a thread? This was already discussed in a previous thread less than 2 months ago.

The Private lines (green lines, triboro coach etc..) already accepted dollar bills until the MTA bought them out.

The bill accepter isnt like your regular soda / candy machine bill accepter. Its more rugged and accepts bills that a soda machine normally wouldnt because it still can verify the authenticity of the bill and denomination etc..

The bill collector works the same wasy as the MVM bill collector, it takes the bill and winds it up and stores it in a roll. When the buses get to the depot the people who empty the machine unock a slot and pull out the roll of rolled up bills.

The MTA wont accept paper money on buses because the whole point of implementing the metro card is to move away from having to collect money from so many different sources and they get to keep money that isnt used on lost and expired cards.

Why is this even a thread? This was already discussed in a previous thread less than 2 months ago.

The Private lines (green lines, triboro coach etc..) already accepted dollar bills until the MTA bought them out.

The bill accepter isnt like your regular soda / candy machine bill accepter. Its more rugged and accepts bills that a soda machine normally wouldnt because it still can verify the authenticity of the bill and denomination etc..

The bill collector works the same wasy as the MVM bill collector, it takes the bill and winds it up and stores it in a roll. When the buses get to the depot the people who empty the machine unock a slot and pull out the roll of rolled up bills.

The MTA wont accept paper money on buses because the whole point of implementing the metro card is to move away from having to collect money from so many different sources and they get to keep money that isnt used on lost and expired cards.

The new machines hardly ever accept wrinkled, or faded bills. They are more vending machine like now. They also have a coin return, and won't accept damaged coins.

Archived