R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

IMG_0089.jpg?width=901&height=676

Not my photo, R179 3030-3034 was in service running along the Rockaway (S)huttle. Not sure if it is still running around, I guess they had to start running them along that line at some point since the R46's are bound to be replaced sooner or later.

They ran on the shuttle before as full length trains last summer. This is i think the first time they are running as 5 car units on the shuttle.

3030-3034 is currently laid up at Rockaway Park Yard signed as Not in Service. There's also a missing train within the rotation of (Sblue) shuttle trains out right now.

Edit: Another R-46 has filled in for the missing run. Looks like they're keeping the R179 laid up for now.

Edited by 4P3607

On 7/26/2023 at 8:44 PM, Vulturious said:

IMG_0089.jpg?width=901&height=676

Not my photo, R179 3030-3034 was in service running along the Rockaway (S)huttle. Not sure if it is still running around, I guess they had to start running them along that line at some point since the R46's are bound to be replaced sooner or later.

There is 1 set currently assigned to the (S) 

On some R179 cars there is a second "ding / chime" when a manual P/A announcement is made, identical to the chimes on the M-7/A fleet. However recently it seems most of the cars that had this feature have been reverted back to the original single chime found on all other NTTs. 

I do wonder how this happened for a while and it was interesting while it lasted but must have been frustrating for crews going to make an announcement and having to wait an additional ~5 seconds for the extra ding to play just to make an announcement.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:25 AM, Fan Railer said:

That doesn't mean it runs. All the shuttles yesterday were 46s.

Maybe they wanted to give the Rockaway Park Shuttle crews a feel for the R179s since eventually they'll be operating them in service, as more R211s start to fill up the (A) and R46 availability goes down

On 8/2/2023 at 10:30 AM, darkstar8983 said:

Maybe they wanted to give the Rockaway Park Shuttle crews a feel for the R179s since eventually they'll be operating them in service, as more R211s start to fill up the (A) and R46 availability goes down

If needed they’ll use the R179… car equipment tries to keep the tech on the main line but if a spare happens to be a 179, they will use it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 8:54 PM, VIP said:

If needed they’ll use the R179… car equipment tries to keep the tech on the main line but if a spare happens to be a 179, they will use it. 

The R179 are assigned for use on the (S) full time it will be more sets once they’re available.

Edited by Nova Fly Guy

Cameras are being installed on this type of train located in the interior where the route is at. It can be seen at the ( point. Example (C) To 168 St/Manhattan, placed by the letter C. 

Also, don't know if it's determined by car lengths total but, the (A)'s pool of R179s only have the "To" on the outside of their destinations (Example: To Inwood-207 St) while the (C)(J)(Z) cars do not. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Cameras are being installed on this type of train located in the interior where the route is at. It can be seen at the ( point. Example (C) To 168 St/Manhattan, placed by the letter C. 

Also, don't know if it's determined by car lengths total but, the (A)'s pool of R179s only have the "To" on the outside of their destinations (Example: To Inwood-207 St) while the (C)(J)(Z) cars do not. 

That's odd...

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

So the interior just says “Inwood-207 St” while the outside sign says “To Inwood-207 St” just like the R142/A’s

4 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

So the interior just says “Inwood-207 St” while the outside sign says “To Inwood-207 St” just like the R142/A’s

They still have the "To" on the inside. Entire view inside and out has the "To" just for the 5-car sets. 

"To" for the 4-cars is only on the inside. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Do you know what set it was? 4 or 5 car set, Or 8 car train / 10 car train?

Don't remember the numbers of the entire consist but one of the sets was 311x (don’t remember the last digit).

Was gonna take a pic but it pulled out as soon as the doors on my (R) train opened.

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Don't remember the numbers of the entire consist but one of the sets was 311x (don’t remember the last digit).

Was gonna take a pic but it pulled out as soon as the doors on my (R) train opened.

That means it's a 4 car set. I wonder what the current progress is with CBTC installation on the R179 sets.

9 hours ago, Vulturious said:

That's probably what it went to QBL for, testing with CBTC.

Yes, occasionally R179’s are going to be tested on the Queens Boulevard line because they have the same CBTC package as those R160’s that are assigned to Jamaica yard.

6 hours ago, VIP said:

Yes, occasionally R179’s are going to be tested on the Queens Boulevard line because they have the same CBTC package as those R160’s that are assigned to Jamaica yard.

They have been testing them often..

Doing it again this week actually..

Rumor has it once the R211s are coming in service en masse the ten car R179s will get sent to Queens..