R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

5 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The R160s have to stay minimally on the (M) until the R211 order is completed. Then the R211s will be upgraded to CBTC operations and then cars can be moved to remain in CBTC service or moved to routes with CBTC bypass (like R160s back to Coney Island for example).  

the whole fleet is being upgraded (8313-9974), but the current Coney Island R160s operate in CBTC bypass I assume. 8913-8917 / 9008-9012 / 9023-9102 were the stragglers that were not yet upgraded until they were swapped out for 9833-9922.

I wouldn’t be surprised if 9923-9942 are transferred to Coney Island too (to make the CI balance 110 cars, or 9833-9852 transferred back to Jamaica in their place). Currently, cars 9923-9942 are only running within themselves, which opens that transfer possibility (meaning 9923-9927 is running with 9928-9932 / 9933-9837 or 9938-9942), just to keep the numbering scheme even. The same thing was done in 2015 when the (C) was given R160As (8577 and above were the transferred sets).

speaking of the (C), I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire balance of 4-car R179 are moved to the (J) because of the increased fleet requirements for the (M). At this point in time nothing else can really be moved (unless it is R160s out of Jamaica, while taking advantage of the temporary ridership dip and the (F) train GO) because you have no R32s, an increased need for spares in R46s (maintenance issues) and R160s (CBTC issues). Otherwise, service has to be reduced further in the yards where you have the new shortages.

How many more trains does the M really need? ENY doesn't need all 8 car trains.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

How many more trains does the M really need? ENY doesn't need all 8 car trains.

there are only 372 R160A-1 cars: 68 are set aside for the (L), leaving only 304 R160A-1s for the (M). The (M) requires 192 cars just to make service, and CBTC requires 6-7 spare trains, meaning an additional 48-56 cars = 240-248 cars. This leaves only about 64 cars available exclusively for the (J)(Z), and ENY loaning out R160s and R143s from the (L) train pool along with the use of 96 R179 cars to make service. The (J)(Z) needs 200 cars (25 trains = 20 trains for daily service and five spares), meaning that the extra cars from the (L) and maybe (M) pool will be needed as the spares.

64 R160A-1 exclusive for the (J)(Z) available 

96 R179s exclusive for the (J)(Z) available

This is likely why the R211 order has provisions for 32 cars in 4-car sets. or there may be a need to transfer some R179 8-car units from the (C) back to the (J)(Z). Lower spare factor = trains get less shop time = eventually MDBF goes down.

Edited by darkstar8983

Some of the ENY 179s STILL have the B91/92 announcements from when the (L) tunnel was being repaired... which wrapped up last spring. I guess some of the 179s haven't been in ENY shop yet since they came back to service.

Man these 179s are dominating the (J) I haven't rode an R160 (J) in quite some time.

Edited by trainfan22

22 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Some of the ENY 179s STILL have the B91/92 announcements from when the (L) tunnel was being repaired... which wrapped up last spring. I guess some of the 179s haven't been in ENY shop yet since they came back to service.

Man these 179s are dominating the (J) I haven't rode an R160 (J) in quite some time.

That's because of them preparing the R160A1's 8377-8652 for CBTC which is to start tomorrow or tuesday in the 53rd st tube. they were CBTC testing 8400's this whole week on 53rd st. I even saw the set at 2nd ave on layover and a day later at queens plaza

On 1/1/2021 at 5:27 PM, VIP said:

I’m still trying to figure out how they came up with transferring SPECIFIC units, as such 9833-9922 and not a “mixed bag”... as if it was written somewhere stating that Coney Island yard Needs R160B’s or the highest numbered R160 sets from Jamaica Yard. 

I heard some of the siemens sets didn't have CBTC kits installed yet so the ones that were leftover at CI went to jamaica to get them installed.

Edited by R32 3838

On 1/1/2021 at 11:27 PM, darkstar8983 said:

there are only 372 R160A-1 cars: 68 are set aside for the (L), leaving only 304 R160A-1s for the (M). The (M) requires 192 cars just to make service, and CBTC requires 6-7 spare trains, meaning an additional 48-56 cars = 240-248 cars. This leaves only about 64 cars available exclusively for the (J)(Z), and ENY loaning out R160s and R143s from the (L) train pool along with the use of 96 R179 cars to make service. The (J)(Z) needs 200 cars (25 trains = 20 trains for daily service and five spares), meaning that the extra cars from the (L) and maybe (M) pool will be needed as the spares.

64 R160A-1 exclusive for the (J)(Z) available 

96 R179s exclusive for the (J)(Z) available

This is likely why the R211 order has provisions for 32 cars in 4-car sets. or there may be a need to transfer some R179 8-car units from the (C) back to the (J)(Z). Lower spare factor = trains get less shop time = eventually MDBF goes down.

Hopefully those 34 r211's go to ENY. 

The C has enough 8 car r179's to cover pretty much the whole G line.

Ridership on the G was really high before the pandemic, perhaps higher than the M.

The G needs longer trains as well as the C.

8 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Hopefully those 34 r211's go to ENY. 

The C has enough 8 car r179's to cover pretty much the whole G line.

Ridership on the G was really high before the pandemic, perhaps higher than the M.

The G needs longer trains as well as the C.

No doubt the (G) should get longer trains but to claim that it’s ridership is higher than the (M) is just false. While the (M) might see a lighter load than the (E)(F) and (R) on the Queens Blvd line it still gets crowded up there. Also it’s ridership to/from along Broadway in Brooklyn is no joke. I’ve been on crushloaded (M) trains heading towards Middle Village at around 6 in the evening. Having it run via 6th Ave through Midtown did wonders for the line. I really do hope that the MTA would reconsider bringing the (M) back to 6th Ave during the weekends, because I think there is potential growth there. 

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

No doubt the (G) should get longer trains but to claim that it’s ridership is higher than the (M) is just false. While the (M) might see a lighter load than the (E)(F) and (R) on the Queens Blvd line it still gets crowded up there. Also it’s ridership to/from along Broadway in Brooklyn is no joke. I’ve been on crushloaded (M) trains heading towards Middle Village at around 6 in the evening. Having it run via 6th Ave through Midtown did wonders for the line. I really do hope that the MTA would reconsider bringing the (M) back to 6th Ave during the weekends, because I think there is potential growth there. 

Yes!! I hope so. The M can replace the B during the weekends. The M has run to 145th in the past. More weekend local service is needed along CPW without sacrificing express service on the A/D. 81st and 72nd can get really crowded during the weekends and very often weekend service on the #1 gets disrupted due to track work.

In the event that there is track work on CPW (which doesn't happen as often as on the #1), the M can easily be rerouted to 96th street and 2nd avenue.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes!! I hope so. The M can replace the B during the weekends. The M has run to 145th in the past. More weekend local service is needed along CPW without sacrificing express service on the A/D. 81st and 72nd can get really crowded during the weekends and very often weekend service on the #1 gets disrupted due to track work.

In the event that there is track work on CPW (which doesn't happen as often as on the #1), the M can easily be rerouted to 96th street and 2nd avenue.

Then run the (B) on weekends.

The last thing we need to be doing is implementing more branches, especially when said branches would be day-specific.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

The last thing we need to be doing is implementing more branches, especially when said branches would be day-specific.

I like this idea too.

In fact, the B should be running to the Bronx during the weekdays all day, but keeping D service in the Bronx as it is; local during off peak, express during rush hour.

8 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

5 hours ago, Lex said:

Or at the very least, run the (C) more frequently on weekends. Though running the (B) on weekends would be helpful for Concourse, CPW, 6th Ave and Brighton riders. 

I too would love more weekend service, but with current flagging and junction operation practices it's ~impossible to regularly schedule more than 15-16 tph (B div) or 17-18tph (A div) per trunk on weekends. 

Whenever it is that we make some progress on those fronts, I would first bump frequencies on existing services rather than add more. Two infrequent services doing slightly different things is, generally, less helpful from a network perspective than a single, high-qual service.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 5:13 PM, trainfan22 said:

I can agree, The (J) And (Z) Got a huge amount of R179s that I couldn't even see R160s popping up or and R143 like usual. 

On 1/4/2021 at 5:36 PM, Lex said:

Yep, Since now only 2 Express trains are on CPW and one local train, Also on the Brighton line. Since there's no express service they mainly have to take the (Q) local,

Ngl, I really need the <Q> to run on brighton express on weekends. Idk if Y'all can agree with me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

Man, they are so lucky we're not running full service. Otherwise, it'd be: hello R32s!

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Man, they are so lucky we're not running full service. Otherwise, it'd be: hello R32s!

if they take these oos again, the r32's would have to comeback again. they can't reduce service in the eastern division since all 3 lines ( (J)(Z) are combined as one line) have very heavy ridership. there's nothing else that's 8 cars that could run on the (J) . Them running the (J) with less service would be very bad since covid is still around. Plus the (M) is cbtc now Between 5th ave and queens plaza so that make it worse. since then the (J) has been using more of it's r179's vs before.

12 hours ago, jon2305 said:

These overshooting incidents have happened in the past with other car fleets.