R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/6/2022 at 3:30 PM, texassubwayfan555 said:

https://downloadmoreram.com You might need a usb stick to transfer it on to the TOD.

Who creates this stuff?  Wish they had a phone number to take orders... That would be hysterical. 

That said, I remember for a time people did use RAMsticks and usb drives for "Windows ReadyBoost™️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Milano

• 3 weeks later...

One of the R179s have new exterior signage that displays the route but adding "to" knowing where to go. 

3015-3019 with 3238-3242 on the (A) is one of them. This update also have the NYPD Announcement and the mask update was removed.

A -> TO OZONE PARK 

A -> TO INWOOD-207 ST

Edited by Calvin

R179s are starting to have the second tone added to the PA.

I noticed this on one a couple days ago on the C, and then heard one on the A, and the conductor said that was the third one he had that dayd like that!

The NTTs, as everyone would know, have the PA introduced by a single tone. This sounds a slightly different on the Bombardier cars than on the Kawasakis. The LIRR and MNR NTTs sound like the Bombardiers, but add a second higher tone, like a subway door tone, and actually sounding a bit more tuned to the R44-68 tone than the NTTs (which is a step or so lower; perhaps flattened?) So now they're adding them to the 179's.

So the same dual-ping PA chime is being added to the R179s? That is interesting. I wonder if it’s going to be added to the other NTTs too.

Interestingly, in other US cities, they use a tone similar to the R44-68s door closing chimes for PA announcements. I’ve heard it in Boston (old Red, Orange and Blue line cars), Philly (Broad Street Line) and LA (Red and Purple line cars).

Also, Boston’s Type 8 LRVs on its Green Line have the same single ping for the PA as our NTTs.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

On 12/29/2022 at 10:22 PM, Eric B said:

R179s are starting to have the second tone added to the PA.

I noticed this on one a couple days ago on the C, and then heard one on the A, and the conductor said that was the third one he had that dayd like that!

The NTTs, as everyone would know, have the PA introduced by a single tone. This sounds a slightly different on the Bombardier cars than on the Kawasakis. The LIRR and MNR NTTs sound like the Bombardiers, but add a second higher tone, like a subway door tone, and actually sounding a bit more tuned to the R44-68 tone than the NTTs (which is a step or so lower; perhaps flattened?) So now they're adding them to the 179's.

Remember that LIRR and MNRR M7s and R179s are all Bombardier cars 

• 4 weeks later...

My gripes with the r179 is when pressing the door open/close buttons, you dont get the same kind of tactile response as you would pressing the same buttons on an r143/r160. On a 160/143, I can FEEL the fact I pressed those buttons, with the 179, Ive developed a weird habit that makes me double press it at times since I dont get that same response.

Also man, is that MDC slippery sometimes, itll either take no effort to turn the key from RUN to ON, etc, or youd need to REALLY crank that thing

18 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Would it be possible to convert the remaining 4 car R179 units (not the ones used on the Eastern Division)  to 5 car sets? I know it would reduce the trains assigned to 7, with 2 A cars left over, which can be assigned to the Franklin Shuttle. 

Also, would it be possible to run two A car R179's or is a B car needed in order to run?

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So how do they plan on replacing the R68’s on the Franklin Shuttle?

They will make the decision when the time comes.  Today's decision makers at MTA/NYCT will be long gone by then and it will become somebody else's problem.  Maybe some of you guys can take entrance exams, get hired, move up the ladder, and become tomorrow's decision makers so YOU can make the call!  For now, today Saturday Feb.3, 2023, can we please deal with the R211's and the replacement of the almost 750 active R46's and 50+ SI R44's first?  

It's OK to speculate but the speculation of barn/route/line assignments of new equipment lately by so many posters to this site is beyond over the top. Plus too many guys are posting equipment assignments from the standpoint "This is what they WILL Do".  Absolutely preposterous!  Can we please be patient?  This stuff about what will happen years from now is way past ridiculous.

On 2/4/2023 at 2:45 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

They will make the decision when the time comes.  Today's decision makers at MTA/NYCT will be long gone by then and it will become somebody else's problem.  Maybe some of you guys can take entrance exams, get hired, move up the ladder, and become tomorrow's decision makers so YOU can make the call!  For now, today Saturday Feb.3, 2023, can we please deal with the R211's and the replacement of the almost 750 active R46's and 50+ SI R44's first?  

It's OK to speculate but the speculation of barn/route/line assignments of new equipment lately by so many posters to this site is beyond over the top. Plus too many guys are posting equipment assignments from the standpoint "This is what they WILL Do".  Absolutely preposterous!  Can we please be patient?  This stuff about what will happen years from now is way past ridiculous.

Some of these Buffs prob cant make it past schoolcar let alone  move up in title to be in the decision making spot..

22 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Some of these Buffs prob cant make it past schoolcar let alone  move up in title to be in the decision making spot..

Shoot would you really want some of them in charge making serious decisions for the agency? You’d definitely get stuff like the (B) and (D) both running out of concourse yard,  different train fleets running on various lines just because it looks cool and etc.  

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Shoot would you really want some of them in charge making serious decisions for the agency? You’d definitely get stuff like the (B) and (D) both running out of concourse yard,  different train fleets running on various lines just because it looks cool and etc.  

Oh no that's why they should just stick to BVE and live in their fantasy world of train assignments..

Where they belong...

Edited by RTOMan

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

When I made the post that New Flyer 230 was responding to I was being kind.......I know damn well that most posters who I was referring to couldn't even pass an entrance exam to enter the agency.  Therefore, we really won't have to worry much about them making important/strategic decisions anyway! 

On 1/1/2023 at 1:36 PM, Kamen Rider said:

Except the M7/As are completely custom and the 179s are actually built on the “Movia Metro” design platform.

personally the only thing I like about them is the cup holder on the cab door. Still amazed no one thought of that sooner.

What's ironic, though, is that eating and drinking is prohibited in those cabs...

On 2/4/2023 at 2:45 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

I read somewhere that there supposedly a 168 car order somewhere for the B division, so maybe that will be what would eventually play out for the R68 replacements?