R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

I'm just here counting the days away until the first set hits the test tracks (Sea Beach, Rockaways, Culver Viaduct or whatnot)  on 12/22/2014 before its 30 day is scheduled to begin in March 2015.

There is no chance in hell that a precise start date for the 30-day test had already been determined. Perhaps it is a target date, but it's a year away, and lots can change between now and then.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no chance in hell that a precise start date for the 30-day test had already been determined. Perhaps it is a target date, but it's a year away, and lots can change between now and then.

I was generalizing. Its the test unit itself that is scheduled to be delivered in December 22, 2014 according to the MTA. As to what may happen in between, I will have to agree, that is left up to the unknown.

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't Sea Beach's "test track" about to become a revenus track some time in 2014? They are taking one local track out of service to renovate stations from 8 Avenue to Bay Parkway.

Then stop replying. None of what you three have been posting pertains to R179.

On the weekends when theres no GO I guess you can use Brighton since the (B) won't be running

Or the (MTA) can scramble to fix the other express track between 8 Av and Kings Highway and get it up and running before 2015

• 1 month later...

What propulsion are they using again? Bombardier's site lists it as the BOMBARDIER MITRAC but is that just the same one as the propulsion on the R142As/R143s?

There is a newer version of the mitrac but now that they brought back the R142A version for the 188s they could decide to use it on the 179s for compatibility.

I don't know if this was already explained but why is the (C) staying as 8 cars when this order could make the (C) full length just like the (A). I thought the MTA wanted to reduce crowding on the 8th Ave Line.

A lot of things took place that pretty much killed making the (C) full length. Started with the R44s and everything that went down with that.

Edited by DJ MC

A lot of things took place that pretty much killed making the (C) full length. Started with the R44s and everything that went down with that.

And the (C) is nowhere close to being well above 125% of a seated load. Its 10 minute headway and 8-car trains can handle the loads without any problems, despite what many others say.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

And wasn't most of the order going to be in 5 car sets before that was chaned?

Yeah I believe so. The original order called for 50 five car trainsets and 10 four car trainsets. There was also an option order for 50 more cars. They also had an additional 80 cars for Staten Island to replace the R44s running there.

Edited by DJ MC

And the (C) is nowhere close to being well above 125% of a seated load. Its 10 minute headway and 8-car trains can handle the loads without any problems, despite what many others say.

When I used to take it it was always packed.

I wonder what's replacing those R44's in Staten Island. The MTA keeps pushing its replacement further back and these trains are only getting worst.

It obviously must have been rush hour, like say around 7:30-9:00 a.m. and 5:30-7:00 pm. As a frequent rider of the (A)(C) side of town, there isn't a need for more local service, especially because it shares ridership with the (B) on CPW and (E) on 8th Avenue. Oh, and don't forget about the B25 bus in Brooklyn.

I wonder what's replacing those R44's in Staten Island. The MTA keeps pushing its replacement further back and these trains are only getting worst.

Well the MTA is going to give those R44s an SMS, so as to keep them reliable until the R211s arrive around the end of this decade.