R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could the same as the R142A/R143 but Bombardier might use their updated MITRAC propulsion. We'll just have to wait and see until the first test trains start rolling out later this year.

Now that it's obviously been brought back for the 188s I wouldn't be surprised if they used the old one for compatibility...

My question to you and VIP is why would the (MTA) purposefully go out of their way to give the 179's to Fresh Pond just to keep the (C) from receiving brand new trains? Wouldn't they be delivered to 207th and then go to Pitkin for their third rail shoes? What would be the logic in giving 160a-1's to the (C) ?

Increase of (M) ridership but it wouldn't be any different ENY/Fresh Pond so ENY can maintain exclusively R-160's and vice versa. And my opinion is nothing against the (C) receiving newer equipment it just makes sense if the R-179 order goes to Jamaica  bumping the remaining R-46's to the (C) making the (A)(C) all R-46 until the next fleet arrives. Why Jamaica...CBTC along QBL in the future and keeping equipment car types in one place. I'm not sure if all of Jamaica's R-46's can supplement the (C) for full length if it can then i would be something good. 

Increase of (M) ridership but it wouldn't be any different ENY/Fresh Pond so ENY can maintain exclusively R-160's and vice versa. And my opinion is nothing against the (C) receiving newer equipment it just makes sense if the R-179 order goes to Jamaica bumping the remaining R-46's to the (C) making the (A)(C) all R-46 until the next fleet arrives. Why Jamaica...CBTC along QBL in the future and keeping equipment car types in one place. I'm not sure if all of Jamaica's R-46's can supplement the (C) for full length if it can then i would be something good.

One small teensy-tiny little problem: most of the 179s will be 8-cars (480 ft) long. Unless they're all going on the M to bump off the 160s, they pretty much have to run on the C (that is, outside of the ones replacing the 42s on the J).

I highly doubt that, seeing as if CBTC is now being installed on the QBL soon,  Im 100% positive all new tech trains will come CBTC ready.

Contract does not specify CBTC. The R179s are effectively another option order of R160s (the ones NOT on the (L)). QBL resignalling hasn't even started yet. The R46s will probably be long gone by then...

What will the car numbers be like? Will the MTA start using 5 digits or are they going to go back to the 1000s?
I can't see 1000s cuz the R142s start at 1101. I would assume these to start maybe at 3001, 3021 or 3101 and up... just my guess.....

Edited by Missabassi

One small teensy-tiny little problem: most of the 179s will be 8-cars (480 ft) long. Unless they're all going on the M to bump off the 160s, they pretty much have to run on the C (that is, outside of the ones replacing the 42s on the J).

True forgot the majority of the order was 4-car sets and not 5. Got mistaken that 50 cars will be 4 car sets and the rest 5 car sets. So squash the idea of the 179's going on the QBL. Guess we'll have to wait and see. But sheesh can't rule out the 179's going to a lot of places. ENY/Fresh Pond can bump 160's to the (C),who knows.

Watch them put the R179s on the (M) and give 207st Hand-me-down R160s from the (M) and (J) for (C) service.
What would be the point of that?The East New York fleet includes 64 cars equipped for the unique Canarsie CBTC system. Those cars, at a minimum, will not be leaving East New York.

As far as the five car sets, im sure the MTA will place them in CI for the (Q)
They could in principle go to any line running 600 foot trains, bit why do you think they'll go to the Q specifically?

Can't rule out Jamaica getting some 179's bumping the 46's to the (A)(C) exclusively since QBL is supposed to get CBTC in the future. As for the 4 car sets ENY/Fresh Pond....
The C can't run R46's. The R179 order isn't large enough to accommodate 600 foot C trains.If QBL CBTC is ready to go before the R211's are in, the Jamaica R46's will have to go to Coney Island in exchange for more R160's.Fresh Pond, by the way, is a yard, not a maintenance shop. Cars are assigned to maintenance shops, not to yards. No cars are assigned to Fresh Pond.

Now to really go out on a limb, they could decide to move the R143s to the (C) and put the 179s on the (L)... :D
The entire R143 fleet has specialized Canarsie CBTC equipment. The R143's won't be going to the C.

I highly doubt that, seeing as if CBTC is now being installed on the QBL soon,  Im 100% positive all new tech trains will come CBTC ready.
The NYCT CBTC standard hasn't even been determined yet!

True forgot the majority of the order was 4-car sets and not 5. Got mistaken that 50 cars will be 4 car sets and the rest 5 car sets.
50 isn't even divisible by 4!

The C can't run R46's. The R179 order isn't large enough to accommodate 600 foot C trains. If QBL CBTC is ready to go before the R211's are in, the Jamaica R46's will have to go to Coney Island in exchange for more R160's. Fresh Pond, by the way, is a yard, not a maintenance shop. Cars are assigned to maintenance shops, not to yards. No cars are assigned to Fresh Pond.

The NYCT CBTC standard hasn't even been determined yet!

The (C) could and has Run full 8 car R46 2 summers ago. They did it successfuly, Giving the R32's to the (A), in return making the (C) 600 feet. CBTC as in, If they were installed the components would already be there. They can save alot more time and money this way.

The C can't run R46's. The R179 order isn't large enough to accommodate 600 foot C trains. If QBL CBTC is ready to go before the R211's are in, the Jamaica R46's will have to go to Coney Island in exchange for more R160's. Fresh Pond, by the way, is a yard, not a maintenance shop. Cars are assigned to maintenance shops, not to yards. No cars are assigned to Fresh Pond.

50 isn't even divisible by 4!

I said I was mistaken for 50 cars to being 4 car sets and the rest 5 car sets. The (C) can run full length hence the R-44's in 2010,R-68/A specials and 46's. Now I realize that the order is for 260 4 car sets its obvious that they aren't going to go to lines/yards that aren't full length of '600 consists. Screw the R-211 for now. 50 isn't divisible by 4...ever heard of spares.

The (C) could and has Run full 8 car R46 2 summers ago. They did it successfuly, Giving the R32's to the (A), in return making the (C) 600 feet. CBTC as in, If they were installed the components would already be there. They can save alot more time and money this way.

I said I was mistaken for 50 cars to being 4 car sets and the rest 5 car sets. The (C) can run full length hence the R-44's in 2010,R-68/A specials and 46's. Now I realize that the order is for 260 4 car sets its obvious that they aren't going to go to lines/yards that aren't full length of '600 consists. Screw the R-211 for now. 50 isn't divisible by 4...ever heard of spares.

During the (A)(C) swap, half of the former's fleet was the older cars, which also included borrowing a set or two of R46s from Jamaica or a set or two of R42s from East New York, reducing spare factor on the (R) and/or (J) respectively. Why do the two of you want the latter to be full-length for? What's wrong with the current 8-car 480 feet unit set up? It's not like some people are being left behind on the platform, is it? Local service on the CPW/8th Avenue/Fulton side of town isn't even high enough anyway, for pretty obvious reasons.

Anybody who uses the R32/R46 summer swap as an excuse to make the shorten (A) full-length are completely forgetting the purpose of why those swaps had happen in the first place. As always, it was all about getting those remaining 224 R32s outside in the fresh air to breathe for a bit. Leave well enough alone.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

My point was missed. I didn't read the R-179 contract order when I posted before. I had thought the 179's were going to be in 5 car sets with 50 4 car sets(to replace the R-42's). As I stated if the order was 5 car sets it would make sense for the R-179's to goto Jamaica which could had bumped all the R-46's to the (A)(C) exclusively this potentially making the (C) full length. Why Jamaica due to QBL getting CBTC supposedly in the future. Now I have understanding of the 179 contract being 4 car sets my posts are invalid and I said I was mistaken. My apologies for the confusion.

My point was missed. I didn't read the R-179 contract order when I posted before. I had thought the 179's were going to be in 5 car sets with 50 4 car sets(to replace the R-42's). As I stated if the order was 5 car sets it would make sense for the R-179's to goto Jamaica which could had bumped all the R-46's to the (A)(C) exclusively this potentially making the (C) full length. Why Jamaica due to QBL getting CBTC supposedly in the future. Now I have understanding of the 179 contract being 4 car sets my posts are invalid and I said I was mistaken. My apologies for the confusion.

I accept yer apology noon, it's ok & I forgive you! :lol:

This order is a waste plan as simple, the (C) needs to be full length, the ©'s ridership is growing, I don't understand why this order is 8 car trains it doesn't make any sense at all, and once MTA realizes that they screwed up, then they're gonna feel stupid, and bombardier will not make extra B or C cars, that's why the R188 conversation automatically went to Kawasaki, bombardier didn't want no part in that.

How is ridership on the shorten (A) growing? Have you forgotten about the full (A) as well as the (B), (E) and even the B25? Even in Manhattan, the (1) train is only a few blocks away or so. There isn't anything wrong with the current set up, despite what some others (you included) claim. Like I said, nobody is being left behind on the platforms.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

This order is a waste plan as simple, the (C) needs to be full length, the ©'s ridership is growing, I don't understand why this order is 8 car trains it doesn't make any sense at all, and once MTA realizes that they screwed up, then they're gonna feel stupid, and bombardier will not make extra B or C cars, that's why the R188 conversation automatically went to Kawasaki, bombardier didn't want no part in that.

First off, while the current 179 order may seem like a short-sighted move, it was a cost-effective one. If the order went as originally planned, with its couple of options included, there wouldn't be a problem. However, since money for this order took its sweet time materializing, hence the various delays on the order, the order had to be scaled back. If the 300 car order included 26 ten-car trains (40 cars would have to be part of four-car sets to retire the 42s out of East New York), there wouldn't be any cars available for fleet expansion for the Q when Second Avenue opens in 2018. Unless the 211 order is contracted, like, today or something, the cars would likely not be built in time for the extension.

Secondly, Bombardier wanted no part in the 188 order because it was too small. Between the full trains and C-cars, there are only about 150 brand new cars being built, half of the 179 order, and the rest are 142A conversions.

The (C) could and has Run full 8 car R46 2 summers ago. They did it successfuly, Giving the R32's to the (A), in return making the (C) 600 feet.
That was on a temporary basis with the current fleet. Once the 300 R179's (most in 4 car units) replace the 272 R32-42's and SAS opens, there won't be enough cars for a 600 foot C.

CBTC as in, If they were installed the components would already be there. They can save alot more time and money this way.
Again, the CBTC standard doesn't exist yet. The cars will be CBTC-ready, and once the standard is finalized, the cars can be equipped.

50 isn't divisible by 4...ever heard of spares.
Yes, they also have to be divisible by 4.

What you apparently don't understand is that the MTA doesn't have an unlimited capital budget.

That was on a temporary basis with the current fleet. Once the 300 R179's (most in 4 car units) replace the 272 R32-42's and SAS opens, there won't be enough cars for a 600 foot C.

Again, the CBTC standard doesn't exist yet. The cars will be CBTC-ready, and once the standard is finalized, the cars can be equipped.

Yes, they also have to be divisible by 4.

What you apparently don't understand is that the MTA doesn't have an unlimited capital budget.

A very limited budget. Upstate is tightening the noose. Blame a lot of that on a former Buffalo mayor who convinced everyone that downstate is the enemy and only useful for the tax dollars sent up.