R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm new in the forum. I've been reading many of the posts in regards to the r179. I'm very eager to see these cars in service already.

As por extending the C past Euclid Avenue, I think it's an excellent idea. The C used to go to the Rockaways in the 80's early 90's and Leffert Blvd is only a few stops after Euclid Avenue. Therefore, the C should be extended to Leffert Blvd, while the A should run to both sides of the Rockaways. There is a need of more A trains in the Rockaways.

That's almost perfect except that R32s are definitely banned from the (N)(W).

Ideally they'd just run during the rush on the (W) to assure that if there's a problem on the Manhattan Bridge there's no chance of one getting assigned to Montague. They could just be assigned to the (B) though.

What are you going to do with the surplus of R160A-1's under this proposal and aren't the R32's banned from the B,D,N,Q, and R lines?

(N) and (R) definitely, since they both run through Montague but whether they're banned from the (B)(D) and maybe the (Q) has been the cause of debate throughout this thread.

As for the 10 8-car R160s that no longer have a home, they can just sit around in the interim, maybe can be used as emergency cars.

As for the 10 8-car R160s that no longer have a home, they can just sit around in the interim, maybe can be used as emergency cars.

I think it would be crazy to have overworked R32’s in regular service, while having dozens of R160’s sitting around.....

Ideally they'd just run during the rush on the (W) to assure that if there's a problem on the Manhattan Bridge there's no chance of one getting assigned to Montague. They could just be assigned to the (B) though.

(N) and (R) definitely, since they both run through Montague but whether they're banned from the (B)(D) and maybe the (Q) has been the cause of debate throughout this thread.

Ideally, just have all R32's on the (B), and throw some R68's on the (G).

As for surplus R160's, they could just continue to operate on the (C) and have the R179 replace all R32's on the (C).

Another option is to recouple some of the R160's and R179's into 5 car sets. As for the surplus A cars, might as well couple them together like an R32

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Ideally, just have all R32's on the (B), and throw some R68's on the (G).

As for surplus R160's, they could just continue to operate on the (C) and have the R179 replace all R32's on the (C).

Another option is to recouple some of the R160's and R179's into 5 car sets. As for the surplus A cars, might as well couple them together like an R32

R160's and R179's cannot run together in service.

The r179's need to go to the A,C,J and Z.

As for the r32's, we just have to wait and see what's going to happen with the L train shutdown in 2019.

Keep in mind that the L will use less cars once the Canarsie Tube is closed, so those spare cars can be used on the J,M and Z.

I wouldn't be surprised if the r32's aren't needed after all when the Canarsie Tube is closed.

The r179's need to go to the A,C,J and Z.

As for the r32's, we just have to wait and see what's going to happen with the L train shutdown in 2019.

Keep in mind that the L will use less cars once the Canarsie Tube is closed, so those spare cars can be used on the J,M and Z.

I wouldn't be surprised if the r32's aren't needed after all when the Canarsie Tube is closed.

Those spare cars from the (L) won't be enough as other lines aside from the (J)(M)(Z) will have increased service. The 32's will be needed for that and to remain as a spare fleet until the 211's come in. Edited by S78 via Hylan

Those spare cars from the (L) won't be enough as other lines aside from the (J)(M)(Z) will have increased service. The 32's will be needed for that and to remain as a spare fleet until the 211's come in.

In that case, the r32's should be used on the G in addition to its current fleet of r68's and r46's.

In that case, the r32's should be used on the G in addition to its current fleet of r68's and r46's.

But weren't the r32s banned on the G due to recent clearance changes?

Or put the R32's on the (B) like intended for the (L) train shutdown

Yep isn't that supposedly the plan cause of the cars having a High mbdf

Yep and didn't they bring the 46 back due to a derailment?

Nope. That was because the full length (G) to Coney Island was run by Jamaica.

But weren't the r32s banned on the G due to recent clearance changes?

Yep isn't that supposedly the plan cause of the cars having a High mbdf

The (G) is fine clearance-wise. The (G) is OPTO on the weekends and that's what normally bans them. 

That can change if necessary.

If the r32's can't run on the G, then the most logical option would be the B. Many of you mentioned this in previous posts. The B is a part time line, so the r32's can be stored during the weekends and if there are any issues on the sixth avenue line, then the r32's can be rerouted on the Q to 96th Street.