R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mechanical issues?? Did the r160's encounter any issues while being tested??

Every train encounters issues during the tests. Even a malfunctioning door indication light can cause the test to stop, send the train back to the yard, and reset the clock.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

21366838_10156514114139348_7370459545467

From earlier tonight.

The interesting part is that I think something happened at 110th or 116th with the train. It bypassed 125th and came back down NIS on the express tracks.

Well whatever happened has that very same set in The Flats right now. 3050-3057

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Given the hurdles that came along with this order, I cannot say I'm surprised. I'd rather they confirm everything works as intended before they enter service rather than find some significant problem later on and have to temporarily withdraw them from service.

On 9/26/2017 at 10:08 AM, Lance said:

Given the hurdles that came along with this order, I cannot say I'm surprised. I'd rather they confirm everything works as intended before they enter service rather than find some significant problem later on and have to temporarily withdraw them from service.

Most the R179 cars should have been mostly 5 car units, they really mess up the order.

11 hours ago, IAlam said:

Do all 3 sets have to pass the 30 day test to enter service, or is just one enough, or is each set enter service when the specific set passes the 30 day test?

Only the test trains have to go through the 30 day test.  I'm not sure how it's gonna work for this order given how far behind it is and the fact that there are three separate test trains, but for the R160s only 8653-8662 and 8713-8722 had to go through the 30 day test.  The production cars don't have to go through this test, although there is still some burn in testing that has to be done for each set (it takes about two-three weeks on average).