R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone on another group is telling me that the r179 option orders were cancelled and said he had a reliable source in the mta can someone debunk.

I also saw this nonsense. Apparently he has a "reliable source" however he doesn't seem to understand that you can't cancel an order that never existed.

EDIT: typo.

Edited by r142a7436

... the option orders were deleted from the contract YEARS ago. The order was originally for 290 cars base, 50 cars option 1, and 80 cars option 2 (SAS Phase 1). Somewhere down the line, someone decided we didn't need the "growth cars" [LOL] and had the contract amended to just 300 cars base, no options. Whoever is spouting nonsense about this right now is simply conveying unsubstantiated rumors.

Edited by Fan Railer

Apparently the R179 was built 6 inches to short, and the third rail shoes keep getting knocked off the train. I don't think were going to see these things in service anytime soon.

That makes absolutely no sense because first of all, the Third Rail shoe is on the trucks/bogies of the train(same trucks that are on the 142 so if it was happening on the 179 it would happen to the 142) and second of all it wouldnt be C line testing if it was happening.

Speaking about rumors many people are commenting on one of the YouTube r179 videos that the 5 car r179 sets may run on the A,D,F and R.

I remember taking a ride home from school on the (J) and this MTA train operator told me that the R179 5 car sets are EXCLUSIVELY for the (A) because they tried to use R160's in the past

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I remember taking a ride home from school on the (J) and this MTA train operator told me that the R179 5 car sets are EXCLUSIVELY for the (A) because they tried to use R160's in the past

So if there are any left over R46's then I suggest putting them on the (C)

Sent from my SM-G386T using TapatalkSo if there are any left over R46's then I suggest putting them on the (C)

I doubt there will be leftover r46's. Those 5 car sets of r179's would replace the r32s and r68s that are on the A. Plus, more trains are needed on the A due to increased ridership.

Apparently the R179 was built 6 inches to short, and the third rail shoes keep getting knocked off the train. I don't think were going to see these things in service anytime soon.

You do realize the R179 uses the same trucks/contact shoes as the R142 right?

Edited by elantra06