R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the C goes 600 feet (full length train) this would trigger changes in car assignments. Like for example the ENY R32's would probably go back to 207th or the A/C could be 96% R46's with the 40 10 car trains could be on the A(I hope making the A/C mostly R46 wouldn't be the case). Meaning the 8 car units of R179's or R160A-1's could possibly go to the (G). But its too early to tell and its best to wait and see

IIMN, it has to do with the storage tracks at 174 Street Yard, because not all of them are long enough to accommodate 600' trains.

How is THAT relevant? 1 2 6 7 all hold 600 ft (as well as both leads), and 5 holds 240 ft which wasn't even enough for the 8 car (C) . And 207 Yard can accommodate 600 ft trains, although some tracks can only be double stacked with a 600 and a 480.

Sometimes rail fan speculation logic isn't that far off!

This is true. Sometimes my logic prior to being train crew pulled off. But railfan logic comes off with a basis for said logic. Like one of my personal logics is still the rumor of certain cars on the B. This was based on mdbf, times the line operates and a previous car swap for needing cars to be shopped during off times. But knowing what we no SO FAR bout the 179s, I would actually like to hear the training for this thought of them going to the G. Which BTW, I see as a second reason for my personal thought of what I mentioned about the B.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

What makes you say this?

Just my opinion, I mean its an R179 discussion, and there's always last min changes. I haven't been around when all the talk was happening, and I know you said they're heading to certain lines already. However, I personally think that some last min change might send a few to the G, to extend the G line to "full length" (8 60ft cars) 600ft of train might be too much.

I don't even ride the G, nor do I care about the line, but I'm just lookin at it from a political standpoint, I'm not trying derail nothing or spark up some ish. I didn't talk about it earlier when this thread started, so I'm just sharing my viewpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my opinion, I mean its an R179 discussion, and there's always last min changes. I haven't been around when all the talk was happening, and I know you said they're heading to certain lines already. However, I personally think that some last min change might send a few to the G, to extend the G line to "full length" (8 60ft cars) 600ft of train might be too much.

I don't even ride the G, nor do I care about the line, but I'm just lookin at it from a political standpoint, I'm not trying derail nothing or spark up some ish. I didn't talk about it earlier when this thread started, so I'm just sharing my viewpoint.

i get where he's coming from cause it could line up with the recent iniative to lengthen (G) and (C) trains

This is actually pretty sound. And seeing how politics is a huge factor, it makes sense. Who knows. It could happen. Not saying it will, but nothing is set in stone yet.

I think they're better off going to East New York for the (J) as this would allow the R32's to move to either Pitkin and/or 207th for the (A). As a result, some R46's can go to the (C) enable full-length trains. Here ,we kill three birds with one stone. It's the only possibility I can think of to get the (C) 600' without reducing spare factors from other yards.

As stated, politics also comes into play.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

In all honesty, the C doesn't need full length trains. The order was catered for 480' trains. I'm not going yo go into a "what I would do is....", but one thing is for sure, the c could use those 179s and doesn't need 600' trains.

so your saying you would ignore their new initative to lengthen (C) trains?

In all honesty, the C doesn't need full length trains. The order was catered for 480' trains. I'm not going yo go into a "what I would do is....", but one thing is for sure, the c could use those 179s and doesn't need 600' trains.

I could agree with that. The (C) has increased in ridership, but it's not seeing Lexington Ave crowds or heavy to the point where passengers can't fit in. Something we tend to forget is that nearly every line sees crowding during rush hours.

As for the whole "full length" aspect, I only mentioned it because Joe Lhota did announce to add more cars to (C) trains as part of his plans to fix service.

Edited by S78 via Hylan