R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm following, the (J)/(Z) will be running mostly R160's with 50 R179's, and the (C ) will be 100% R179.

The (A) and (C ) never get the new cars, so they'll find something else to put on that. If there are gonna be 4 car sets, they're going to ENY, which means (J)(M)(Z)(L). Just because the lines that use R32s and R42s are gonna lose those cars, it doesn't mean they're gonna get the new cars coming in to replace them.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

The (A) and (C ) never get the new cars, so they'll find something else to put on that. If there are gonna be 4 car sets, they're going to ENY, which means (J)(M)(Z)(L). Just because the lines that use R32s and R42s are gonna lose those cars, it doesn't mean they're gonna get the new cars coming in to replace them.

LOL. It's 4 & 5 car sets. If the (C ) dosen't get the R179's, what cars will it get? You can't always base the future completly on history.

Edited by ThrexxBus

Until I officially hear otherwise, I'll just assume: (26) 5-car sets and (5) 4-car sets. Replacing the (C) with 8-car R179's would be so unflexible. Those cars wouldn't be able to run anywhere else outside of the Eastern Division. That doesn't even make sense.

LOL. It's 4 & 5 car sets. If the (C ) dosen't get the R179's, what cars will it get? You can't always base the future completly on history.

It's a good question, since the all the cars older than 143s/160s that will be in service at that time are 75 footers. I'd say they'd put 46s, maybe 68s on, but they'd have to make the train just or almost as long as they are now (meaning the length of 8 60 foot cars). That would be 4-6 75 footers I guess, I'm too lazy to do the math right now.

When you think about it, that's not true. They used the R44s and R46s when they were new. They used the R32s and 38s when they were new (I think). The R27/R30 as well. So there is a SLIM chance the A or C may get R179s.

8 Avenue got R32/R38/occasional R40S, & R44/R46. The line hasn't always been screwed when it comes to new cars. It's more than a slim chance.

Also, the (C ) would get 6 R68 if it didn't get the R179's. It may have to share the (G) trainsets.

Edited by ThrexxBus

What would be the reasoning behind an 8-car [C] Train in the first place?

I would understand if your rosters will expand to accomodate other 4-car sets (i.e. J/Z), that would then assume the C would get something out of the deal (or the G becomes a 5-car line, correct me if I'm wrong)

I would understand if your rosters will expand to accomodate other 4-car sets (i.e. J/Z), that would then assume the C would get something out of the deal (or the G becomes a 5-car line, correct me if I'm wrong)

I have no idea, the (C ) stations are long enough for 10 cars.

8 Avenue got R32/R38/occasional R40S, & R44/R46. The line hasn't always been screwed when it comes to new cars. It's more than a slim chance.

Also, the (C ) would get 6 R68 if it didn't get the R179's. It may have to share the (G) trainsets.

I know it's more than a slim chance, I just said that so I don't get maximum backlash lol And I'm fine with the C getting R68s, any line they run on automatically becomes sexy.

Edited by LTA1992

Guest Lance

I have no idea, the (C ) stations are long enough for 10 cars.

The current reason the C-line is only 8 cars right now is because of the limited number of R32s and the high spare factor required for those cars.

Based upon the rumors I've seen recently, it would actually make some sort of sense to send the R179s to 207th Street for C-line service. 48 of the new cars are already slated to replace the R42s. That's a guarantee and nothing's gonna change that fact. That right there lowers the total amount of cars to 252. Even if the remaining cars turn out to be five-car sets instead of four-car ones, disregarding the odd number of remaining cars, there won't be enough R179s to fully displace the R46s out of either Jamaica or Pitkin Yards without causing some type of car shortage for at least one of the subway lines. Putting them on the C-line however, means there would be enough cars to meet the demand of the line and fully replace the R32s without there being any of said cars remaining in service. Besides, in my not so humble opinion, it's about damn time the C-line got some new cars after being treated like a kid brother for the past few decades, getting all the hand-me-downs from the rest of the B-Division.

Just my thoughts. Don't take any of that as fact or as a guarantee of what will happen.

Yes, more cars are needed for the Q to 96. That being said, speculation will run wild over where the rest of the equipment not replacing the R42 will go, we don't even know if they plan to start isolating all the types of 5-car 160s in service (for example, the 160 siemens can be isolated to the G alone, just an example not a suggestion). Remember as well, the barns have to be retrofitted to accept and repair this type of equipment (remember new barns were built for the R142A and R160 in Westchester and Jamaica respectively), when that begins to happen it will become clearer where the cars will go.

Well going by what I've been reading over on subchat the C being 8 60'-car trains again just seems so impractical. I still wished it was 10-car trains. I get the A and C probably don't need to swap trains much, but at least if the C had a 10 car train it can always borrow from the A and vice versa. That or they give the C the R46 and send the R179s to JYD to bump off more R46s.

IMO, it's just shortsighted to just replace the C with another group of 8 car trains. Sure in the short term 8 60'-car trains are enough, but if they were 10 car trains they could be used by many more lines in the future if needed. The MTA doesn't learn from its mistakes like assuming the R143s were enough for the L till the L had a ridership increase over the years and needed some R160s to fill the gaps. MTA has to buy more trains eventually, they may as well buy more now than to be short later.

As for the SIRT, I still think sending the R68s down there would make more sense than to send R46s down there that will be retired in ~5yrs. At least if SI gets 2nd hand cars, give it something that can last a bit over 10 years.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Since when is Second Avenue Sagas a refutable source? Ben's simply speculating just like the rest of us.

To Lance: I believe "reputable" is the correct word in this case.

Anyways, this is great that Bombardier has won the contract... now all we're waiting for is news about the propulsion they will be installing on these things... I'm really hoping for some Bomb MITRAC here...

Jeez, how am I supposed to remember the exact number? Gosh! :rolleyes:

Oh, it's 47 R42's and 1 R40M that is married to an R42.

48 R42's in revenue service and no R40M's in service.that married pair you mentioned is at CI yard,i think it's being used as a school car.