R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Actually, the 68s' fleet numbers stop at 2924, so there's nothing preventing the 179s from starting at 2930 and running through 3349, the last available car number before hitting the 32s' designations. My comment about the 110B numbers was mostly tongue and cheek; I don't think they'll break up the car numbers just to keep the ones "assigned" to the long defunct 110Bs.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Now that everything is official, here's my take:

120 in 5-car sets (numbered 2930-3049), for (A).  The highest numbered R-68 is 2924.

196 in 4-car sets (numbered 3050-3245 for (J)(Z) and (G).  Final distribution to be determined. 

This PROBABLY means that:

The ENY 4-car group will be enough to replace the 50 MK R-42's in the near future.  Eventually a quantity of Phase I R-32's could also be retired.

The Pitkin 5-car group will displace an equal quantity of R-46's to (C) for 600-foot trains.

A long-term base fleet of 17½ 8-car R-179 trains for (G), starting with the Canarsie Tunnel closure.

2930-3049 was  m2fwannabe's idea on how to number the additional cars we got from the settlement, nothing Official.  

Btw knowing how lazy the MTA can be at times they might just add the extra 16 to what they had before to get the R179 fleet numbers 3010 to 3325...relax just my speculation nothing Official...lol

Edited by B22viaAtlanticAv

"10-car testing scheduled for 1st Quarter 2018"

I wonder if a new 10-car set will be entering service between now and march...and which line will it be debuting on lol?

Side note @Cait Sith  someone had posted a link to the board meeting materials and this was included; but given the TA's track record everything is subject to change...

4 minutes ago, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

I wonder if a new 10-car set will be entering service between now and march...and which line will it be debuting on lol?

Side note @Cait Sith  someone had posted a link to the board meeting materials and this was included; but given the TA's track record everything is subject to change...

Considering that there are folks that are still asking the same questions over and over, I would think that these screenshots would help over the link.

17 minutes ago, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

Time will only tell for delivery, and it's scheduled for the (A) as it always has been. The assignments however have been changed and there will be more 10 car trains.

11 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Considering that there are folks that are still asking the same questions over and over, I would think that these screenshots would help over the link.

Facts!

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Only problem was the members' packet was published before all the facts were checked and the info as presented was incomplete.  You have to see the CPOC meeting video to get the full story.

4 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

IIRC the heater positioning results in headed seats on the 179s.

Can't remember whether it was an R32 or an R42, but sometime this winter I sat down on a bench seat and it felt like the seat was heated (from the heating system).

Edited by P3F

40 minutes ago, P3F said:

Can't remember whether it was an R32 or an R42, but sometime this winter I sat down on a bench seat and it felt like the seat was heated (from the heating system).

Both the R32 and R42’s have the heating that comes from under the seat. So when you sit in certain spots especially next to the doors you can feel the heat on your legs. 

16 hours ago, East New York said:

Time will only tell for delivery, and it's scheduled for the (A) as it always has been. The assignments however have been changed and there will be more 10 car trains.

So that means the 10-car sets will end up on the (A) and some other line(s)?

19 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

So that means the 10-car sets will end up on the (A) and some other line(s)?

Since the order was modified there will be enough 10-car sets for BOTH the (A)(C). Since Jamaica is gonna be 100% R160 some 46's will head to the (A), while most head to the (N)(W). The R160's currently on the (N)(W) will head to the (R), and some R68's might head to the (Q)

When you add the total amount of R46's from BOTH 207, Jamaica, and Pitkin, and the additional 10-car R179's, this will be enough to completely kick the R32's off the (A)(C) so they can be transferred to- you already know the obvious contender. 

The 8-car sets will obviously go to the 100% NTT (J)(Z), and are rumored for the (G)

And IDK about R179's on the (Q). The (G) getting them is more likely since insiders have hinted at it. 

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Since the order was modified there will be enough 10-car sets for BOTH the (A)(C). Since Jamaica is gonna be 100% R160 some 46's will head to the (A), while most head to the (N)(W). The R160's currently on the (N)(W) will head to the (R), and some R68's might head to the (Q)

When you add the total amount of R46's from BOTH 207, Jamaica, and Pitkin, and the additional 10-car R179's, this will be enough to completely kick the R32's off the (A)(C) so they can be transferred to- you already know the obvious contender. 

The 8-car sets will obviously go to the 100% NTT (J)(Z), and are rumored for the (G)

And IDK about R179's on the (Q). The (G) getting them is more likely since insiders have hinted at it. 

How about we just wait and see what happens. Assignment are never finialize with the MTA 

5 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

That can change

This thread has kinda been run to the ground, at this point, it's just full of fleet predictions, occasional news and (mostly) the extensive fleet predictions that come right from it. My opinion is: If there's nothing to add on to the thread but pure speculation on where the trains will go, it's best to just not post at all. R179's have already started service and it's wise to wait as other post's mentioned, Im not saying this thread should end but it should chill the h*ll out when it comes to fleet assignments, one topic ( in this case, pure predictions) aren't supposed to clutter a thread, nor is mocking/ making fun of  others for personal/disagreement reasons (which i've also seen on this thread).

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

38 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

This thread has kinda been run to the ground, at this point, it's just full of fleet predictions, occasional news and (mostly) the extensive fleet predictions that come right from it. My opinion is: If there's nothing to add on to the thread but pure speculation on where the trains will go, it's best to just not post at all. R179's have already started service and it's wise to wait as other post's mentioned, Im not saying this thread should end but it should chill the h*ll out when it comes to fleet assignments, one topic ( in this case, pure predictions) aren't supposed to clutter a thread, nor is mocking/ making fun of  others for personal/disagreement reasons (which i've also seen on this thread).

I mean, as soon as insiders post classified info, everyone is caught up in an endless argument. I even stated that fleet assignments are the most controversial topic on this forum, and yet it ain't a problem for MTA or anyone working for them at all. 

We already have multiple production cars sitting on property, and it's only a matter of weeks until all of the production cars enter service. We only have to wait two more months to see what truly happens. By March/April, the (A)(C)(J)(Z) will have major changes in their rolling stock. 

@Dj Hammers and @Fan Railer both notify us of upcoming R179 deliveries, testing dates, and they will most likely inform us of when the 5-car sets will enter service, and when ALL production cars enter service. We already have two R179 sets in regular service, and more will follow suit in the coming weeks.

I also get mocked/made fun of for just posting the info listed above by one person. I cannot respect their opinion if they always make fun of me.

And if things change, then who cares? Not everything gets changed, it's only likely. That doesn't mean it will change.

And @NoHacksJustKhaks, is it best to lock this thread temporarily until the projected fleet assignments happen, since what you said above is true. 

*sigh* this is becoming Canarsie 2.0 already. :( we're doomed....  

Edited by Coney Island Av