If You Could Change One Thing About Each Subway Line

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main thing I agree with him on is the part about R32s on the (:o, but not the part about moving them to the (C).

I totally don't think putting R62As from the (1) on the (4) is fair. The (1) has a fixed n/s ends. the LCD signs would be wasted. imo.

Excellent ideas. If the (F) is going to operate via 63rd, there should at least be some direct service between 53rd and Hillside Avenue. As for Culver, the (F) makes a million stops in Brooklyn. Even though some clueless Subchatters vehemently oppose a Culver Express, it would take some of the pressure off the other South Brooklyn BMT lines.

You are overexhagerating the 'million stops' thing. Sure an express would be nice to have, but since McDonald Av is strait for the most part, it is probably a bit faster than the West End line that has multiple curves.

Personally I think they should've had a Culver express service due to the Brighton express being shut down all this time.

And what about the (A) to Far Rockaway or the (D) on both ends? If anything the (F) isn't all that bad compared to those 2.

Excellent ideas. If the (F) is going to operate via 63rd, there should at least be some direct service between 53rd and Hillside Avenue. As for Culver, the (F) makes a million stops in Brooklyn. Even though some clueless Subchatters vehemently oppose a Culver Express, it would take some of the pressure off the other South Brooklyn BMT lines.

I've always been in support of Culver Express service. I guess you've read that (F) express thread from last week or so on the "other board". If there's room for improvement, then why not take advantage of it?

IRT:

(1) No changes

(2) Express at night

(3) Local at night, extended to 14th Street

(4) No changes

<4> AM/PM Rush hour express from North and South Terminals stopping at Burnside and 149th - GC

(5) No changes

(6) No changes

(7) No changes

(9) Bring back, AM/PM Rush hour express between 242 and Dyckman, other times (1) supplement, local

BMT/IND:

(A) Far Rockaway-Rockaway Park South Terminals only

(:o Extend to Coney Island New Terminal

(C) Lefferts Blvd New Terminal

(D) No changes

(E) No changes

(F) No changes

(G) No changes

(H) Euclid-Lefferts Blvd Shuttle all times

(J) No changes

(L) No changes

(M) No changes

(N) No changes

(Q) Brighton Beach New Terminal, when (:o is not running Coney Island is the South Terminal

(R) No changes

(Z) No changes

(2) W.P.R. Express south of Gun Hill and local late nights south of 42nd St

(3) Gun Hill-W.P.R. to New Lots via W.P.R. Local and no late night service

*Harlem-148th is the new transit museum

(4) Woodlawn to Brooklyn Bridge via Lexington Local

(5) re-routed via the old NYW&B right of way to Hunts Point Av connecting to the Pelham Line.

(6) Pelham Bay Park to Utica Av via Lexington Exp

- R62 (5)

- R62A (1)(3)(5)

- R142 (2)(4)(6)

- R142A (6)(7)

- R188 (7)

LMBO...... Sorry about that:) i forgot to discuss rest of the details about the museum. My plan would disconnect Lenox Yard from the subway, add 142nd St-Lenox Av as a new station replacing 145th St. I hope the TA could somehow put the trains on trucks and move them to Lenox Yard via the open-cut near/under the Harlem River Drive

Ok my turn. Most are realistic and couple of 'fanasty' ideas for improving NYC subway service.

IRT

(2)run express 24/7 in Manhattan including overnights.

(3)runs local overnights to South Ferry.

(5)Overnight service extended to 42nd St-Grand Central.

(6)Make Westchester Sq-Tremont Ave an 'express stop.' Pelham Local trains start/terminate at Westchester Sq.

Also extend the 6 to Bay Plaza using new tracks above I-95(Bruckner Expressway).

Rename the 238th St/White Plains Rd of the '5' the '8' and run it the full rush hour between 630am-9am and 330pm-8pm.

BMT/iND

(A) all trips run to/from Far Rockaway at all times.

Short trip trains end at Howard Beach/JFK station weekdays.

(B)Weekend service between 145 St (Extended to/from 161-Yankee Stadium during Yankee games/special events only)and Prospect Park.

©Extended to Lefferts Blvd. Weekdays 8th Ave Express(145th St-Canal) and Fulton Local. Weeekends all stops. Service Hours 5am-1am Monday-Saturdays and Sundays 7am-11pm. Overnights replaced by Shuttle Bus.

(D)Local via Central Park West when the (C) is not running appx. 1130pm-6am daily.

(F)"Kings Highway" trains runs express between Jay St and Kings Highway rush hours.

(H)renamed 'A' Rockaway Park peak hour service running between Dyckman St-Inwood and Rockaway Park. To Manhattan appx. 530am-930am (leaving Beach 116th) and 330pm-730pm(leaving Dyckman)with 20-30 minute headways.

(J)If the Mytrle Ave crossover tracks could be improved run peak direction Broadway-Brooklyn 'express' service weekdays between Marcy and Broadway Junction. To Broad St. appx. 6am-11am and from Broad St appx. 330pm-8pm.

Also restore 24/7 service to Broad St.

(K) Rename the 'Z' this and run it between Broadway Junction and 95th Street-Bay Ridge weekdays 6am-9pm via Nassau Local.

(M) Extend Overnight/Weekend service to Essex St for direct connection to the (F) and (J) lines using the middle track to terminate.

(N)restore weekday Broadway express service. Also operates via Manhattan Bridge at all times with 24/7 (R) service replacing (N) Overnight service via Lower Manhattan Local stops.

(Q)Keep it permanetly on the Astoria Line. Weekends/overnights extend it to Queensboro Plaza.

®Restore 24/7 service along the entire route.

(S)Extend the Rockaway Park shuttle overnights to Euclid Ave. 1-hour headways between 130am-530am and Sunday Mornings until 8am.

If a weekday (J) express on Broadway-Brooklyn is not possible then create a rush hour (V) running between Chambers St and 95th St-Bay Ridge.

Return of the (W) via SAS/Broadway Local instead of the (Q). Weekdays between Bay Parkway (D)station and 96th St/2nd Ave via Whitehall Tunnel. All other times 'W' between Canal St-Broadway and 96th/2nd Ave.

Create an 'airtrain' between the Willets Point-Citifield (7) and LIRR station and LGA Airport.

Not sure if a full SAS will ever be bulit so no need to suggest anything with the proposed (T) line.

Stations to close overnights

Beach 105th St (S)

Rector St R

Neptune Ave F

Hunter Point Ave 7

18th Street 1

North Conduit Ave A

215th St 1

Just my takes. reactions?

Replies are in Red

Ok my turn. Most are realistic and couple of 'fanasty' ideas for improving NYC subway service.

BMT/iND

©Extended to Lefferts Blvd. Weekdays 8th Ave Express(145th St-Canal) and Fulton Local. Weeekends all stops. Service Hours 5am-1am Monday-Saturdays and Sundays 7am-11pm. Overnights replaced by Shuttle Bus.

Shuttle Bus not needed

(K) Rename the 'Z' this and run it between Broadway Junction and 95th Street-Bay Ridge weekdays 6am-9pm via Nassau Local.

Once agian you have killed the SkipStop service by extending the (Z) which you called (K) to Bay Ridge

(Q)Keep it permanetly on the Astoria Line. Weekends/overnights extend it to Queensboro Plaza.

Having both express (N) & (Q) crossover to the local tracks and having the local (W) train crossover onto the express tracks could cause massive delays

If a weekday (J) express on Broadway-Brooklyn is not possible then create a rush hour (V) running between Chambers St and 95th St-Bay Ridge.

You have a (K) train going there, I think you should stick with this one

Return of the (W) via SAS/Broadway Local instead of the (Q). Weekdays between Bay Parkway (D)station and 96th St/2nd Ave via Whitehall Tunnel. All other times 'W' between Canal St-Broadway and 96th/2nd Ave.

See comment above on (Q) and (W) Should not end at Canal St, it will cause delays for (R), and there's enough of those now. (and for the record its Montague St Tunnel)

Just my takes. reactions?

<7> Return Mid-day Express Service

(9) Returns with skip stopping down towards where the (2) and (3) merge in

(E) Queens Express Late Nights

(Mx) Weekdays Metropolitian Ave to 9 Ave Brooklyn, extended to Bay Parkway Rush Hours. Weekends to Chambers St

(Q) cut back to 57 St all times

(R) 71 Ave to 95 St All day and Night

(V) Restore 71 Ave to 2 Ave

(W) Restore Astoria to Whitehall

(Z) Extend (J)(Z) skip stop from 6am to 10am, and 3pm 7pm

LIRR - Restore West Hempstead and Greenport branches on Weekends

Preserve LIC and Hunterspoint Ave for Diesels after ESA

Preserve Brooklyn branch access to Far Rockaway and Hempstead branches after ESA

Use off-peak hourly service to Penn and Grand Central for Huntington/Babylon and run Ronkonkoma and Long Beach to penn at all times, and Port Washington to grand central all times. Peak service realligned to offer walk thru transfers for penn or grand central and brooklyn.

Maintain current ticketing system, no Automated Fare Collection

Replies are in Red

Law the (W) won't have to mix in with the (N)(Q) express trains. The Local tracks connects to/from the 63rd St line and travel up SAS to 96th St/2nd Ave so i stand by my suggestion of the (W).

The (W) could then run to/from 9th Ave. (D) station weekends and overnights. Maybe i revise my (Z) suggestion and keep the current (J)(M)(Z) lines.

LIRR

1)Restore overnight Brooklyn (Atlantic Terminal)service with 90-minute Hempstead service between 1am-5am(6am Sunday Mornings).

2)Run Saturday shuttle service on the West Hempstead line between West Hempstead and Jamaica. I don't think Foxie will agree but it's a good compromise IMO.

3)When ESA extension to Grand Central opens, run Hempstead, Long Beach and new JFK service via restored Rockaway Beach Line.

Metro North

Create Overnight 2-hour Service on the New Haven (running to/from Stamford)

Harlem(running to/from Southeast)and Hudson(running to/from Croton Harmon)headways between 1am-5am.

Replies in red.

<7> Return Mid-day Express Service

Agreed.

(9) Returns with skip stopping down towards where the (2) and (3) merge in

Do you mean skip stop from 242 St to 96th or the whole Broadway/7th Ave line?

(Mx) Weekdays Metropolitian Ave to 9 Ave Brooklyn, extended to Bay Parkway Rush Hours. Weekends to Chambers St

(V) Restore 71 Ave to 2 Ave

Technically, the (M) serves where the (V) used to run, minus 2 Ave. Plus, Middle Village residents won't allow the MTA to excise their one seat ride to Midtown. Even though they should've accepted the (V) over the recolored (Mx)...

(Q) cut back to 57 St all times

Even better since the SAS won't come to existence...

(W) Restore Astoria to Whitehall

Agreed, the (N) express needs to be revived in Manhattan and the (W) fared better serving Astoria.

(Z) Extend (J)(Z) skip stop from 6am to 10am, and 3pm 7pm

Agreed, I don't know why the failed (1)(9) skip stop got longer hours than the successful (J)(Z).

LIRR

1)Restore overnight Brooklyn (Atlantic Terminal)service with 90-minute Hempstead service between 1am-5am(6am Sunday Mornings).

2)Run Saturday shuttle service on the West Hempstead line between West Hempstead and Jamaica. I don't think Foxie will agree but it's a good compromise IMO.

3)When ESA extension to Grand Central opens, run Hempstead, Long Beach and new JFK service via restored Rockaway Beach Line.

1) I forgot about that

2) I think its a decent compromise as well, at least they get some weekend service.

3) do you mean turn the lower half of the (A) and (S) Back to the LIRR?

1) I forgot about that

2) I think its a decent compromise as well, at least they get some weekend service.

3) do you mean turn the lower half of the (A) and (S) Back to the LIRR?

No. My idea is actually proposed by several non-profit mass transit groups, which runs on part of the Rockaway Beach Line from the LIRR main line to the Airtrain and become a branch of it.

The (A) Rockaway Branch remains the same.

(F) Make it Express between Bergen and Church Avenue (hey they're finally fixing the Culver line, might as well use all four of the tracks). Make it peak express south of Church Av during rush hours.

(G) Actually give the line its two cars back. Make Church Av terminal permanent, extend to Kings Hwy rush hours. More headways.

(J),(Z) Make it express past Myrtle Avenue to Broadway Junction.

(M) Go back to its original route and color.

(V) If it uses the R160s, other than bringing it back, extend it to Canarsie via Broadway (during Rush Hours) like the old KK.

(D) Extend to Co-op City and give the people living there a choice in transportation..for once.

(:( Runs on weekends.

(N) Express service restored in Manhattan. Extend it to LaGuardia and further (maybe Whitestone or Bayside)

(W) Restored, I liked taking this train more than the (Q)_(Q) train north of 57th St.

(G) Actually give the line its two cars back.

The (G) should just go full-length already. It's really no fun being packed like sardines on a 300' consist or having to chase after a train because it doesn't stop at a certain part of the platform.

(4) Cut to Brooklyn Bridge 24/7 Lex Ave Local

(5) Discontinue the Dyre Av Shuttle and continue current Brooklyn service To Flatbush Weekdays, New Lots Ave Late Nights

(6) Express 125 to Brooklyn Bridge, Extend to Utica Ave Weekdays Only, short turn trains at Bowling Green Late Nights and Weekends

Archived