The brutal Winter of 2011 that has hit NYC Metro area?

Shortline Bus

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DOUBLE SNOW DAY!!!

That's something I've certainly never seen before.

Almost all of the public and private schools along the I-95 coordior from DC to Boston are closed today.

In my neck of the woods, however schools are either a 2-hour delay or opening for 1/2 day at around 11am.

Not to mention the storm has screwed up regents exams as well here in NY state.

There should a be a national holiday called "punch a weather forecaster in the face day". No set day either, have it random with a lottery-like drawing every January 1st.

Hey I am sure you can as good as a job as Al Roker, Sam Champion, Jim Cantore, Nick Gregory or any weathercaster you like?

And a descent salary of as high as $2-$3 Million a year.:eek:

I didn't think we were going to get so much snow, they said it was going to snow around 7:00pm, nothing but thunder

and lightning,8:00pm still no snow yet, went to sleep around 9:30am and got up at 4:30am, easily 1 foot on the ground.

Good job by DSNY at least where I am in Queens, streets are passable, but the cars have to share it with the pedestrians since not everybody shoveled their sidewalks yet. No 40+ degree day in sight, this is insane! Sunday and Monday below freezing for the day.

Almost all of the public and private schools along the I-95 coordior from DC to Boston are closed today.

In my neck of the woods, however schools are either a 2-hour delay or opening for 1/2 day at around 11am.

Not to mention the storm has screwed up regents exams as well here in NY state.

Really? I know a lot of high school students here in NYC at least only have one regents exam, which occured yesterday as scheduled, despite the snow. Today there are no exams for us that I know of, and we already have off because of regents week. So really, only Elementary/Middle School students are missing school.

Yeah, for high school students, a snow day comes along when we already have off from school. Redundant? I don't even...

Final count in Center City Philadelphia was 15.1 inches of snow. All schools shut down today. There's reports that several SEPTA buses were stranded overnight throughout the city. http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/12711-septa-confirms-bus-passengers-stranded

What a wild two days.

And there's MORE coming next week?!?! :eek:

The New York Post reports that the Winter of 2009-2010 and the Winter of 2010-2011 have seen two records in New York City.

During the Winter of 2009-2010, February was our snowiest month ever with 36.9 inches of snow between February 1st and 28th.

Then during this Winter, last night's 19.5 inch snowfall makes January 2011 the snowiest ever with a whopping 36 inches between New Year's Day and January 26th.

This snaps our previous record of 27.4 inches which had occurred in January 1925 during the Winter of 1924-1925.

In addition to the 19.5 inches of snow that fell and accumulated in Central Park in Manhattan, other parts of the city were hit equally hard: 18 inches in The Bronx, 17.3 inches at La Guardia Airport and 10 inches at John F. Kennedy International Airport (both in Queens) and 16 inches on Staten Island.

This follows the December 26th blizzard which occurred during the first week of this winter.

Story and Photo from The New York Post: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/city_struggles_record_move_as_latest_3nHOPOfom0gQHALJ5h1DDJ

What was up with technology for the past week?

Last week is started out as a "Major Storm" for Tuesday into Wednesday.As days went by the estimates started coming in 2 days before(Monday) expecting 3-6inches then Tuesday comes still unsure updates are happening of 3-6 in spots 6-9 and 1 foot in Connecticut.Then comes Wednesday we get snow very early than expected dumping about 4 inches! Update comes in at Noon for 6-9 for a total & upto 12inches in higher elevations! Next thing you know today we shitted on with 19+ inches of snow some lower & higher in spots 1-3 inches less than the Blizzard of 12/26.Now what happened between 10pm & 4am? 3in/hr or 2.Whatever happened Mothernature fooled our meterologist and us around the Tri State.But I damn sure didn't expect 19inches I expected 6-9 and since I live in the Bronx I expected at least 8inches.But damn.Its not even October.This is our 3rd MAJOR winter storm for the season right?(12/26/10,then one a few weeks ago dumping over 10 inches and yesterday/todays).East just can't catch a damn break.

With the way the weather ppl when acting lately, i wouldnt even trust the weather channel. :mad:

I like snow and all, but this is just annoying now.:cry:

I get the feeling 553, you want most of them to be fired? Of all of the local NYC weathercasters Fox Ch 5 Nick Gregory was the only one that came close and predicted 1 feet of snow on Tuesday Night.

The forecast called for 3-6". I should've known better than to trust NY1.

With the way the weather ppl when acting lately, i wouldnt even trust the weather channel. :mad:

I like snow and all, but this is just annoying now.:cry:

My brothaz....

I come here in good faith... to deliver this simple message...

Forecasters are no better than psychics !

(end transmission)

i hate all this snow, im tired of staying home on my days off cuz I cant go out anywhere, I wanna go back to the city and take pictures of the subway trains :o and maybe ride metro north again

They didnt plow any of the walkways where I go to school, usually theyre good about it but this time they completely dropped the ball.

As usual they do a half ass job with my street because its not a main road.

A simple question. In the biggest storm since the now infamous X-mas weekend blizzrd of 2010, how has the Mayor and DSNY done in cleaning your neighborhood? (This latest storm from last night 1/27/11)

Bloomberg=F

DSNY=A

About next week, some say it might be all rain, so lets

call it 50/50.

The problem is that the usual weather models have had a hard time picking the storms up. They are updated every 6 hrs and they have been very inconsistent. This storm was showing signs of being a big snow maker in NYC only on Tuesday but even this wasn't guaranteed cause the model kept flopping. The storm for next week was thought to come Tuesday but now it's a Wednesday into Thursday deal. As of right now it's a snow maker.

Archived