Stop and proceed at all stations–it could be possible!

Amtrak7

Here's a better idea, how about these dolts stop jumping onto the track bed to retrieve their iPod (or whatever they drop)?

Responsible riders shouldn't be punished because of those morons. If you're not an MTA employee and you willingly decide to go onto the track bed, you deserve to get hit.

I hate to get picky on this point - but it is simply true that there have been folks who have been pushed on to the subway tracks, and sometimes they have been killed by the trains. In those instances, the person who was pushed - was not intending to kill themselves or to become a nuisance to other subway riders.

There have been incidents where the subway platforms became so over-crowded that riders found themselves pushed into the path of incoming trains, or upon the tracks.

There was a very recent incident where a female subway worker was pushed on to the tracks, as a crime victim, and saved by another rider. I realize that so far this stream of messages seems to imply that those who ended upon the tracks and killed by a train - are "low lifes and worse" - but such characterizations do not seem to take into account the many who were killed by accident, not as a matter of intention.

The push to make the subways safer is an admiral goal, while there can be arguments about the means to achieve greater safety. Is the current proposal to slow every train to a complete stop before entering every station - a bit of an extreme. Yes - such an activity would slow down the subway for many riders. Other than be-moaning the suggestion, and be-littling those who have been killed - what suggestions might transit fans offer that can be implemented that can improve the safety of the subway?

Does there need to be a way to quickly alert train crews about people on the tracks?

Does there need to be a way to report fallen items, and to have those items retrieved and returned to their owners?

Some stations may need some kind of guard rails - where accidents have occurred - that are simple to implement. (For example, the N and Q platforms at Canal Street have them at the stairway to the J and Z trains.)

Just some items for thought.

Mike

I hate to get picky on this point - but it is simply true that there have been folks who have been pushed on to the subway tracks, and sometimes they have been killed by the trains. In those instances, the person who was pushed - was not intending to kill themselves or to become a nuisance to other subway riders.

There have been incidents where the subway platforms became so over-crowded that riders found themselves pushed into the path of incoming trains, or upon the tracks.

There was a very recent incident where a female subway worker was pushed on to the tracks, as a crime victim, and saved by another rider. I realize that so far this stream of messages seems to imply that those who ended upon the tracks and killed by a train - are "low lifes and worse" - but such characterizations do not seem to take into account the many who were killed by accident, not as a matter of intention.

The push to make the subways safer is an admiral goal, while there can be arguments about the means to achieve greater safety. Is the current proposal to slow every train to a complete stop before entering every station - a bit of an extreme. Yes - such an activity would slow down the subway for many riders. Other than be-moaning the suggestion, and be-littling those who have been killed - what suggestions might transit fans offer that can be implemented that can improve the safety of the subway?

Does there need to be a way to quickly alert train crews about people on the tracks?

Does there need to be a way to report fallen items, and to have those items retrieved and returned to their owners?

Some stations may need some kind of guard rails - where accidents have occurred - that are simple to implement. (For example, the N and Q platforms at Canal Street have them at the stairway to the J and Z trains.)

Just some items for thought.

Mike

Several things... accidents like people being pushed are random incidents and not that many have ever happened. If some nut job wants to hurt people on the subway, PSDs will not stop them.

There already is a way to report items dropped on the roadbed, it's called going to the S/A, another TA employee, or a police officer. They will call people from track dept. who will retrieve what ever it is that you dropped.

If for what ever reason there are people on the roadbed who should not be, call the police or go to the token booth.

Previous post: "what suggestions might transit fans offer that can be implemented that can improve the safety of the subway?"

I've got one. And yes it's expensive.

A radar/motion detection system that can detect whether someone is on the tracks. When a person is detected by such system, have the signal right outside the station and the one before that go red, optionally sending a message to MTA control center or the NYPD.

This exactly the same problem that gets our nation killed overseas. Our politicians know nothing of any subway system nor do they know how to drive a subway train. They should not be sticking their butt's into a place for attention like a high seeking whore. This is why many people around the world hate us, because we can't mind our own fu*king damn business, and yet we no nothing, but we think we know it, and this politician is one of these stupid people.

F this idea and F PSDs! Keep it the way it is. If you are stupid enough to go on the tracks to retrieve an item that fell, you deserve to die. It cleans the gene pool of dum dums who would do something this stupid. If you jump in front of a train to kill yourself, your a f'in lowlife piece of scum who should have killed himself in private and not make everyone else around endure the death too, attention whore. I wish the T/Os didnt have to take a piss test and have to deal with the emotional damage of a 12-9. What if they found traces of marijuana or alcohol in his/her system, then the MTA would blame the poor T/O for the 12-9 even if anything in his/her system had nothing to do with the 12-9 and he would lose his job possibly.

so I don't want too hear anyone complain about the trains when someone gets killed and its a hole hour before the train is let back on the line. People don't seem too care that this is not the best idea but I is way better than someone being killed if they do go onto the tracks or is pushed by a sicko and than haven a hold line halted for hours for the pick up and investigation, think what's better the doors on the platform the slowdown or notting at all. I don't think you will like notting because no one wants too wait an hour for a train to come

so I don't want too hear anyone complain about the trains when someone gets killed and its a hole hour before the train is let back on the line. People don't seem too care that this is not the best idea but I is way better than someone being killed if they do go onto the tracks or is pushed by a sicko and than haven a hold line halted for hours for the pick up and investigation, think what's better the doors on the platform the slowdown or notting at all. I don't think you will like notting because no one wants too wait an hour for a train to come

Yeah but think of this in the long term. Check the QBL during the rush. Doing this will just cause trains to occupy the blocks longer and cripple the service it needs. And for people, it just takes some common sense. Know your surroundings and step back when the train is coming in.

For anyone who's interested, check out http://secondavenuesagas.com/2011/02/14/from-the-annals-of-bad-ideas-slowing-down-the-subway/ which is as critical if not more than the posters here.

so I don't want to hear anyone complain about the trains when someone gets killed and its a whole hour before the train is let back on the line. People don't seem to care that this is not the best idea, but it is way better than someone being killed if they do go onto the tracks or is pushed by a sicko and then having a whole line halted for hours for the pick up and investigation. Think what's better: the doors on the platform, the slowdown, or nothing at all. I don't think you will like nothing because no one wants to wait an hour for a train to come

Those hours that it takes to restore service are still better than the constant daily delays and lesser service everyone would face under the proposal. Say hello to more crowded and less frequent trains if this happens.

PS- A little basic spelling, sentence structure, capitalization, and punctuation go a long way bro.

So the answer is to make a one hour trip from Queens into Manhattan a 2+ hour trip because someone couldn't off them self with a gun?

The answers offered so far have been abysmal. Platform doors offer a plethora of technical issues (not even getting into the costs) and moving the train at 5mph at every station is the dumbest idea anyone has ever proposed, and would only double or triple the travel time of millions of commuters.

My proposal would involve a handful of people at each station (one through three per platform) to ensure that no one's on the platform, and if they are they radio the tower. Is it the best system? No. But its a hell of a lot better than what's been proposed so far!

For anyone who's interested, check out http://secondavenuesagas.com/2011/02/14/from-the-annals-of-bad-ideas-slowing-down-the-subway/ which is as critical if not more than the posters here.

Those hours that it takes to restore service are still better than the constant daily delays and lesser service everyone would face under the proposal. Say hello to more crowded and less frequent trains if this happens.

PS- A little basic spelling, sentence structure, capitalization, and punctuation go a long way bro.

I do this on my cell phone most of them time, so i dont always have the time too put in all that, sorry if your have a problem with that. when im home i do a little more so sorry for that, but what we need is help with this system. there is just to many people dying on the tracks this needs too be fixed and if they dont slow them down than maybe they should just put up the doors. oh for you guys that know about the doors on the platforms, they are going too start them on the L and the IRT lines in 2015. so maybe there is a fix.

are you kidding me, do you know how bad this is when it happens on the morning rush hour? i was in that one time and it killed my hole day i was over 2 hours late, and it doesnt mess up just one line several at once are taken out or is effected in some way, i dont think that its better when it KOs your trip too work for millions of people at a time.

100 some odd years and everything worked just fine, all of a sudden because the media jumped on the story of people killing themselves in front of subway trains, now the MTA has to change what theyre doing as if its some sort of emergancy. The amount of people who die from that is such a small fraction of the overall ridership it shouldn't be given much thought. They should rather focus their legislative power on making the MTA not liable for suicides and other such deaths, and offer more support for train operators

100 some odd years and everything worked just fine, all of a sudden because the media jumped on the story of people killing themselves in front of subway trains, now the MTA has to change what theyre doing as if its some sort of emergancy. The amount of people who die from that is such a small fraction of the overall ridership it shouldn't be given much thought. They should rather focus their legislative power on making the MTA not liable for suicides and other such deaths, and offer more support for train operators
who ever said it was just people killing them selves? i was a Auxiliary police officer for 6 years with TD.12 in the Bronx i seen it where people where sick and pass out falling onto the tracks like that guy did on the SB 1 a few years ago on 137th this isnt just people killing them selves its a hole lot more than that

Even with those things, there will still be someone trying to get in there and run over, so why spend the money. You think a sliding door that can easily be pried open will stop them, and as for the garbage in teh trackbed, itll just wind up on the platform instead, a glass sliding door isnt going to automatically make people throw stuff in garbage cans :)

1. There is enormous evidence that simply making it more difficult to commit suicide makes suicides drop dramatically. For example, adding six-foot barriers on the Golden Gate Bridge, entirely possible to climb over, dropped suicide jumps from the bridge by more than 80%. The vast majority of suicides are impulsive and unplanned, and those people will give up when committing suicide is difficult.

2. Not every or even most or very many people who fall onto the tracks are committing suicide. People get pushed onto the tracks, people get accidentally knocked onto the tracks, people fall onto the tracks (while drunk/sleepy/high or even just when not paying attention), people jump onto the tracks to recover stupid items, etc.

3. People have more respect for places where they have to walk. They're more likely to toss garbage in the trash if the alternative is to put it on their feet than if the alternative is to put it "away" on the tracks.

1. There is enormous evidence that simply making it more difficult to commit suicide makes suicides drop dramatically. For example, adding six-foot barriers on the Golden Gate Bridge, entirely possible to climb over, dropped suicide jumps from the bridge by more than 80%. The vast majority of suicides are impulsive and unplanned, and those people will give up when committing suicide is difficult.

Evidence is just overkill; this is common sense.

"Studies show that not having sex dramatically decreases the likelihood of pregnancy."

—unknown source

Archived