Two years ago today

LRG

Surprised no one else mentioned this, but it's still not too late....

The R38s, cars 4098 and 4099, made their final run on Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 on the (C). They were attached to six R32s on the northern end of the consist.

img_97852.jpg

img_97822.jpg

(credit to Christopher Henderson (top photo) and Glenn L. Rowe (bottom photo))

Wasnt the R32 Better then the R38? isnt that way they kept the R32's rather then the R38?

R32s MDBF weren't as great as R38s or Slants were. But body-wise the 32s are better than 38s and Slants.

Wasnt the R32 Better then the R38? isnt that way they kept the R32's rather then the R38?

Absolutely. You young railfans have this obscession with the R32's. They suck.

They are terrible performers. They were kept because the bodies are made from a good grade of stainless steel rather than the cheaper carbon grade stainless steel on cars they have outlasted. It has been said that many years ago when we had the acid wash to remove graffiti, the acid damaged the carbon steel cars.

Hypothetically speaking: would it have been possible to have an R32 carbody frame mounted onto an R38's 'motors'?

Other than the R32's stainless steel outerbodies and being the dominant fleet of cars with the rfw [not counting the R62As on the (7)], yeah I do agree they are probably overrated. But while they are still around with all the 'drones' [R160s] around, you are going to have fans 'idolizing' the R32s till they are gone.

I only remember riding them once in 2006 when I took the (A) up to 190th street for a school project

I took only one ride on an R38: Black Friday 2008. Chambers St to Franklin Av (C). I will never forget standing around the railfan window passing through the tunnel.

As for the R32, I've been on it (back on the (E)) and I never liked them. Yes they have an RFW, but that's all that's good about them. Bumpy ride, small destination sign, old look.

I took only one ride on an R38: Black Friday 2008. Chambers St to Franklin Av (C). I will never forget standing around the railfan window passing through the tunnel.

As for the R32, I've been on it (back on the (E)) and I never liked them. Yes they have an RFW, but that's all that's good about them. Bumpy ride, small destination sign, old look.

I remember the R32s on the (E), I remember liking the R44s on the (A) better because of the rollsign in the front that lit up and the R32 have that horrible flipdot thing thats illegible at best.

I remember riding the R38s up until their retirement month but I can't remember the exact last day I even rode one.

The best story was your R40 story :( I remember it well since it was around when I first got into railfanning again and joined NYC Transit Forums.

The best story was your R40 story B) I remember it well since it was around when I first got into railfanning again and joined NYC Transit Forums.

Oh yeah, waiting over an hour for that last train, but it was TOTALLY worth it!

Only three years ago Slants and R38s were sweeping the nation. Time flies....

Surprised no one else mentioned this, but it's still not too late....

it is a little redundant. that is why no one mentioned this before. we all need to learn to move on from cars that retired a long time ago. hope you do not plan on posting threads like this every anniversary of a car retirement date.

Sad day indeed.

Much better performers than the R32's and the C line is suffering today because of it.

But their bodies were shot.

i would not say it was that sad of a day. the (C) line is not really suffering because of the R32s. They are not to blame for its poor performance. No matter what car type it uses, it will always suck with long scheduled waits and breakdowns and irregular runs due to impatient jerks holding car doors open. From what I heard, (C) riders hated the R38s for the same reason as me. Their car bodies were rotting badly, their interiors were absolutely disgusting, and based on the ©'s performance in the 2009 State of the Subways Report, their MDBF failed miserably in the last six months of 2008 even though they were quite good in 2007. Perhaps that was why riders were overjoyed to have the R40/40M/42s on their line until that positioning problem with the conductor boards arose.

Absolutely. You young railfans have this obscession with the R32's. They suck.

They are terrible performers. They were kept because the bodies are made from a good grade of stainless steel rather than the cheaper carbon grade stainless steel on cars they have outlasted. It has been said that many years ago when we had the acid wash to remove graffiti, the acid damaged the carbon steel cars.

Railfans have an unhealthy obsession with all old cars, not just the R32s. They are oblivious to the fact that every car that the R160s replaced had some type of flaw that resulted in negative feedback by riders and employees. If you need a little reminder, read Part 3 of my surprise aerial assault on the "R68A (Q) train" thread back in December (that is still the best post I ever made on this site): http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=365707#post365707

Hypothetically speaking: would it have been possible to have an R32 carbody frame mounted onto an R38's 'motors'?

Other than the R32's stainless steel outerbodies and being the dominant fleet of cars with the rfw [not counting the R62As on the (7)], yeah I do agree they are probably overrated. But while they are still around with all the 'drones' [R160s] around, you are going to have fans 'idolizing' the R32s till they are gone.

It is really sad that the R160s are so under appreciated for the great service they are providing in our system. Workers and riders love them very much and will not be happy if they are taken away from their lines. Bill from Maspeth should know first hand since he operates the (M) line. He probably was overjoyed when the R160s debuted there in April 2008. Their roomy high tech cabs are far better than the tiny compartments of the R42s, which were removed from that line by the following August, bringing light to Myrtle Avenue riders.

I only remember riding them once in 2006 when I took the (A) up to 190th street for a school project

wow, interesting how you two only rode on a particular car type once in your lives. Did you avoid the (A)/© for whatever reasons (lousy neighborhoods filled with fat people maybe)?

I remember the R32s on the (E), I remember liking the R44s on the (A) better because of the rollsign in the front that lit up and the R32 have that horrible flipdot thing thats illegible at best.

The R32s were the signature of the (E) line and made railfanning on the Queens Boulevard Express fun. When those crappy R40M/R42s took over in 2009, it was the biggest downgrade of any line in NYCS history and I avoided the (E) for six months as a result. Now that it is exclusively R160s, its riders must be very pleased, having hated the R32s for their faulty air-conditioning, the R40/42s for the horrible cosmestic and structural conditions, and the R46s for their obese appearance, slow speed, and long dwelling time.

R32s were also great on the (A). Because I hated the R44s so much since my first ride on them in February 2005, starting in Fall 2007, whenever I had to ride the (A), i always waited for an R32 or R38 (or took the (C) instead, which I still do now because the R32s are ten times better than the R46s) and they often ran together on one train, so I never had a problem with the R38s until October 2008, when they started running exclusively on the (C) line. That was when I realize that they were in just as bad shape as the 50 rusted tin cans at ENY. That was also the same time I began avoiding the (A) when the R40/40M/42s replaced the R32/38s. It was not until the retirement of the ugly fatty R44s last year that I finally resumed riding that line.

The last time I rode an R38 was January 19, 2009 on the (C) from Broadway-Nassau to 145 Street. I forgot the car number though.

I was out railfanning in Bensonhurst and parts of Manhattan that day. Four days later, i rode on an R38 (C) from 86th to 34th Streets. On March 12, I met Christopher Henderson aka R32 3838 as we rode on the last pair from Broadway-Nassau to High Street. It was in the front of eight-car train with the rest of the consist being R32s. Five days later, I saw that same pair at Jay Street-Borough Hall for the very last time. That was also the day I had one of the worst subway riders in recent memory (on an R42 (F) that was packed with unhappy riders for 20 minutes from 18th Avenue to Jay Street-Borough Hall). Read this thread for more, I just could not keep my R42 hatred to myself: http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8892

Oh yeah, waiting over an hour for that last train, but it was TOTALLY worth it!

Only three years ago Slants and R38s were sweeping the nation. Time flies....

Ah yes, three years ago, I was a freshman at City Tech and had such a great time railfanning (always wanting to work for the (MTA) until I realized how corrupted the agency is). Most of my YouTube videos were from that time. Now I barely have time to take any pictures or videos because of school and theater (if only the MTA created a theater program which includes a "Whose Line is it Anyway?" type of comedy routine based on what I see on this site. that would be SO cool!).

The slants were the best of the St. Louis stainless steel cars, but riders hated their unsafe and hideous design, bumpy riders, and excessively rumbling while train crews hated their tiny compartements. Nonetheless, they provided fast service on the (B). Now we have those excessively overweight R68/68As killing the Brighton Express. I will stick with the (Q) and its red hot R160s even after the station work is completed in September. Ahh, the wonderful world of foaming. so funny!

the last R38's have been retired already!? noooooooooooooooo!!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: i never got to ride them! why why! why could the mta leave them be. the R38's were the best cars ever why!! we'll miss you R38's R.I.P

R38 forever!!!!

r38.jpg

R38 classic in service

the last R38's have been retired already!? noooooooooooooooo!!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: i never got to ride them! why why! why could the mta leave them be. the R38's were the best cars ever why!! we'll miss you R38's R.I.P

R38 forever!!!!

They've been retired for quite a while.

Archived