SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

57 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Running full length trains on the weekends would require an C/R which would cost more money. Perhaps the TA thinks the 4 car (M) trains are sufficient on the weekends.

From personal observation of those weekend (M) trains, they aren't exactly bursting at the stems with riders despite the shortened trains. 

Yeah, because who wants to take a small 4 car (L) train instead of the nice 8 car (J)?

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah, because who wants to take a small 4 car (L) train instead of the nice 8 car (J)?

The (L) isn't going to run with 4 cars with its sky-high ridership. The (M), on the other hand, is nowhere near where it needs to be to justify longer weekend trains on a regular basis.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Running full length trains on the weekends would require an C/R which would cost more money. Perhaps the TA thinks the 4 car (M) trains are sufficient on the weekends.

From personal observation of those weekend (M) trains, they aren't exactly bursting at the stems with riders despite the shortened trains. 

That's almost the (G) train even it's always half the full length. Weekends, there is/wasn't need for conductors as it's not busy like the usual Monday thru Fridays. 

Also, the (5) train during weekends, full length except late nights, it doesn't get packed on the entire line only to save the (2) and (4) customers from longer waits. 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I saw a video from a friend (not their video) that some jagoffs were surfing the back of a qb express train and they threw the little barrier fence (correct me please) onto the tracks 

I know exactly what you're talking about. I honestly thought the guy throwinig the guard chains would've fallen off because they're on the back and he was throwing in the direction where the train is moving away from. This easily could've lead to a train behind them derailing.

58 minutes ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Would reinstating OPTO on the (L) help with a crew shortage?

Except the crew shortage includes train operators too… It isn’t helping that a lot of people are flunking schoolcar or flat out quitting + the retirements. 

The trains aren’t moving without anyone up front…

3 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Would reinstating OPTO on the (L) help with a crew shortage?

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I’m not sure if conductors can serve as train operators. If it were the case then it could help, but don’t expect the unions to take that laying down.

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Conductors can be displaced to other areas that need conductors so maybe.

2 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Except the crew shortage includes train operators too… It isn’t helping that a lot of people are flunking schoolcar or flat out quitting + the retirements. 

The trains aren’t moving without anyone up front…

Wouldn't it be violating a court order?

Just thought I’d drop this into the subway forum although it’s part of the railroad topic also. Did anyone else read the article in today’s Daily News ? Seems like the (MTA) and the governor have a plan to overhaul Penn Station in this underfunded Capital Plan. Maybe some people might understand why I don’t think believe there will be an option order of R211 any time in the near future. CBTC is definitely necessary, IMO, but where is the money coming from for new cars, GC Madison, the LIRR third track, fleet expansion, new buses and the SAS ? Some of the projects are funded in some degree I’m aware of but the future doesn’t look too bright no matter which way we turn. Just my opinion. Carry on.

15 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Just thought I’d drop this into the subway forum although it’s part of the railroad topic also. Did anyone else read the article in today’s Daily News ? Seems like the (MTA) and the governor have a plan to overhaul Penn Station in this underfunded Capital Plan. Maybe some people might understand why I don’t think believe there will be an option order of R211 any time in the near future. CBTC is definitely necessary, IMO, but where is the money coming from for new cars, GC Madison, the LIRR third track, fleet expansion, new buses and the SAS ? Some of the projects are funded in some degree I’m aware of but the future doesn’t look too bright no matter which way we turn. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Well with the Capital Plan, the funding for each plan from my understanding is allocated in advance, and the funding sources vary depending on the project. For example, there is funding from the Feds for some aspects of these projects, and then City & State funding, but yes, there are still a number of questions to be answered and many details to iron out.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well with the Capital Plan, the funding for each plan from my understanding is allocated in advance, and the funding sources vary depending on the project. For example, there is funding from the Feds for some aspects of these projects, and then City & State funding, but yes, there are still a number of questions to be answered and many details to iron out.

I'm well aware of the funding issue for these projects. The problem, assuming the article is correct, is that this capital plan was already underfunded yet the Governor and the (MTA) want to squeeze this project into this capital plan. I understand that they want to hire an outside company to come up with a plan including cost estimates. Heck, they could hire me if they want to GIVE money to someone. Seems like an outright scam to me. My take. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I'm well aware of the funding issue for these projects. The problem, assuming the article is correct, is that this capital plan was already underfunded yet the Governor and the (MTA) want to squeeze this project into this capital plan. I understand that they want to hire an outside company to come up with a plan including cost estimates. Heck, they could hire me if they want to GIVE money to someone. Seems like an outright scam to me. My take. Carry on.

They'll find the money somewhere. Too much money involved for it not to happen, trust me.

If you think NYCT is bad, an old MBTA subway train caught fire on an bridge, a rider jumped off the train into the river below! IIRC the Orange line new cars are delayed for some reason. I rode those old Orange line subway cars in dec 2020, they make the 2022 R46s look like an Maybach in comparison.

mbta-orange-line-train-fire-1658422137.p

Edited by trainfan22

23 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

They can start by not spending $30M on stairways and $61M on mezzanines. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

If you think NYCT is bad, an old MBTA subway train caught fire on an bridge, a rider jumped off the train into the river below! IIRC the Orange line new cars are delayed for some reason. I rode those old Orange line subway cars in dec 2020, they make the 2022 R46s look like an Maybach in comparison.

That’s definitely true. I lived in Boston from 2003-06 and even then, the Orange Line cars looked and felt old. This should serve as a cautionary tale to the MTA with the R46 and (SIR) R44 cars.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Not to go off-topic, but, the Orange line new cars are delayed because one of the cars braking issues found stop by stop. This put a stop on upcoming process delivery to the upcoming cars. Also, battery explosion at the yard as soon it was stated that they can return to service. This takes extra inspection now to MBTA on how they can resolve these issues. 

At that day, the MBTA train caught fire, it was 90 degrees. No passengers were injured through this incident. 

Edited by Calvin