SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

First 10 cars out of the R142 order. On the (2), 7th Av Express :

295579178_10218392368515620_513793171265

The R142’s on the (2) and (5) are one the cleanest fleets in the transit system while Corona’s R188’s and Coney Islands R68/68A’s and R46’s are not too far behind in cleanliness. 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I just got the rudest interaction from a station agent. Didn’t even bother looking up from her phone or respond. Just shaked her head no. Some professional courtesy. 🙄

I hope you’re not surprised or anything , that’s pretty common from station agents 😂

3 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

I hope you’re not surprised or anything , that’s pretty common from station agents 😂

I’m very surprised. I get a lot of (MTA) folks on my routes and I give them the upmost respect and courtesy. 

It was disappointing to have that intersection with someone in the same industry. She could have at least said something.

42 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I took the shuttle today for the first time since they redid it, why didn’t they put the platform fillers in the first car? That gap between the middle door and the platform in the first car on Track 4 is huge…

It's the MTA, they're bound to f**k up on the one job they had

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I’m very surprised. I get a lot of (MTA) folks on my routes and I give them the upmost respect and courtesy. 

It was disappointing to have that intersection with someone in the same industry. She could have at least said something.

I do sympathies with you, but try not to take it too personality. She probably was having an off day or something but as the old expression goes "don't bring your personal baggage to work with you" so I see your point of view. However we can't also forget that this is a BIG city with a lot of people all shapes and colors to deal with at certain times of the day.  Different attitudes and situations can come towards one person in charge of public area like a station agent, security officer or any customer service employee. Maybe she was in a prior situation that became negative for her. It probably wasn't her day and so coming in contact with too many people she probably needed some space, who knows.   We all have bad days every once in a while. But at the end of the day we live and let live.

So this is a thing apparently, the MTA has posted potential expansions and enhancement projects that they're going to be evaluating: https://new.mta.info/20YN

Here are a few things I want to highlight from this:

Screenshot_20220726-164938.png

The first thing that was on the list and that was constructing a new 10 Av station for the (7). I'm a little confused on why this is being considered now, but I guess better late than never. How the station is the only thing I'm questioning right now, I definitely think it's a good investment. 

Here's hoping that they do actually not just say they're looking into a (3) extension in Brooklyn, but actually go for it this time to Gateway Center Mall.

Screenshot_20220726-165046.png

I'm a little confused as to why they said the (W) specifically when I personally think if they're going to use the Montague St tunnel as a new connection to some other area, maybe they might as well have sent the (W) through the old Court St station (NYTM) and have it run as the Fulton St local. I don't know, probably just me, it's not a bad idea anyway, just the execution might not work out too well.

e6aa9bd45ca2d09df58cd15abb0c632f.png

Saving the best for last as I covered upon this a while back on what the MTA could do and I'm very surprised the last bit of this was included. It's good that they're considering on expanding the SAS further past Lexington Av-125 St, I wouldn't have minded if they decided to just send trains to Broadway-125 St and call it a day. However, I'm really happy a CPW-SAS connection was included in this, this is a very good investment and adds to redundancy for all of CPW. I think it's good they didn't say which line would be planned for this connection, I can definitely see services being moved around to better fit the connection.

There are other things that I haven't pointed out because they didn't catch really catch my attention, so have fun looking around.

I'm not  sure how everyone feels about this, but does anyone think that we may need to put an end  to (J)(Z) skip-stop service as we know it?

1. The (J) COULD in theory have ran the (J)(Z) skip  stop service out of 121 St, since the service frequency on the (J) route in Jamaica did not change with the Archer Line track reconstruction. Both the (J)(Z) could have  started at 121 St, then the skip stop-service start from there, with the (Z) bypassing 111 St, the (J) bypassing 104  St, and etc.  as it normally does.

2. Does it seem more efficient to just run the (J) local from Myrtle Av all the way to Jamaica Center (or even the whole route from Broad St to Jamaica, even eliminating the one-way express service that only saves 60 seconds of travel time. 

3. Would it be more practical to have a different (J)(Z) service that operates as follows:

A. (J) (rush hours from 7AM to 9AM, towards Manhattan) - Jamaica Center to Broad St, making local stops between Jamaica and Crescent St, then stop ONLY at Broadway Junction, Myrtle Av, Marcy Av, Essex St, then all stops to Broad St  (maybe also include a short PM window from 5PM to 5:40PM to accommodate trains that have to go back to Manhattan to make their next Brooklyn trip)

B. (Z) (rush hours from 7AM to 9AM towards  Manhattan) - Crescent St to Broad St making all local stops (including local stops west of Myrtle Av) (Also maybe include a short PM windows similar to the (J) for reverse-peak commuting.

*this rush hour route would also run in the PM rush towards Jamaica from 4:20PM to 6:20PM ((J) express and (Z) as a short-turn local). And the Jamaica bound direction could also see this "zone-service" operate from 7:40AM to 8:30AM)

All  other times, the (J) would make ALL stops from Broad St to Jamaica Center. 

I see some pros and cons with each idea

1. PRO - we retain service as we have where each station has slightly faster service to Manhattan.

1. CON - service at all stations that are not express  / dual (J)(Z) stations have reduced service

2. PRO - each  station gets 2x as much service. Train loads are more evenly distributed and accounts for possible ridership shifts

2. CON - rush hour service becomes up to 7 minutes slower (closer to 7 minutes for those at the end of the line and about 3-4 minutes for those half-way)

3. PRO - New service pattern that gets all  customers on the outer zone into Brooklyn and  Manhattan  faster due to 11 stops getting skipped. A benefit over skip-stop service since the S curves at Crescent St and Cypress Hills do not cut into  the time savings that would be normally generated from having the (J)(Z)  both slow down to take the curves. Only one S curve left between Alabama Av and Broadway Jct. Also, all Jamaica East riders would have faster service and more evenly distributed train loads since only (J) trains would pick people up and at ALL stops east of Crescent St. Those WEST of Crescent St would have slightly slower commutes, but partially negligible changes due to the S curve @ Broadway Jct mitigating some of the previous time-saves. Also those customers along Broadway Brooklyn AND the elevated Fulton St would have emptier trains on the new (Z) proposal. Riders West of Myrtle Av would also have more frequent local service, and the  EAST-bound express (J) service could be given a priority over the (M) crossing over it at Myrtle Av, allowing for that service to be sped up there. Again, the (J) would skip 11 stops between Broad St and Crescent St, three to four stops at a time, meaning less acceleration / deceleration of the train and possibly more time-savings. 

3. CONS - fumigation then required @ Crescent St for the (Z) that MIGHT slow down the (J) headed towards Jamaica. Precise timing. Doesn't significantly improve service frequency at individual stations except express stations as we have now with the skip-stop (J)(Z). Passenger loads are yet to be determined on this zone-service. LESS frequent service rush hours to/from the airport, Woodhaven Blvd, and Jamaica Center. New switch operations required @ Crescent St to turn around the (Z) trains on the middle track.

Just a thought. You would have to weigh out the advantage of truly faster service for those east of Crescent St vs. less frequent Jamaica Center service vs. slower service for those west of Crescent St. Let me know what you think.

1. Keep (J)(Z) as is

2. (J) local all the way all times

3. (J)(Z) zone express service AM and PM rush hours with expanded hours (7AM to 9AM, 4:20PM to 6:20PM) ; (J) FULLY local other times.

https://ibb.co/dbzfVYY 

Unauthorized person at Lex-53rd Street sent this (E) train up Central Park West. C/R initially had the train signed up to 168th St, but switched the program to 145th St after a few stops. The announcements themselves were glitched, with the train announcing itself as "Manhattan bound" the entire time. Interesting catch.

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

I'm not  sure how everyone feels about this, but does anyone think that we may need to put an end  to (J)(Z) skip-stop service as we know it?

1. The (J) COULD in theory have ran the (J)(Z) skip  stop service out of 121 St, since the service frequency on the (J) route in Jamaica did not change with the Archer Line track reconstruction. Both the (J)(Z) could have  started at 121 St, then the skip stop-service start from there, with the (Z) bypassing 111 St, the (J) bypassing 104  St, and etc.  as it normally does.

2. Does it seem more efficient to just run the (J) local from Myrtle Av all the way to Jamaica Center (or even the whole route from Broad St to Jamaica, even eliminating the one-way express service that only saves 60 seconds of travel time. 

3. Would it be more practical to have a different (J)(Z) service that operates as follows:

A. (J) (rush hours from 7AM to 9AM, towards Manhattan) - Jamaica Center to Broad St, making local stops between Jamaica and Crescent St, then stop ONLY at Broadway Junction, Myrtle Av, Marcy Av, Essex St, then all stops to Broad St  (maybe also include a short PM window from 5PM to 5:40PM to accommodate trains that have to go back to Manhattan to make their next Brooklyn trip)

B. (Z) (rush hours from 7AM to 9AM towards  Manhattan) - Crescent St to Broad St making all local stops (including local stops west of Myrtle Av) (Also maybe include a short PM windows similar to the (J) for reverse-peak commuting.

*this rush hour route would also run in the PM rush towards Jamaica from 4:20PM to 6:20PM ((J) express and (Z) as a short-turn local). And the Jamaica bound direction could also see this "zone-service" operate from 7:40AM to 8:30AM)

1. PRO - we retain service as we have where each station has slightly faster service to Manhattan.

1. CON - service at all stations that are not express  / dual (J)(Z) stations have reduced service

2. PRO - each  station gets 2x as much service. Train loads are more evenly distributed and accounts for possible ridership shifts

2. CON - rush hour service becomes up to 7 minutes slower (closer to 7 minutes for those at the end of the line and about 3-4 minutes for those half-way)

3. PRO - New service pattern that gets all  customers on the outer zone into Brooklyn and  Manhattan  faster due to 11 stops getting skipped. A benefit over skip-stop service since the S curves at Crescent St and Cypress Hills do not cut into  the time savings that would be normally generated from having the (J)(Z)  both slow down to take the curves. Only one S curve left between Alabama Av and Broadway Jct. Also, all Jamaica East riders would have faster service and more evenly distributed train loads since only (J) trains would pick people up and at ALL stops east of Crescent St. Those WEST of Crescent St would have slightly slower commutes, but partially negligible changes due to the S curve @ Broadway Jct mitigating some of the previous time-saves. Also those customers along Broadway Brooklyn AND the elevated Fulton St would have emptier trains on the new (Z) proposal. Riders West of Myrtle Av would also have more frequent local service, and the  EAST-bound express (J) service could be given a priority over the (M) crossing over it at Myrtle Av, allowing for that service to be sped up there. Again, the (J) would skip 11 stops between Broad St and Crescent St, three to four stops at a time, meaning less acceleration / deceleration of the train and possibly more time-savings. 

3. CONS - fumigation then required @ Crescent St for the (Z) that MIGHT slow down the (J) headed towards Jamaica. Precise timing. Doesn't significantly improve service frequency at individual stations except express stations as we have now with the skip-stop (J)(Z). Passenger loads are yet to be determined on this zone-service. LESS frequent service rush hours to/from the airport, Woodhaven Blvd, and Jamaica Center. New switch operations required @ Crescent St to turn around the (Z) trains on the middle track.

Just a thought. You would have to weigh out the advantage of truly faster service for those east of Crescent St vs. less frequent Jamaica Center service vs. slower service for those west of Crescent St. Let me know what you think.

1. Keep (J)(Z) as is

3. (J)(Z) zone express service AM and PM rush hours with expanded hours (7AM to 9AM, 4:20PM to 6:20PM) ; (J) FULLY local other times.

Keep the (Z). I used to commute to school during the times skip stop was in operation in 2005 and it was an time saver. No need to tinker with J/Z service.

6 hours ago, Vulturious said:

So this is a thing apparently, the MTA has posted potential expansions and enhancement projects that they're going to be evaluating: https://new.mta.info/20YN

The first thing that was on the list and that was constructing a new 10 Av station for the (7). I'm a little confused on why this is being considered now, but I guess better late than never. How the station is the only thing I'm questioning right now, I definitely think it's a good investment. 

Here's hoping that they do actually not just say they're looking into a (3) extension in Brooklyn, but actually go for it this time to Gateway Center Mall.

I'm a little confused as to why they said the (W) specifically when I personally think if they're going to use the Montague St tunnel as a new connection to some other area, maybe they might as well have sent the (W) through the old Court St station (NYTM) and have it run as the Fulton St local. I don't know, probably just me, it's not a bad idea anyway, just the execution might not work out too well.

Saving the best for last as I covered upon this a while back on what the MTA could do and I'm very surprised the last bit of this was included. It's good that they're considering on expanding the SAS further past Lexington Av-125 St, I wouldn't have minded if they decided to just send trains to Broadway-125 St and call it a day. However, I'm really happy a CPW-SAS connection was included in this, this is a very good investment and adds to redundancy for all of CPW. I think it's good they didn't say which line would be planned for this connection, I can definitely see services being moved around to better fit the connection.

There are other things that I haven't pointed out because they didn't catch really catch my attention, so have fun looking around.

Well it is nice to see those expansions on their. How much or how serious the consideration they’re going to give to any one of them is anyone’s guess, though I would rather see them do the (W) as a connection to the Fulton Local too.

5 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

1. Keep (J)(Z) as is

I like the idea of the zoned express, but I wonder how it can be done - especially in the northbound direction - without an express (J) getting stuck behind a local (Z).

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Well it is nice to see those expansions on their. How much or how serious the consideration they’re going to give to any one of them is anyone’s guess, though I would rather see them do the (W) as a connection to the Fulton Local too.

Right? This could then benefit big time for riders along Fulton, Broadway, and Astoria with dircet service between each other. This could also go well with a Broadway-CPW connection and/or like the MTA mentioned with a connection between CPW and SAS. Speaking of a Broadway-CPW connection, I'm very surprised that wasn't considered or acknowledged yet a CPW-SAS connection was, very strange indeed. Although I'm not going to complain, it'll still be worth.

10 hours ago, Vulturious said:

The 10th Avenue-41st Street stop should have been built with the extension but we had a little thing called the Great Recession at the time that prevented such.

The (W) one is interesting.  Perhaps that could be better done instead of doing it that way, doing it off the 8th Avenue line (there are provisions for this built in at Canal Street on that line) via a new Worth Street crosstown that perhaps could also include re-opening the Worth Street station on the (6) (and expanding the northbound side to fit 10 cars as the southbound side was before it closed in 1962) and using exits from the (6) station for a stop by this new line, then running it in Brooklyn as noted above.  This could be new routing for the (C) train (with it becoming 24/7 at least to Penn Station at all times and to 168 other than late nights) while the (E) goes back to being a full-time express on 8th Avenue south of 50th, replacing the (C) to Euclid in Brooklyn and a new, limited run (K) train (2-5 TPH as a supplemental line running at all times) running what actually was its route the last time it operated as such in the 1980's from Chambers-WTC to 168.  

I had a few years back proposed extending the (3) the way here, except going further and having it run into Queens and to what would be a new elevated level above the existing (A) train that would run to Howard Beach (directly above the (A)) with another stop above the (A) that would be done in between the existing Aqueduct Racetrack and Aqueduct-North Conduit Avenue stations with exits that connect to both the existing (A) stations at each end (and an overpass at the end near the racetrack on the (3) to directly access the racetrack platform on the (A) to exit).

The SAS extension across 125 is something I would do anyway as an extension of Phase 2, including the connection to the 8th Avenue Line that I would do at St. Nicholas.  This would potentially allow the (Q) to go to a terminal at 125-Broadway and also perhaps the (T) running in upper Manhattan via the 8th Avenue line, but even if not, this can be an important connection for G.O.'s or emergency situations where the (A)(B)(C) and/or (D) have to run via the SAS to 63rd/Lex where they can then connect with the 6th Avenue line (and the (A) and (C) then returning to the 8th Avenue line at West 4th or in Brooklyn at Jay-Metrotech).  This to me would be a very important connection to the rest of the system. 

13 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Keep the (Z). I used to commute to school during the times skip stop was in operation in 2005 and it was an time saver. No need to tinker with J/Z service.

Not even to extend it for more than just the 50 minutes each morning and afternoon that the (Z) ran? I think that whatever usefulness it has is somewhat hampered by running it for such a short period. 

8 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Right? This could then benefit big time for riders along Fulton, Broadway, and Astoria with dircet service between each other. This could also go well with a Broadway-CPW connection and/or like the MTA mentioned with a connection between CPW and SAS. Speaking of a Broadway-CPW connection, I'm very surprised that wasn't considered or acknowledged yet a CPW-SAS connection was, very strange indeed. Although I'm not going to complain, it'll still be worth.

Where would the Broadway Line connect to the CPW line? The CPW line is double-decked better Columbus Circle and 110th St, so that’s not a good place to make such connection.

6 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Not even to extend it for more than just the 50 minutes each morning and afternoon that the (Z) ran? I think that whatever usefulness it has is somewhat hampered by running it for such a short period. 

Where would the Broadway Line connect to the CPW line? The CPW line is double-decked better Columbus Circle and 110th St, so that’s not a good place to make such connection.

Yeah, I would extend the time period the skip stop runs. Only change I would make.

People have actually been advocating for that in railfan internet circles for years :lol:

8 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

The connection would be north of 57 St-7 Av using the provisions from the local tracks that would connect somewhere between Columbus Circle and 72 St. It's definitely going to be tricky to pull off you're right, but I don't think it's impossible, who knows.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:50 PM, trainfan22 said:

There is an obsession of wanting the (Z) gone amongst foamers. They never ride the (Z) daily until the R32s started running on it. The (Z) works and it pisses me off when people compare it to the (1) / (9).

8 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The (Z) works

The (Z) is a trade-off between trip time and wait time. I suspect the amount of time saved just breaks even with the mean wait time if your commute starts or ends at a (Z)(J)-exclusive station. The winners are those whose stops are served by both.

I should have stated that I am not against the current (J)(Z) service. I only brought up the idea since it seemed the MTA might be simultaneously be performing a study to see commuting Patterns under a “local-only” (J) pattern since we have this 3-month closure of the Jamaica / Archer Line. 

Real talk, the (MTA) continually says they have no money, yet they're paying people $30/hr to sit in subway booths and do nothing but play on their phone and give attitudes to customers who need help. How much money is the TA loosing because of this?

And I'm not saying fire them, reassign them to other positions that need people, like Conductor, Platform Conductors, etc etc.