SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Since 6th Avenue is getting CBTC early than expected, this is my assumptions for which lines get the 211s and 160s

(A) 211s mixed with 179s same with the (C)

(B) will get 160s

(D) will be fully 211s

(E) will be mixed with 160s and 211s

(F) will just be 160s

What do you think?

The Last part, The (F) would probably get the majority of the R211 fleet when Jamaica gets them. The (E) is a mixed bag because if it's open gangway, The Line superintendent probably  would throw a fit due to the (E) being homeless central. But realistically they always make sure the (F)  get the newest equipment first, It's always been like that until the R160's. The (F) originally was supposed to be first for the R160's then the (E) early to mid 2009 but the (E) line superintendent wasn't having it so they took a 4 car R160A-1 from ENY and started R160 qualifying (E) crews and burn testing as well. The majority of the (F) line crew were already Qualified to operate R160's as far back as July 2008 when they had a plan to use a few CI R160's on the (F) until Jamaica got theirs in late 2008. When the R160's debuted on the (E) , Half of the (E) line crew weren't R160 qualified.

9 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Since 6th Avenue is getting CBTC early than expected, this is my assumptions for which lines get the 211s and 160s

(A) 211s mixed with 179s same with the (C)

(B) will get 160s

(D) will be fully 211s

(E) will be mixed with 160s and 211s

(F) will just be 160s

What do you think?

Sounds about right For the (A)(B)(D) and (E). But I think the (F) will also be a mix just like the (E) and ditto for the (R). Jamaica won’t have time to care about which NTT car runs in their route just like what happened with the Cuomo R160s that were supposed to run on the (E) only.

Differences and things you may have missed

- (C) - the R179s will likely be all 10-car, and yes shared with the (A)

- (J) - R179s (all 188 8-car arranged cars), R143, R160A-1

- (M) - R160A-1, 8-car R211s

- (L) - R143, R160A-1

- (N)(W) - R68, R160 (Coney Island cars that are NOT assigned to the (B))

- (Q) - R68, R68A

Edited by darkstar8983

18 hours ago, VIP said:

Let’s not forget that R68 or 68A in (A) PM rush service. 

Oh yeah, the (B) train trip that ends at 145 St upper level. This, the R68 that runs on the (Q) (from the (B) ) in the evening , and the 96 St (R) that changes to a (Q) for the 8:08AM or 8:15AM trip to Coney Island just shows how short the spare factor is

Edited by darkstar8983

Is there any daily ridership data for the subway lines? The only source I could find on wikipedia said the (A) had a daily ridership of around 600,000 and the (C) had 250,000 but that appears to have been an estimate because none of the other lines had them.

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Oh yeah, the (B) train trip that ends at 145 St upper level. This, the R68 that runs on the (Q) (from the (B) ) in the evening , and the 96 St (R) that changes to a (Q) for the 8:08AM or 8:15AM trip to Coney Island just shows how short the spare factor is

Each of these trains that runs a trip or round trip on the (Q) is probably extra service to accommodate extra passengers over Second Av line. 

34 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Each of these trains that runs a trip or round trip on the (Q) is probably extra service to accommodate extra passengers over Second Av line. 

Right, and since there aren’t enough cars to just run extra round-trip (Q) trains, they need to do this

On 7/31/2022 at 9:49 PM, trainfan22 said:

Westchester has R62As now and the cars are in good shape. R188s which is just an R142A with CBTC runs the same as they did when Westchester had them and the MDBF jumped up  then dropped though the floor, IIRC the Bombardier R142s now have an higher MDBF than the both the 2013 built R188s AND the converted sets.

If Jerome is to blame for the 142As condition then why aren't the Bombardier R142s there having the same problems?

Maybe just maybe, the R142A/188 is just a shitty subway car:lol: I like them but they are easily the worst of the NTT car classes.

BTW I don't think individual maintenance shops get to choose to have digital ads installed on their tech trains, I would imagine someone higher in the NYCT rankings makes those decisions. Some of the R143s also has those digital ads.

This doesn't explain why Jerome's R142As look so dirty compared to their R142s. Any observant rider like myself can tell the difference between the two, not just by their sounds, but also how clean & dirty they are. Clearly Jerome's 142s received some type of treatment that their 142As haven't received yet. Hopefully, they get their treatment soon, cuz they're definitely an eyesore in their current condition.

BTW, I'm a new member on the forums.

Got on a (7) local train that went express from Queensboro Plaza to 74th Street, didn't even stop at 61st Street. All cool....until the guy comes in noticeably fast info 74th Street, and then there's a hard brake.

Sure enough, the conductor makes an announcement that the train overshot by one full car at 74th Street. Ultimately, it ended up skipping 74th Street and went to 82nd Street. That time savings went immediately out the window, smh.

3 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

This doesn't explain why Jerome's R142As look so dirty compared to their R142s. Any observant rider like myself can tell the difference between the two, not just by their sounds, but also how clean & dirty they are. Clearly Jerome's 142s received some type of treatment that their 142As haven't received yet. Hopefully, they get their treatment soon, cuz they're definitely an eyesore in their current condition.

BTW, I'm a new member on the forums.

In my observation they are equally dirty on the outside *shrugs* Ethier way I hope the (4) line fleet get washed soon as well. The A & C line fleet recently got washed and the cars look so much better.

Welcome to the forums!

Edited by trainfan22

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

In my observation they are equally dirty on the outside *shrugs* Ethier way I hope the (4) line fleet get washed soon as well. The A & C line fleet recently got washed and the cars look so much better.

Welcome to the forums!

I kinda agree to a certain extent. I know the 4 line's R142s aren't perfect, but they don't appear to be in as rough condition as the R142As, which is why I feel Jerome cares more for their 142s than their 142as. The main issue with the R142A/188 & R143 is that Adtranz propulsion which causes them all to buck and jerk so much. Despite this, many railfans like the R142As over the R142s because they like the propulsion sound better, not necessarily because they're more reliable. Kawasaki definitely got the worst end of the deal with that particular group of trains (R142A/188, R143). Bombardier got the better end of the deal with the R142s because they have the Alstom ONIX propulsion, which is a much smoother ride overall. The ones on the 2 & 5 lines look great, even though they do buck a little, but still not as much as the other lines.

Also Thanks BTW.

On 7/31/2022 at 7:07 PM, Calvin said:

To be honest, yes. When the (6) had 7211-7670, they were falling apart with the screeching brakes and buckings on those cars. 

Screeching brakes are common on alot of car classes, so I wouldn't stress on that as much, even though it is usually caused by improper maintenance. On the other hand, the bucking that you're referring to is mainly caused by that crappy Adtranz propulsion system that plagues the R142A/188 & 143 car classes. Adtranz was a horrible rail manufacturer, which is why they only lasted 5 years in the rail business before ultimately being folded into Bombardier. Bombardier itself would eventually be folded into Alstom 20 years later.

Today the (4) train I rode from Utica to Grand Central I assume the automated announcement system wasn't working as the C/R made manual announcements at every stop. 

Also been on an (L) train not too long ago where the automated announce system was out of sync and the C/R had to make manual announcements.

14 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Today the (4) train I rode from Utica to Grand Central I assume the automated announcement system wasn't working as the C/R made manual announcements at every stop. 

Also been on an (L) train not too long ago where the automated announce system was out of sync and the C/R had to make manual announcements.

sometimes there is a bit of de-sync when the trains change boroughs (idk why)

2 hours ago, VIP said:

Anyone know which Siemens R160’s set entered service first and why Kawasaki or the TA decide to manufacture only 260 cars of that propulsion specifically??

8843-8852. I remember that the pilot Siemens set needed more testing before running regular service on the (N). Then there were issues with the gear boxes on the Siemens cars. The last unit that entered service was 9003-9012 (this set was skipped over while the rest of the Siemens cars were put in service)

Edited by darkstar8983