SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

12 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Starting next weekend the TOMC will run express on the local track.

Always thought having these old cars making all those stops was an bad idea cause of increased chance of door problems. Will suck when the train catches up to a regular (1) train and will have to crawl behind it, that is annoying as hell regardless of equipment.

It's going to suck because this train will catch up to a regular (1) train when it goes express. They were better off doing Harlem 148th to times sq on the (3) or E180th to times Sq on the (2) like in 2004. Have it go express between E180th and 3rd ave 149th and regular (2) stops to times sq.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Calvin said:

They need to revamp that car cleaning program that they started a few years ago. The stations aren't the only things that look like sh!t.

12 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It's going to suck because this train will catch up to a regular (1) train when it goes express. They were better off doing Harlem 148th to times sq on the (3) or E180th to times Sq on the (2) like in 2004. Have it go express between E180th and 3rd ave 149th and regular (2) stops to times sq.

They’ll realize it after next Sunday and run it express from chambers to 96 then local from EXP track to the Local after 96 Street… trial and error at this point. 🙄

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2022/11/30/mta-budget-proposed-fare-hike

here we go again - another fiscal cliff that the MTA must try to figure itself out of before we start hearing of catastrophic service cuts again.

if I had to interject, there are ways costs could be cut down but would require capital investment short term and some slight service scale backs.

1. look at operations on subway lines that have relays at their terminals to see if there’s a way to physically install crossovers before the end of the line to improve turnaround times.

2. some de-interlining 

3. Scaling back midday service (10:15AM to 3PM) on A division routes from 8 minutes ( on the IRT express ) to every 10 minutes. Scale back local service (1) and (6) to every 6 minutes (and all midday (6) trains to Pelham Bay + no express service from 10AM to 3PM). Also scale back B division services to every 12 minutes on the (B)(C)(D)(G)(J)(M)(N)(Q) and (R) trains, scaling back service on the (A)(E)(F) and (L) to every 10 minutes. Evening service needs a similar scale back.

4. Eliminate the (W) train and run (N) service local in Manhattan between 34 St and Canal St (unless ridership levels justify just having the (R) serve the local stops). I think the (R) can handle the local alone considering the (R)(W) always bunch anyways. leave the (N) headway as is. 

5. Weekend service keep as is except the (L) - scale down to every 10 minutes weekends. Scale down the (G)(J)(M) trains to every 12 minutes.

6. As for buses and rail, maybe someone that is familiar with ridership and service scheduling there can post in the appropriate forum

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2022/11/30/mta-budget-proposed-fare-hike

here we go again - another fiscal cliff that the MTA must try to figure itself out of before we start hearing of catastrophic service cuts again.

if I had to interject, there are ways costs could be cut down but would require capital investment short term and some slight service scale backs.

1. look at operations on subway lines that have relays at their terminals to see if there’s a way to physically install crossovers before the end of the line to improve turnaround times.

2. some de-interlining 

3. Scaling back midday service (10:15AM to 3PM) on A division routes from 8 minutes ( on the IRT express ) to every 10 minutes. Scale back local service (1) and (6) to every 6 minutes (and all midday (6) trains to Pelham Bay + no express service from 10AM to 3PM). Also scale back B division services to every 12 minutes on the (B)(C)(D)(G)(J)(M)(N)(Q) and (R) trains, scaling back service on the (A)(E)(F) and (L) to every 10 minutes. Evening service needs a similar scale back.

4. Eliminate the (W) train and run (N) service local in Manhattan between 34 St and Canal St (unless ridership levels justify just having the (R) serve the local stops). I think the (R) can handle the local alone considering the (R)(W) always bunch anyways. leave the (N) headway as is. 

5. Weekend service keep as is except the (L) - scale down to every 10 minutes weekends. Scale down the (G)(J)(M) trains to every 12 minutes.

6. As for buses and rail, maybe someone that is familiar with ridership and service scheduling there can post in the appropriate forum

Well, we all saw this coming at some point. The question that remains now is what kind of fare hikes & service cuts will we see? We'll find out soon.

Do you even ride the (L) line to propose cutting it back to 10 minute headways? The line has rush hour like crowds whenever it runs on 8 minute headway on weekends due to G.Os and we have posters on here suggesting that they extend the midday & weekend (L) headway. It's sometimes SRO WITH the 4-5 minute headway off peak.

42 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Do you even ride the (L) line to propose cutting it back to 10 minute headways? The line has rush hour like crowds whenever it runs on 8 minute headway on weekends due to G.Os and we have posters on here suggesting that they extend the midday & weekend (L) headway. It's sometimes SRO WITH the 4-5 minute headway off peak.

Actually I do and people will just tough it out. There will be some areas hit harder than others I will admit but New Yorkers are tough. I mean look at Astoria. I took away the (W) and left them with just the current haphazard (N) service

Edited by darkstar8983

This is literally the only way to logically reduce service to stay within the budget:

(3)| 145th St is perm closed.

(B)| Eliminated.

(C)| 145th St-Lefferts Blvd. Service reduced to every 10 minutes.

(D)| Bronx Express Eliminated. 

(E)| Service to/from 179th St eliminated.

(G)| Cut back to Hoyt-Schermon full time on outer platform.

(M)| Rerouted to/from 96th St.

(W)| Eliminated.

(Z)| Eliminated.

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

This is literally the only way to logically reduce service to stay within the budget:

(3)| 145th St is perm closed.

(B)| Eliminated.

(C)| 145th St-Lefferts Blvd. Service reduced to every 10 minutes.

(D)| Bronx Express Eliminated. 

(E)| Service to/from 179th St eliminated.

(G)| Cut back to Hoyt-Schermon full time on outer platform.

(M)| Rerouted to/from 96th St.

(W)| Eliminated.

(Z)| Eliminated.

I’m not sure what you’re attempting to accomplish here but if you want to close 145th Street on the (3) where is the great savings coming from ? You do realize that the closed stations on the Seventh Avenue and Lexington Avenue lines still use electricity, right ? Are you advocating for the closure of the Transit Museum with your Hoyt- Schermerhorn idea ? Electricity still flows through the 3rd rail to and from Court Street. My colleagues foresaw this financial crisis a few years ago. Back then they, through my posting, advocated for a return to pre-1982 service levels on the IRT. No express service in Brooklyn non rush hours. Pelham (6) trains between PB Park and 125 midnights. Less service during the same time frame in the BMT and the IND. Spread the pain around so to speak. Sound fair to you ? What I’m getting at is that you seem to want to screw over some people while you ignore others. The only thing that I and my colleagues are advocating is any service cuts that might be needed should be done system wide rather than piecemeal. The person who enters at Parsons-Archer is paying the same fare as someone who enters at Pennsylvania Station or New Lots. Just a few opinions from some oldtimers. Carry on.

Eliminating the (B) and (Z) is a no go. No way the (Q) could handle Brighton by itself on weekdays and the (Z) , the headways would stay the same if the Z was cut so you'd save no money. 

Also its impossible for a (G) train terminate on the outer tracks at Hoyt because the crosstown line tracks doesn't connect to the outer tracks at Hoyt. 

Its been discussed on railfan spaces online to cut the (W) back when SAS first opened, and those in favor of keeping the (W) say its needed for capacity reasons on the Astoria Line during rush hours.

18 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Eliminating the (B) and (Z) is a no go. No way the (Q) could handle Brighton by itself on weekdays and the (Z) , the headways would stay the same if the Z was cut so you'd save no money. 

Also its impossible for a (G) train terminate on the outer tracks at Hoyt because the crosstown line tracks doesn't connect to the outer tracks at Hoyt. 

Its been discussed on railfan spaces online to cut the (W) back when SAS first opened, and those in favor of keeping the (W) say its needed for capacity reasons on the Astoria Line during rush hours.

Thanks for the (G) train correction ✌🏾. Don’t know how I missed that one.

21 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

To add onto why eliminating both the (B) definitely isn't going to happen, there's also no way the (C) and (D) could handle on their own either, I should know since I always end up seeing more (B)'s than (D)'s every single time I'm in Manhattan during the weekdays, especially with the (C) already having it's own issues. 

What's even more impossible for the (G) to terminate at on the outer tracks at Hoyt is that there aren't any track connections to any other line outside of QBL and South Brooklyn. There aren't any relay switches at that station either. I fail to see how the (G) cutting back to Hoyt makes it any better?

The (W) is a weird case since it's the only line that could theoretically be cut. I would personally keep it around because it has helped me out a few times when I needed a train in general, only thing I wished is that it ran in and out of Brooklyn more often. I have been lucky a few times when I've seen the (W) running in Brooklyn and needed a train, I'm still a little surprised the (MTA) doesn't try to run more (W) service.

12 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Yeah and ending the (C) at 145th (likely on the lower level) would be more of annoyance than an actual cut

Ending the (C) there would be actually pretty cost-saving because the running time would be reduced AND no relays at 168’St, just Euclid Av. But if it is at the expense of the (B), then no-go. The previous post is right - the (B) provides slightly more weekday Manhattan-Brooklyn service than the (D) in the peak direction (especially the morning) and obviously provides more service than the (C).

Today is the new pick for the MTA New York City Subway: 

One of the lines have adjusted changes to its timetable. 

The (7) Flushing line: 

PM put-ins out of Corona Yard leaving 111 St before today: 4:27 PM, 4:32 PM, 4:38 PM, 4:40 PM, 4:48 PM, 4:50 PM, 4:58 PM, 5:00 PM, 5:09 PM, 5:11 PM, 5:15 PM and 5:17 PM 

Current: 3:52 PM, 4:18 PM, 4:32 PM, 4:36 PM, 4:38 PM, 4:40 PM, 4:48 PM, 4:50 PM, 4:58 PM, 5:03 PM, 5:05 PM, 5:15 PM and 5:17 PM. 1 Extra added put-in from the CBTC Flushing line. 

Adjustments made at Flushing-Main St, Mets-Willets Point dropout was cut (9:30 AM before today leaving Hudson Yards and 5:04 PM on Friday, 12/2, 5:14 PM was moved from the 5:09 PM departure to Mets-Willets Point)

https://new.mta.info/document/9461

The (B) Brighton / 6 Av Express line: 

Going to Brighton Beach, additional time was added by 2-5 minutes. 

Leaving Brighton Beach, 2-3 mins early than before. 

https://new.mta.info/document/9481

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

R62A 1986-1990, Westchester (6) is going to be on the (1) 240 St as a 5-car substitute for 1896-1900 that'll be rebuilt till around mid 2023 or later. 

Anybody know what was the main issue that requires a rebuilt with that set exactly?

On 12/3/2022 at 7:51 AM, darkstar8983 said:

2. some de-interlining 

Points 1 and 2, they should definitely consider. Points 3-5, not so much. Cutting midday and weekend service isn’t going to save much and it’s going to drive riders away…to their cars, if they have any. And cutting the (W) will be a drop in the bucket, just as it was in 2010. And the Broadway Line was a real shit show from 2010-16, what with all the excessive merging it had. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

24 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Points 1 and 2, they should definitely consider. Points 3-5, not so much. Cutting midday and weekend service isn’t going to save much and it’s going to drive riders away…to their cars, if they have any. And cutting the (W) will be a drop in the bucket, just as it was in 2010. And the Broadway Line was a real shit show from 2010-16, what with all the excessive merging it had. 

1. Yes some form of de-interlining should happen if it is cost effective and doesn’t force 99% of passengers to transfer

2. dropping the (W) this time just keeps the prince street switches in service 24/7 but the 34 St switches are now locked in place since the (Q) goes up to 2 Av and only the (N) goes to Astoria.

3. A lot of the midday trains have been carrying air lately.

4. The reason why rush hour service (with the exception of the (N) in Astoria) cannot be cut is because even though the ridership is ~65% of what it was in 2019, the trains are still packed like sardines since the trains are still reaching their peak loading point in the outer boroughs and in working class neighborhoods. For example, eliminating even ONE (7) train trip would spell pandemonium because of how well ridership has rebound on the line. The issue is that as ridership continues to pick back up, the trains are no longer going to fit passengers and people will now start being left on the platforms waiting for multiple trains to pass by.

5. new funding sources are needed like in other metro systems - the MTA is providing a public service yet is being treated as if it were offering Botox injections that are not subsidized by the government and entirely covered by private debt and fares/revenue from the passengers.

6 A PSA to those who ride the subway - those of you farebeaters?! This is partly your fault - costing the agency 1/2 a BILLION $$$ in just this year, and then you complain why your service gets cut. They need an automatic system to enforce fare payment that is cost effective, maybe like harsh penalties for those caught.