SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There's an reddit thread about this, but it hasn’t had an update in a while.

Otherwise, there's no tracker for subway cars for the public like they there is for the buses.

Best bet is to wait at Atlantic Ave until it shows up, or you can ask the NYCT twitter page.

Don't ask the official NYCT twitter for the location of a specific trains. That is a twitter page for real information, not for wasting resources to placate teenage railfans.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

Hello.

Theres an R46 on the (B) as of this moment. 

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

image0.png

It's funny 'cause I saw an R46 at Concourse yard earlier (sometime around 2:30PM), and I was wondering what it was doing there.

One of the numbers was 5578; can anyone on here confirm the numbers of this train currently on the (B) ?

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

There's an reddit thread about this, but it hasn’t had an update in a while.

Otherwise, there's no tracker for subway cars for the public like there is for the buses.

Best bet is to wait at Atlantic Ave until it shows up, or you can ask the NYCT twitter page.

Will it be running tommorow then? I have no time to go down there just to see it

3 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Pretty sure this is a one time event only, eventually the R46 set will return on the (N)(Q) or (W) 

it's in concourse yard right now and there's a GO on the concourse this weekend. unless they deadhead the train before the GO starts, it'll run in (B) service Monday morning.

Thanks to G.Os over the past couple of years, technically it's been possible to ride R46 on the (B) line trackage over the years.

Brighton Express - (N) via Brighton G.O

6th Ave - (Q) via 6th Ave G.O

Concourse - (C) to 205th G.O

Under normal circumstances, one would be able to ride between Propect Park - DeKalb on the (Q) and CPW on the (C)

Except for 47th-50th - 59th Street, I ridden an R46 over 98 percent of the (B) line route without officially riding an R46 (B) train. 

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Listen I don’t need your sarcasm. Brooklyn Bridge is a complex with Chambers St and collectively known as Brooklyn Bridge-Chambers St. 

Collectively known by whom ? Not in the real world. What BMT train stops at Brooklyn Bridge ? Back when I was a RR Porter I cleaned the Chambers St BMT station overnight. The work program was in a booth on the BMT side. My neighbor cleaned the IRT Brooklyn Bridge station that same night. 8 PM-4AM . His work program was in the booth at the south end of the IRT station. 

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Collectively known by whom ? Not in the real world. What BMT train stops at Brooklyn Bridge ? Back when I was a RR Porter I cleaned the Chambers St BMT station overnight. The work program was in a booth on the BMT side. My neighbor cleaned the IRT Brooklyn Bridge station that same night. 8 PM-4AM . His work program was in the booth at the south end of the IRT station. 

By most commuters. If you say Brooklyn Bridge their gonna ask you the (J) or the (6)? Even the complex is named Brooklyn Bridge-Chambers St.

37 minutes ago, Lex said:

[citation needed]

I know that the (4) , (5) and the (6) stop at Brooklyn Bridge- City Hall station. That’s the name of the IRT station. It was also called Brooklyn Bridge-Worth St when the platforms were extended north to the old Worth St station. The (J) , (Z) ,old TT West End also terminated there middays before 1967 and the new service realignment. That BMT station was Chambers Street station with Municipal Building added signage on the mezzanine leading to the street. I cleaned it and traveled through it many times. The only BMT station that I know that is labeled as City Hall is located on the other side of the City Hall complex where the BMT Broadway local (R) and (W) now stop. My memories. Might be outdated now but…… Carry on.

a

7 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

It's funny 'cause I saw an R46 at Concourse yard earlier (sometime around 2:30PM), and I was wondering what it was doing there.

One of the numbers was 5578; can anyone on here confirm the numbers of this train currently on the (B) ?

5578-5581 and 5682-5685.

From Bronx-Bedford Park Blvd to Brighton Beach, R46 code says: B: BRIGHTON BEACH, 6 AV EXP and BRIGHTON EXP.

While vice versa, B: BEDFORD PK BLVD, 6 Av EXP, CENT PK W LCL and CONCOURSE LCL

* That R46 was lended from Broadway bc of a shortage of R68/As they had. One of them had mechanical problems from what I can think of. 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

5578-5581 and 5682-5685.

From Bronx-Bedford Park Blvd to Brighton Beach, R46 code says: B: BRIGHTON BEACH, 6 AV EXP and BRIGHTON EXP.

* That R46 was lended from Broadway bc of a shortage of R68/As they had. One of them had mechanical problems from what I can think of. 

This goes to show that spare factor is still a big issue because likely, for the (Q) to be able to run R68/R68A cars on weekday service, it must borrow from the (B) pool, since 12 R68/R68A trains must be available for (N)(W) service (plus the two 2 R68/R68A trains that are set aside as part of the spare factor for the (N)).
Assuming the (B) used exclusively R68A cars to make service (to make the math simpler, since the (B) needs 25 trains (200 R68A cars) to make service, this leaves Broadway Line with R68s 2768-2916 (148 cars = 18.5 trains (and are on paper assigned to the (N)(W) while the (Q) is exclusively R46). From there depending on how many are available for service, that is why likely an R46 had to run on the (B), since CIY has to run as many R68s for Broadway as possible because of poor R46 performance.

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

5578-5581 and 5682-5685.

Yep, I saw a video last night and was able to confirm the numbers. I could've taken a photo yesterday and posted it here, but it didn't cross my mind in that moment. 

Thanks for double confirming. The help is always appreciated.

7 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

This goes to show that spare factor is still a big issue because likely, for the (Q) to be able to run R68/R68A cars on weekday service, it must borrow from the (B) pool, since 12 R68/R68A trains must be available for (N)(W) service (plus the two 2 R68/R68A trains that are set aside as part of the spare factor for the (N)).
Assuming the (B) used exclusively R68A cars to make service (to make the math simpler, since the (B) needs 25 trains (200 R68A cars) to make service, this leaves Broadway Line with R68s 2768-2916 (148 cars = 18.5 trains (and are on paper assigned to the (N)(W) while the (Q) is exclusively R46). From there depending on how many are available for service, that is why likely an R46 had to run on the (B), since CIY has to run as many R68s for Broadway as possible because of poor R46 performance.

On top of that, the spare R68s and R68As that were at C.I Yard were also involved in vandalism. If the spare R68 or R68A is available at C.I Yard, they can use it. However, there was no choice but to use the R46 from the Broadway line. 

2915 is the end R68 out of C.I Yard that's 4-car with 2916 starts for the Franklin Av Shuttle, not a big problem. But yes, the paper shows for organizing the type of trains in routes out of total. 

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, NBTA said:

Underlyingly, there was also an R160 on the (N) and a mixed 68/A set on the (B) roaming around.

Neither of those appearances surprise me, since because of what has been mentioned previously regarding car shortages. R68 and R68As are now being used in mixed consists, and come May, when the 63 St tunnel work starts, don’t be surprised if the frequency of R160s doing stints on the (N) increases, either due to R46 issues, and the fact that more R160s will be parked during rush hours because of planned service reductions to the (E)(F) to accommodate the (E)(F)(M) all via 53 St.

Speaking of mixed sets, Jamaica Yard stopped mixing R160 Alstom and Siemens cars together as 10-cars recently. There were problems with the bucking and consistency that happened. The Alstoms couple together, 8653-8842, 9103-9942 (minus 9108-9112) while the Siemens are seperate, 8843-9102. 

Edited by Calvin

Just now, Calvin said:

Speaking of mixed sets, Jamaica Yard stopped mixing R160 Alstom and Siemens cars together as 10-cars recently. There were problems with the bucking and consistency that happened. 

I thought there was a bulletin put up to yard workers that explicitly stated to not mix the Siemens and Alstom R160s