SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

^^^^^

Another possibility would maintain the (N) switch from local to express near Herald Square, that I loathe, but streamlines the service a little bit to make the merges easier.

(J) Jamaica Center - Broadway Junction - directional AM/PM express between Bwy Jct and Marcy - Nassau - Broad St.  So it will be a directional express to Manhattan from 6 am - 12 noon, away from Manhattan 1 pm - 8 pm, and local in the reverse direction. 

(Z) Broadway Junction - Broadway Brooklyn local - Nassau - Montague Tunnel - 4th Ave local - Bay Ridge  

(M) No changes 

(Q) No changes 

(N) Astoria - 60th - Broadway local/express* - Manhattan Bridge - 4th Ave express - Sea Beach 

(R) 71/Continental - QBL local -- 60th - Broadway local - Montague tunnel - 4th Ave local - West End line to 9th Ave 

(W) Eliminated

* Query whether it would be better to have the merge between local and express occurring at 34th or just south of Prince.  The movement is always disruptive, but if the movement occurred at Prince, it would provide more service to the local stations on the Broadway BMT.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, mrsman said:

This idea deserves a comment.  I think there is some merit to exploring <R> service, but it does seem like Canal may not be the best place for a terminal.

What about rearranging Broadway-Brooklyn service to accommodate Bay Ridge?  Make the <R> service as part of the (Z) :  Rush hour and mid-day service:

(J) Jamaica Center - Broadway Junction - directional AM/PM express between Bwy Jct and Marcy - Nassau - Broad St.  So it will be a directional express to Manhattan from 6 am - 12 noon, away from Manhattan 1 pm - 8 pm, and local in the reverse direction.

(Z) Broadway Junction - Broadway Brooklyn local - Nassau - Montague Tunnel - 4th Ave local - Bay Ridge 

(M) No changes

(Q) No changes

(N) 96th/2nd - Broadway express - Manhattan Bridge - 4th Ave express - Sea Beach

(W) 71/Continental - QBL local -- 60th - Broadway local - Whitehall

(R) Astoria  - 60th - Broadway local - Montague tunnel - 4th Ave local - West End line to 9th Ave - (CI Yard Access). 

What I propose for moving the <R> to Nassau is essentially with the <R> terminating at Canal (northbound from 95th) and the (J)/(Z) terminating southbound at Chambers (from Jamaica Center) is essentially a split of the old (RJ67) in a modern form from 95th to Jamaica Center.  Using Canal as a terminal for this <R> is about (on weekdays) shortening the route so it's not the "rarely" in South Brooklyn (nights and weekends, this <R> as noted would run to Metropolitan to absorb the (M) shuttles). 

I did look at the idea of extending the (J) (or doing it as you would do it with the (J) and the  (Z)) but that to me doesn't work.  In the past, I did have the idea of making the (Z) its own line with a split (J) and  (Z) but O think moving the (R) off Broadway to Nassau is a better way to fix the problems with the (R).  

Apparently Coney Island Bound (F) trains will be running express Mon to Fri July 10-Aug 4th from Parsons Blvd to Forest Hills-71st Ave due to electrical improvements 

Also the Manhattan Bound Platform at Sutphin Blvd (F) station will be closed during this time as well. During this same time frame, World Trade Center Bound (E) trains stop at 75th Av.

On 6/23/2023 at 1:04 PM, darkstar8983 said:

At that point it should just be the (7) local only

Let’s see if problems with this service pattern occurs tomorrow, I feel like this will be another Queensboro plaza situation, where the local and express trains stop at the same platform, they should entirely remove the <7> express for this project, especially since the (7) local will skip 82 street until October, riders at Junction blvd will just have 2 stops to go to 74 Street for the (E)(F)

on a side note, I see why the MTA will want to offer express service, to avoid overcrowding at junction Blvd

Edited by Chris89292

8 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Ik cars are usually referred to as "she", so do we also refer to NYC subway cars as "she"? Does it depend upon the model?

I’m not sure if you would refer to them as “she” or “her” since they aren’t really personalized

On 6/23/2023 at 5:40 PM, mrsman said:

^^^^^

Another possibility would maintain the (N) switch from local to express near Herald Square, that I loathe, but streamlines the service a little bit to make the merges easier.

(J) Jamaica Center - Broadway Junction - directional AM/PM express between Bwy Jct and Marcy - Nassau - Broad St.  So it will be a directional express to Manhattan from 6 am - 12 noon, away from Manhattan 1 pm - 8 pm, and local in the reverse direction. 

(M) No changes 

(Q) No changes 

(N) Astoria - 60th - Broadway local/express* - Manhattan Bridge - 4th Ave express - Sea Beach 

(R) 71/Continental - QBL local -- 60th - Broadway local - Montague tunnel - 4th Ave local - West End line to 9th Ave 

(W) Eliminated

* Query whether it would be better to have the merge between local and express occurring at 34th or just south of Prince.  The movement is always disruptive, but if the movement occurred at Prince, it would provide more service to the local stations on the Broadway BMT.

I'd retain the (W) as the second 4th Ave local and turn the (R) at Whitehall. Then there would be no need for the (N) to use Prince St, which was just as bad as 34th St, when the (N) switched at Prince during the bad old days of 2010-16. Maybe look at some way to reconfigure the switches north of 57th, so (N) trains can switch for the 60th St at a faster speed with minimal delay.

And hey presto, there's your split (R) service! The (R) in Queens and Manhattan and the (Z) in Brooklyn.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

9 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I'd retain the (W) as the second 4th Ave local and turn the (R) at Whitehall. Then there would be no need for the (N) to use Prince St, which was just as bad as 34th St, when the (N) switched at Prince during the bad old days of 2010-16. Maybe look at some way to reconfigure the switches north of 57th, so (N) trains can switch for the 60th St at a faster speed with minimal delay.

And hey presto, there's your split (R) service! The (R) in Queens and Manhattan and the (Z) in Brooklyn.

In other words, 

(N) 96th - Broadway express - 4th Ave express - Sea Beach

(W) Astoria - 60th - Broadway local - Montague Tunnel - 4th Ave local - 9th Ave stop on West End line (and access to CI Yard as needed)

(R) 71/Continental - QBL local -- 60th - Broadway local - Whitehall

(Z) Broadway Junction - Broadway Brooklyn local - Nassau - Montague Tunnel - 4th Ave local - Bay Ridge 

This seems very good way of providing the split (R) service while keeping the Broadway BMT moving.

16 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

I’m not sure if you would refer to them as “she” or “her” since they aren’t really personalized

Each car had a number. Also, people refer to boats and airplanes are female sometimes.

This would lead me to think subway cars should generally be referred to as "she" if most other types of vehicles are "she".

The (7)<7> exterior of the R188 has "Skips 111 and 82 St" as well for the Flushing renovation project. It might be kept longer, because me thinking once the Manhattan side is done, they'll start work on the Flushing side too. 

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

The (7)<7> exterior of the R188 has "Skips 111 and 82 St" as well for the Flushing renovation project. It might be kept longer, because me thinking once the Manhattan side is done, they'll start work on the Flushing side too. 

It also displays “Exp 74 St- Main st” for the <7> express 

The R62A 5 car single set: 1954, 1957-1960 have been separated for the summer season. 4 cars are used at Corona Yard while the other single unit are for the mainline as extra air conditioning for refuse service. 

Edited by Calvin

Can T/O or C/O please explain something:

I was on a (R) train that had a sick passenger, and off of the crew had to come out and manually lock out each door in that car. Can’t this crew member shut off the door breaker to that car so the doors won’t open but still Trainline?

21 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

It also displays “Exp 74 St- Main st” for the <7> express 

Silly at best. Would have just left the (7) local the whole way. I’m sure trains have to take the 74 St switch at a slow speed which really slows everything down, then the massive crowds of people that don’t pay attention due to going deaf on their AirPods, Beats, headphones while playing candy crush or texting their not so secret lovers all getting confused regardless at 74 St, asking “is this train express? Or local? Will it stop at 82/90/103/111?? And let us not forget the people still at Queensboro Plaza asking “is this train really express”? These questions and asking random passengers or the conductor delay the (7) and causes lots of trains to stack behind it.

IDK how ppl commute S/B on the Manhattan Bridge routes into Brooklyn regularly, it's so slow. After all these years it's crazy the TA hasn't come up with a more modern way for trains to ID themselves at the tower.

Riding from Canal/Grand to Atlantic Ave is a miserable experience, rode an (N) from Canal to Atlantic today and it felt like it took an half hour just to travel between those two stops. 

When I lived in Flatbush I always hated the S/B run on the (Q) from the city into Brooklyn cause of DeKalb Junction. N/B feels much quicker.

Starting this weekend, and every weekend going forward, average wait times for (G)(J)(M) trains will be reduced by up to 4 minutes, with (G) trains arriving every 8 minutes, and (J)(M) trains arriving every 8-10 minutes (instead of every 10-12 minutes as before). That means less time traveling and more time soaking up the sun at your destination! ☀️

https://new.mta.info/article/subway-and-rail-service-changes-june-30-july-3

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

When I lived in Flatbush I always hated the S/B run on the (Q) from the city into Brooklyn cause of DeKalb Junction. N/B feels much quicker.

During the PM rush hour, I had some moments when the (Q) and  (B) meet with each other roaming through the Bridge. At that time I was on the (Q), whenever it stopped directly at that crossing point, the (Q) would go first and the (B) would arrive next to Dekalb Av. It does help if passengers want a extra saving time in commute going express on the Brighton line if their stop is either Church Av and Kings Highway. That's where most passengers get off at said stations. 

If your mentality is that the glass is half empty, then you could say the pause on the bridge effectively added 3 local stops worth of commute time to the (B). It didn’t help (Q) people much going to Church Avenue (since the (B) is rarely fast enough to catch up that early) and the (B) to Kings Highway is just up a minute or two ahead of the (Q). On the rare occasion that the (B) pulled into Church Avenue with the (Q), it’s usually because of a really crappy train operator and/or conductor on the (Q).

MTA long term plans for the future.

https://new.mta.info/20YN

Plans mentioned here:

-Second Avenue Subway extension on 125th Street to connect with the (1) train. 
-(W) train to Red Hook. 
-Utica Avenue subway line 

-(3) train extension to Spring Creek. 
Any chance of these projects becoming reality? 

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

If your mentality is that the glass is half empty, then you could say the pause on the bridge effectively added 3 local stops worth of commute time to the (B). It didn’t help (Q) people much going to Church Avenue (since the (B) is rarely fast enough to catch up that early) and the (B) to Kings Highway is just up a minute or two ahead of the (Q). On the rare occasion that the (B) pulled into Church Avenue with the (Q), it’s usually because of a really crappy train operator and/or conductor on the (Q).

Regularly commuting from Downtown Brooklyn, I can confirm that if the (B) comes in directly behind a (Q) on the PM rush, most of the time, both come in at the same time at Newkirk, and the rest of the time the (B) narrowly misses the Newkirk connection. I have yet to see a Church Avenue connection, the (Q) would have to be unbearably slow for that. I view this as it buys me 3 extra minutes in case I missed my (Q), living near a local stop. Also, the likelihood of an earlier connection is greater when the (Q) is an R68/A rather than an R46… not sure why.