SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 7/13/2023 at 9:34 AM, Chris89292 said:

R142A Conversion set #7404-7405 just got new LED interior lighting 

source coming from tech and transit YouTube video: 

I feel like the Corona yard just removed the lights from the C car R188 sets and placed them on the R142A conversion sets

Nah. And the C cars are STILL brighter than the rest of the set. 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

I hadn't realized that the Terminal 2 AirTrain station was completely removed during the recent renovations. Instead of the original 6 terminal stations, there will only be 5, since Terminal 1 is taking over the former Terminal 2. One more rapid transit station that will exist only in history books from now on.

Did they demolish the other one?

The turnstiles in the Subway system are slowly being moderated to avoid people from jumping or sneaking their way in. There's also work being done in the gates as well. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-turnstile-back-cocking-modification-mta-20230717-5fkk74kr3ffmdh55nmazl5hiou-story.html?fbclid=IwAR1tFNDVlHD-O6hVAqFH9Z3KQ9cmO_tusGrLfL-94GSZwMdxTXdcpj61oD4

Also, there was a 5-car (F) train yesterday that was in-service two days ago due to lack of service south of Culver between Stillwell Av and Church Av. After reaching to Church Av, that train went out of service but another (F) was behind at that time. 

Edited by Calvin

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

The turnstiles in the Subway system are slowly being moderated to avoid people from jumping or sneaking their way in. There's also work being done in the gates as well. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-turnstile-back-cocking-modification-mta-20230717-5fkk74kr3ffmdh55nmazl5hiou-story.html?fbclid=IwAR1tFNDVlHD-O6hVAqFH9Z3KQ9cmO_tusGrLfL-94GSZwMdxTXdcpj61oD4

Pretty soon, if you couldn’t dance on a moving subway car, you wouldn’t be fit enough to hop the turnstiles.

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-turnstile-back-cocking-modification-mta-20230717-5fkk74kr3ffmdh55nmazl5hiou-story.html?fbclid=IwAR1tFNDVlHD-O6hVAqFH9Z3KQ9cmO_tusGrLfL- 

The designs they showed on the board metting yesterday was awesome, especially how they’re fixing the famous turnstile trick, (I don’t know what it’s called), but I still think people will find a way to fare evade with all those designs

Edited by Chris89292

Heads-up that starting July 31st (5 AM) up to August 14th (5 Am as well), all (N)(W) and (7)<7> trains will be bypassing Queensboro Plaza as they are starting construction on an accessibility project to make the entire station fully accessible. Only the upper level of the station of Astoria bound for Astoria-Ditmars and Flushing- Main St are opened at that time. 

36 minutes ago, djtoro7 said:

Who here happens to randomly or habitually simulate train or bus sounds, whether it's whistling the R68 howling motors or humming the Alstom OptOnix IGBT-VVVF of the R211s?

I did this as an young child, I stopped once by the time I made it into my teenage years. Even as a kid I ONLY did it in the privacy of my home. On the R42 final run, I saw an teenage railfan mimicking the GE propulsion sound, WTF :lol: A little too old to be mimicking propulsion sounds in public kid..

June MDBF stats are out.

Almost the entire B-Division took a substantial drop in fleet reliability, the R160s shot up in reliability while the R179s got dethroned(largely due to dead motors and other maintenance related issues). R68As went up in reliability, everything else went down.

The A-Division saw some increases with the exception of the R62s. The story that stands out is that the R188 Conversion cars got a MASSIVE increase in reliability for the month of june....going from 346k in May to 1.4 million miles in June. That in itself is incredible.

20 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The story that stands out is that the R188 Conversion cars got a MASSIVE increase in reliability for the month of june....going from 346k in May to 1.4 million miles in June. That in itself is incredible.

That one ain't a surprise, given how Corona has consistently maintained its 188 conversion sets to be better than when Pelham initially had them without the CBTC provision.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

June MDBF stats are out.

Almost the entire B-Division took a substantial drop in fleet reliability, the R160s shot up in reliability while the R179s got dethroned(largely due to dead motors and other maintenance related issues). R68As went up in reliability, everything else went down.

The A-Division saw some increases with the exception of the R62s. The story that stands out is that the R188 Conversion cars got a MASSIVE increase in reliability for the month of june....going from 346k in May to 1.4 million miles in June. That in itself is incredible.

Corona is the best barn in the whole entire system. They will turn a turd into something great. Before retirement, their R33/36WF fleet had the best MDBF in the entire system. The CBTC issues and everything aside. They always make sure their equipment is in good running shape.

1 minute ago, R32 3838 said:

Corona is the best barn in the whole entire system. They will turn a turd into something great. Before retirement, their R33/36WF fleet had the best MDBF in the entire system. The CBTC issues and everything aside. They always make sure their equipment is in good running shape.

I wonder why the Corona yard isn’t a big yard like 207th street so they can maintain every IRT fleet, maybe the R142A could do a quick trip there for a whole car wash, would be great to see various subway fleets to run on the flushing line 

Just now, Chris89292 said:

I wonder why the Corona yard isn’t a big yard like 207th street so they can maintain every IRT fleet, maybe the R142A could do a quick trip there for a whole car wash, would be great to see various subway fleets to run on the flushing line 

Why would you assign that job to Corona..?

1: the isolation… you know, not connected to the rest of the IRT and only one set of switches to the Astoria line

2: CBTC limits when those moves could happen

3: squeezed into the north end of Flushing Meadows Park gives them only so much ground to work with. They would have to demolish and eliminate Stengel depot to build anything else.

1 hour ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

That one ain't a surprise, given how Corona has consistently maintained its 188 conversion sets to be better than when Pelham initially had them without the CBTC provision.

It's surprising when you consider the 188 fleet as a whole went on a downward trend since the beginning of the year and late last year.

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

Bruh....

Your fleet planning ideology might need an oil change there..... 

15 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

Bruh....

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

“Quick trip”

R142 (4) to Corona

-Terminate at Utica

-Continue to Rockaway Ave on the (3) 

-Livonia - Broadway Junction via (L) 

-Broadway Junction - Broad St via (J) 

-Montague Tunnel - Queensboro Plaza via (R) / (W) 

-Queensboro Plaza - Corona Yard via (7) 

Edited by JustTheSIR

22 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

“Quick trip”

R142 (4) to Corona

-Terminate at Utica

Quick trip doesn’t literally mean quick at all, it’s sarcasm, I meant the (4) could go for a visit to Queens for a car wash

52 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

Bruh....

I don't think an oil change will cut it.

13 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Quick trip doesn’t literally mean quick at all, it’s sarcasm, I meant the (4) could go for a visit to Queens for a car wash

The relatively infrequent moves on/off the Flushing Line are already subjected to a logistical nightmare. Unless you have some sort of concrete proposal to address that, we should not be trying to lean more heavily into moves between the IRT mainline and Flushing.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

June MDBF stats are out.

Is this the first time we've reached the million mark?

5 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

“Quick trip”

R142 (4) to Corona

-Terminate at Utica

Uh, last I checked, the connection you're referring to that goes to the Linden Shop and connects to the (L) line is not powered by anything. Only work trains go through there so you're already wrong in how the process would go lol.

This is how the process actually goes or at least the quickest way from Woodlawn:

• Layup around Kingsbridge Road if not in Concourse yard already (Concouse stores R142/A's sometimes)
  • Run all the way along the (D) to Atlantic Av
  • Turn back to run via the (N) all the way to Queensboro Plaza then along the (7) the rest of the way

Both 207 St and Jerome/Concourse Yard are the "easiest and most direct" yards to/from Corona because they already have access to B division tracks (not really in Jerome's case). Trains coming from WPR would have to relay at 96 St then head back north to 207 St then go back down again. Or maybe on the middle track at 138 St-GC to head back up towards Concourse then to go down again. Pelham trains would have to head all the way to 125 St then relay to run along Jerome Av to Concourse. These are unfortunately the quickest and only way unless they all head down towards South Ferry loop for some odd reason.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:50 PM, MeeP15-9112 said:

By chance, does anyone have the official PDFs of the subway map from between 1998 through 2000? I've tried the wayback machine and I've had no luck.

No, but I do have a 2004 subway map that’s in my Metrocard. I can post a picture, it’ll be blurry.

Edited by Ale188