SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 8/14/2023 at 6:45 PM, Calvin said:

The next station that'll be receiving elevators in the future will be Sheepshead Bay on the (B)(Q). There's a work area barricaded stated that it's getting a lift in amount of two.  

Mosholu Parkway (4) as well. Area had been barricaded and it resulted in movement of two bus stops.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Pitkin Yard has a Spotted Lantern Fly infestation… I’ve stomped on six so far in the last three hours and there are dozens lying around dead

Lol That's pretty much in alot of areas around the city. I've stomped on at least 15 or so myself this past summer alone. One even decided to hop on the train ON me on Monday lol.

Edited by jon2305

A further look into the Needs Assessment they released a couple of years ago or so. Here is the link for the more further expanded stuff on expansion with a whole chart and stuff. There are some things I want to talk about real quick:

• The extension for the New Lots Branch to Flatlands Av for the (3) line is estimated to have a construction going for $1.7 Billion. That is quite the high price for a such a short extension especially from an elevated line, but I'm guessing they would need to acquire a lot or properties before ever attempting such. Still sounds like total BS to me, but maybe I just don't know.
  • The RBB is now estimated to be about $6 Billion which is, what, $2B cheaper than the last time they had construction costs estimated? I want to say things like "progress" or "small steps, but heading in the right direction," but I don't think that's enough. Either way, still sounds like BS, but whatever.
  • A whopping $13 Billion for Phase 3 of the SAS construction cost, really going out of their way for all this. Guess we'll see how well that turns out if it ever even comes to fruition in our lifetime or ever.
  • Now I'm really pissed off with the pricing of this, but at the same time I don't think I should. A crosstown extension along 125 St for SAS is going for $7.5 Billion, though I understand what they would be constructing through such as the fault line and existing stations like along CPW and Lenox Av. I'm disappointed they didn't include a connection to the CPW which would be really great for a few reasons, but I assume the connection would increase the cost by a billion extra. 
  • This next one just doesn't make any sense, almost $2 Billion to add in the 10th Av station for the (7). Don't know what else to say really other than sure, whatever, I give up trying to understand, I concede.
  • The Nostrand Junction capacity improvements (I wonder what they really mean by this) is stated to cost $410 Million. Don't really have anything else to say, was expecting more ngl, can't really tell if it's good or bad.
  • 3 different options for Utica Av
    • BRT $220M (yeah sure, good luck with that)
    • full subway service to Kings Plaza $15 Billion (yes, you read that right if you also find it complete bullshit)
    • Subway to Church with BRT to Kings Plaza $6 Billion (also just as bullshit)
  • This last one gave me a laugh cause it really just isn't worth the investment even with the price actually being reasonable. The (W) extension to Red Hook costs $11 Billion, but it's not worth either way cause of the area just not really attracting enough attention. Unless the area sees some kind of redevelopment or whatever or a huge rise, better off not bothering with the extension, especially if the (W) is involved. Last thing that's needed is to make the (R) more worse.

Yeah i was disappointed when the score for the rockaway beach branch was low :/ . Also I'm curious to know how they evaluated the utica ave subway options. Is it assumed to be completely underground or partly elevated? etc. Because if its fully underground then i can see where these bloated prices came from. But then again im not surprised that many of these estimates are kinda bs imo lol.

10 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Looks like those limited (W) trains in the AM Rush go to Coney Island instead of 86 St now.

so they can change to (N) trains in case an (N) train has to be removed from service last minute. Also this doesn't delay the (N) trains trying to go through while the (W) train empties out at 86 St 

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

so they can change to (N) trains in case an (N) train has to be removed from service last minute. Also this doesn't delay the (N) trains trying to go through while the (W) train empties out at 86 St 

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks. And yeah, more often than not, there were delays as those limited (W)s that originally dropped out at 86 St affected through Coney Island-bound (N)s, which already deal with delays just right outside the Coney Island terminal, waiting for one of the two (N)s to leave first anyways.

On 10/4/2023 at 2:04 PM, Kamen Rider said:

Pitkin Yard has a Spotted Lantern Fly infestation… I’ve stomped on six so far in the last three hours and there are dozens lying around dead

It all started in PA...of course it was gonna spread to the city, especially at this time. Lucky I stomped like 5 during my summer. 

On 10/4/2023 at 2:08 PM, jon2305 said:

Lol That's pretty much in alot of areas around the city. I've stomped on at least 15 or so myself this past summer alone. One even decided to hop on the train ON me on Monday lol.

1 hour ago, Ale188 said:

It all started in PA...of course it was gonna spread to the city, especially at this time. Lucky I stomped like 5 during my summer. 

I mean the yard is CRAWLING with the little bastards. There were at least 15-20 dead in the hallway in the yard tower alone.

I'm curious on what you guys think, it happens a lot where there's 30 minute gaps in SB N train service at the same exact time, is this the result of a  train operator being lazy or is it something else? I mean its probably a result of staff shortage? Although this isn't an extra train compared to the older N schedule from when they recently increased trains per hour so I'm not too sure.

I remember recently someone mentioned (idk if it was in this thread or another) about how some operators try to game the system and that's why you see no train for like 20-30 minutes then like 2-3 close together. Just wondering why this happens when the schedule is not set up this way, here is the proof I have:

https://imgur.com/a/7l6HWjo

https://imgur.com/a/x8jTQS1

According to the schedule, an N train should be departing from Astoria at 7:43, then 7:53, then 8:09, and a lot of the times i guess the 7:53 doesn't depart a lot of the times, which leaves to a 25-35 minute gap in N train service SB at some pretty important times throughout the line, what are your thoughts?

Edited by habbyy

14 hours ago, habbyy said:

I'm curious on what you guys think, it happens a lot where there's 30 minute gaps in SB N train service at the same exact time, is this the result of a  train operator being lazy or is it something else? I mean its probably a result of staff shortage? Although this isn't an extra train compared to the older N schedule from when they recently increased trains per hour so I'm not too sure.

I remember recently someone mentioned (idk if it was in this thread or another) about how some operators try to game the system and that's why you see no train for like 20-30 minutes then like 2-3 close together. Just wondering why this happens when the schedule is not set up this way, here is the proof I have:

According to the schedule, an N train should be departing from Astoria at 7:43, then 7:53, then 8:09, and a lot of the times i guess the 7:53 doesn't depart a lot of the times, which leaves to a 25-35 minute gap in N train service SB at some pretty important times throughout the line, what are your thoughts?

What do you mean by "game the system"? 

and whats been going on with the (M) train? doesn't seem like its performing too well, considering it barely has merges now, and headways are often upwards of 20 minutes. On Wednesday, I missed the 7:00PM train and had to wait until 7:30PM at Rockefeller Center, and there were no alerts of service disruptions.

One thing I'm realizing when it comes to the Needs Assessment is there are zero mentions of anything to do with LaGuardia. Though I shouldn't be surprised that it wouldn't be considered, but the fact they completely skipped over an extension or better transportation to LaGuardia is pretty surprising to say the least.

5 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

One thing I'm realizing when it comes to the Needs Assessment is there are zero mentions of anything to do with LaGuardia. Though I shouldn't be surprised that it wouldn't be considered, but the fact they completely skipped over an extension or better transportation to LaGuardia is pretty surprising to say the least.

Yeah, given it's been over 20 years since a subway extension was even considered, I'm disappointed that they didn't look at an extension of the (N)(W) via 19th Avenue or at the very least a busway... 

19 hours ago, habbyy said:

Okay, first of, get one thing straight, train crews are NOT lazy...

Moving this discussion over from the R211 thread.

16 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Reside in Philly has nothing to do with it. I grew up in NYC for 28 years, that’s number 1. And 2 I travel in & out. So I’ve ridden every single line that there is out there. And I see how everything AND everyone is. I don’t travel often because there is nothing new going on anywhere other than DC. So my focus is to build up on models. Because all these vehicles out there are “disposable”. They don’t make them like they used to. 

When is the last time you lived in NYC?

Regardless of how long you lived here, the point is that you don't live here now. Things change over time.

Are you familiar with gentrification? That is what has happened/ is happening to many neighborhoods throughout this city, including the ones that the G train runs through.

That line may not have warranted longer trains before, but it likely does warrant longer trains now and certainly will warrant them in the future.

1 hour ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Regardless of how long you lived here, the point is that you don't live here now. Things change over time.

Are you familiar with gentrification? That is what has happened/ is happening to many neighborhoods throughout this city, including the ones that the G train runs through.

That line may not have warranted longer trains before, but it likely does warrant longer trains now and certainly will warrant them in the future.

They don't understand that these lines increased in ridership overtime. Covid hit and created a big mess that we still in (crew availability) but ridership has grown back to what it is pre pandemic. People who don't even live here no more kept swearing up and down that ridership would never get back to pre covid levels and that everyone will be still doing remote work. 

Then you have the (MTA) pushing for congestion pricing when they aren't even ready due to lack of equipment and crew availability. 

2024-2025 is going to be brutal.

4 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

The last time was 1/1/2001. But I have been in & out before AND after 9/11 to know what’s been going on. Long Island City in Queens, Greenpoint in Brooklyn and elsewhere has seen building go up, and even in the Bronx, thanks to then mayors Giuliani and Bloomberg that they’re gentrifying hood to hood. The same can be said for the entire northeast corridor. The view isn’t gonna look the same after that. But since 6/27/2010, they cut service and some bus and subway routes have returned while others haven’t. Yes they DID extended the (G) from Smith-9th to Church Ave and it has picked up riders since that extension. But let’s wait until the CBTC is up and running on the (F) & (G) before any kind of increase of service can occur.