SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Guest Lance

@Brooklyn IRT:

1) Apparently that "Manhattan-bound" glitch isn't as exclusive to the 6's 142As as I thought.

2) When they replaced Jessica's transfer announcement with Charlie's to reflect the fact that the Staten Island Ferry is a free transfer, not a paid one, I guess someone decided to use Dianne's 2-line transfer instead of cutting Jessica's old one.

3) That's Catherine doing that "Flatbush Av-Brooklyn College" announcement. Some sets have it, others don't (similar to the Morrison Av-Soundview vs. Morrison-Soundview Avs announcements on the 6 line). Apparently someone felt that the old recording and the maps were inconsistent with each other and it had to be fixed. That's all I can think of regarding the change. And yes, it is a stupid reason.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They must extend the (4) to New Lots full-time while truncating the (3) to Utica so they can run fewer TPH on that line and more TPH on the (2), which needs them damn it! What time did you take that shot? It seems like something is always going on with the (2) in the Bronx..

Yesterday evening:

004.jpg

I was getting off the train when I took this, so it didn't affected me, but, wow.

Iv'e noticed countdown clocks being seriously messed upon numerous occasions. Like when I was going to Bronycon, it said another (L) wasn't coming for 20 minutes. I asked the PIA if I could get a transfer to the M14, and he said that the countdown clocks were wrong. Although that's nothing close to this: (Not my photo)

Ltrain.jpg

I hope that time listed on that clock at Beverley/Nostrand was an error, but one Sunday afternoon in January at around 5pm I was at 96 St waiting for a deuce to Junction, the clock said the next one was due up in 19 minutes, and sure enough I waited that long for the damn train. I think one (3) came before it. It was a day when the deuce was local south of TSQ and the (1)(3) were terminating at Penn. Or it might have been the (1) ending at Penn and (3) ending at 14. Either way the deuce was the only 7th Ave service running south of 14.

I said the (3) should terminate at Utica, not Flatbush. If they truncated the (3) to Utica they could run fewer TPH on that line than they do now while running more TPH on the (2) than they do now. Its biggest problem is the Bronx I think. It makes most of its stops and spends most of its time in the Bronx, runs local there, and is the only service connecting all of those neighborhoods to upper Harlem and the West Side. I suspect that all of this as well as the fact that its headway is not the best (it should be more like the (4)) causes it to screw up so much.

As for why it gets delayed so much before it even gets to Manhattan (southbound) I could only guess that it happens because of flagging on the WPR line during off-hours but I would think they would be finished with this by now. If that is not it then the only other possibility is that just one too many people hold the doors at one too many stops during off-hours.

In a sense the (3) should be to the (2) what the (C) is to the (A). The (2) continues for like another 40 minutes north of 135 while the (3) just has a few minutes left in its trip and at the other end the (3) should not even be running to New Lots because the convention is that the express train ( (4) in this case) serves the areas that are further from the CBDs while the locals end closer to or within the CBDs. I do not know which of the two 7th Ave services carries more people east of Franklin most of the time, but if the southern terminals were Utica and Flatbush rather than New Lots and Flatbush there obviously would be a reason to run more 7th Ave-Nostrand trains than 7th Ave-Utica trains since there would be much, much more ridership on the former than on the latter east of Franklin.

It should not be that difficult to take measures that would make the (2) a much better line than it is now. All that are needed are a few switches between Utica and Sutter to make the Utica/New Lots terminal swap possible.

They could always leave the terminals they way they are and just put CBTC on that line, I'm pretty sure the ML IRT will have it someday, the slow crawl into flatbush would be a thing of the past and they could run more trains without swapping the (3) and (4) southern terminals.

Threxx- Actually battery runs even on the (2) are rare regardless of how late the train is because the trains on that line get a crapload of recovery time at FB when the (5) is not going there. On the weekends a train is typically scheduled to leave FB almost 20 minutes (sometimes a couple more) after it is due there.

trainfan- The (2) has more problems during off-hours than during rush hours I think. Off-hour line capacity is not really affected by FB terminal at all since there are fewer TPH needed in general (for now at least) during those times. If you had 10 TPH on the (2), 6 TPH on the (3), and 7.5 TPH on the (5) during midday hours, FB could handle it despite the speed restrictions and without CBTC. This is all assuming they change track geometry by Utica so the Utica/New Lots swap can take place.

I wonder how much it costs and how long it takes to take out a couple of sections of solid track, replace them with switches, and if necessary eliminate a support column or two to make room for a single crossover track connecting two parallel tracks.

I'm looking at some photos of R42s on the Sea Beach line, and there's a lot of (M) trains on the line, dating to 8/22/2006. What happened that day? I know the (M) ran via Sea Beach after 9/11, but what GO happened in 2006?

Probably a West End closure at rush hour?

Had another interesting ride home last night. I got on at 79th St around 8 PM, just missed the train and the next one one didn't show up for over 10 minutes, pretty odd for the 1. I missed a 2, and then another 2 a few minutes behind that one, with no 3 in-between. When I finally did get on the 2 at 72nd St around 8:20, there was another 2 right behind that one. I got off at Beverly around 8:59 PM, and then I saw a (5) to the Bronx on the other track. Which is really weird, because the (5) is supposed to have stopped running by then. I wonder if it had to do with all the bunching.

The train was signed up as a 5 to Dyre and the announcements and countdown clock matched. This was at 8:59 last night, and the last 5 to the Bronx is supposed to pass Beverly at 8:31, so that must have been one really late train. I saw something similar a few years ago.

I finally rode an R142 with the updated announcement for Atlantic Av, 6514 and its mates. It also had the name 'Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr' on the strip map. Ironically, the strip map still showed the diamond <5>.

Edited by Mysterious2train

Ill add this, dont ask the T/O southbound on the B/D at 59-CC, look at the signal to see who has the lineup. Often the train crew has no idea, either. Typically its the train scheduled to leave first, and that's something neither T/O would know unless they knew the schedule for both lines.

I was replying to this post, which my phone showed as being the newest post in this thread for some reason, so I didn't think it was necessary to quote it....

I finally rode an R142 with the updated announcement for Atlantic Av, 6514 and its mates. It also had the name 'Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr' on the strip map. Ironically, the strip map still showed the diamond <5>.

THANK YOU! I honestly was starting to think I dreamed that R142 update - I come into work on Friday a couple weeks ago, after having not worked the NTT in almost a week, and every set had those updates, and then I haven't ONCE had a set which had any of those updates since then, including today.

Edited by Snowblock