SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I've ridden the (J) taking the front window via the R42s after school all week going from Jamaica to Broad. I will also remember the day I first rode them on the (C). The R42s have became my favorite cars right after the R32s and R40s (slants).

Thats exactly the same order I have except I have the R40Ms tied with the R42s.

It will be sad to see the R32s and R42s go.

Edited by Union Tpke

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My school ends at 2:39 p.m. five days a week from Monday to Friday. Now that I know what time the R42 (J) trains are scheduled to come out, I will ride one of them everyday from now on when I head over to Norwood Avenue on the BMT Jamaica Line after school.

By the time I take an R160 to Jamaica Center, I see an R42 layed up at the eastern end of the station. This happen all my school week. Though there's also another R42 which is in service. I know I can be wrong, but I assume this is regularly scheduled.

A few months back, I wasn't use to knowing when will an R42 show up so I took an R160 to the junction to count how many were there. Yes I know there's 50/400 R42s left but 48 are in eight cars while 2 are coupled. However, I did gotten most R42 RFWs from Broad to Jamaica and now the reverse. So far on the (J), I caught 1-2 sets in service on midday. I heard all run at rush hour, but only 1 set runs on weekend. Half run on the (J) and the other half run on the (Z).

I see that Central Avenue on the (M) is closed for rehabilitation until August. What exactly is wrong with the station?

The stations along Myrtle El are in need of serious repair, which is conducted on station by station basis. For example Knickerbocker Ave was  closed last year late in summer and opened in February I believe. Central rehab should be completed around late August, probably a little later.

These are the rankings as far as passenger rank in 2012(you may or may not have seen this. Thought it'd be fun to post it).

1. 42nd Street (A)(C)(E)(N)(Q)(R)(S)(1)(2)(3)(7)

37. 125th Street (A)(B)(C)(D) 

55. 145th Street   (A)(B)(C)(D)

116. 175th Street-George Washington Bus Terminal (A)

150. 181st Street   (A)

174. 207th Street   (A)

194. Dyckman Street   (A)

296. 190th Street   (A)

Edited by lupojohn

Let me amend that: the Top 5 are:

1. 42nd Street-PA Bus Terminal & Times Square 62,069,437

2. Grand Central-42nd Street                               42,984,249

3. 34th Street-Herald Square                                37,154,138

4. 14th Street-Union Square                                 34,639,575

5. 34th Street-Penn Station                                  27,010,176

(Sorry for the clutter. I'm just really into this and I have a lot of time on my hands).

Edited by lupojohn

Let me amend that: the Top 5 are:

1. 42nd Street-PA Bus Terminal & Times Square 62,069,437

2. Grand Central-42nd Street                               42,984,249

3. 34th Street-Herald Square                                37,154,138

4. 14th Street-Union Square                                 34,639,575

5. 34th Street-Penn Station                                  27,010,176

(Sorry for the clutter. I'm just really into this and I have a lot of time on my hands).

Does the (MTA) combine 42nd Street-PA Bus Terminal & Times Square or are you combining them?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The 5 stations with the highest percentage of passenger increase from 2011-12 are:

1. Elder Avenue                               (6) +168.4%

2. St. Lawrence Avenue                   (6) +161.5%

3. Aqueduct-North Conduit Avenue (A) + 87.5%

4. Avenue H                                    (Q) +  57.8%

5. 21st Street-Van Alst                    (G) + 28.7%

So disappointed that the (A)(C) summer swap won't happen again. I was looking so forward to seeing the new views across the Jamaica Bay as well as fanning the entirety of the (A) route with the R32s. They are much more fun than the R46s. Oh well....

Now the most important lesson I've learn is this: I should have started railfanning from the start and not later (if it weren't for my parents)....

Edited by RollOverMyHead