SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lance

Lefferts Blvd, Gun Hill Rd (Dyre) and Kingsbridge Rd (Concourse) are the first ones to come to mind. I'll post the full list when I get back to my computer.

I had a dream last night/this morning that I was standing on the upper level of Queensboro Plaza waiting for the (7). I see the train coming from behind the building and it's a R188. Then a R188 (7) pulls in on the (N) side as well so I got to see it use the crossover north of the station. 

The station was also full of Christmas trees, but I'm not sure why. I actually was trying to prevent a tree from falling on the tracks and I fell instead. And the train was coming. Except for some reason, there was a ton of space between the end of the platform and the tracks so the train wasn't close to hitting me.

Strange dream. 

Guest Lance

I know that Forest Hills, Utica Av and Hunts Point Av are getting elevators. Are there any other stations that are getting ADA access?

Lefferts Blvd, Gun Hill Rd (Dyre) and Kingsbridge Rd (Concourse) are the first ones to come to mind. I'll post the full list when I get back to my computer.

Full list of new ADA stations:

• Forest Hills-71 Av (Queens Blvd)
  • Kingsbridge Rd (Concourse)
  • 68 St-Hunter College (Lexington Avenue)
  • Utica Av (Fulton Street)
  • Hunts Point Av (Pelham)
  • 23 St (Lexington Avenue)
  • 57 St-7 Av (Broadway)
  • Ozone Park-Lefferts Blvd (Fulton Street)
  • Dyckman St (Broadway-7th Avenue)

You're welcome.

Full list of new ADA stations:

• Forest Hills-71 Av (Queens Blvd)
  • Kingsbridge Rd (Concourse)
  • 68 St-Hunter College (Lexington Avenue)
  • Utica Av (Fulton Street)
  • Hunts Point Av (Pelham)
  • 23 St (Lexington Avenue)
  • 57 St-7 Av (Broadway)
  • Ozone Park-Lefferts Blvd (Fulton Street)
  • Dyckman St (Broadway-7th Avenue)
You're welcome.
Thank you Lance

There's something that's been on my mind for the last week that probably has an easy answer:

Every day, I take either the 11:56AM or 12:06PM (C) train into Manhattan. Once the train passes Lafayette Ave, it's a dice roll to see if the (A) is going to pass in order to bully the (C) into waiting in between Lafayette and Hoyt-Schermerhorn. If I'm on a 12:06, I keep my fingers crossed that does not happen so I won't be late for work. But even sometimes, it stops it between stations and waits a good 30 seconds before the (A) even appears on the express tracks. 

So it's actually 2 questions:

1) Why are the signals giving the (A) so much time to catch up when the (C) can easily beat it out to Hoyt-Schermerhorn and go through without the (A) passengers even noticing?

2) If the conductor knows that it's going to get stopped, why doesn't it just sit at Lafayette while it waits? I'm sure it would make a few late straphangers happy and it wouldn't make any difference to any of the regular commuters who already know what they're dealing with. 

I don't think the MTA is planning to restore the (W) once the (Q) goes via 2 Avenue. It will most likely be just like the (A) with one service going to Lefferts, and one to the Rockaways. Note how the announcement says "via the 2 Avenue Line". 

Also, I remember back then someone saying something about the (Q) will have double the amount of trains when the 2 Ave line opens. For that  reason, it makes sense for a split (Q) to 2 Ave & (Q) to Astoria Service to happen. 

Another thing... all those subway map drawings with the (Q) going on 2 Avenue aren't official. Those are just renderings of what service would be. Overall, the split (Q) service seems to be the most logical answer.

There's something that's been on my mind for the last week that probably has an easy answer:

Every day, I take either the 11:56AM or 12:06PM (C) train into Manhattan. Once the train passes Lafayette Ave, it's a dice roll to see if the (A) is going to pass in order to bully the (C) into waiting in between Lafayette and Hoyt-Schermerhorn. If I'm on a 12:06, I keep my fingers crossed that does not happen so I won't be late for work. But even sometimes, it stops it between stations and waits a good 30 seconds before the (A) even appears on the express tracks. 

1) Why are the signals giving the (A) so much time to catch up when the (C) can easily beat it out to Hoyt-Schermerhorn and go through without the (A) passengers even noticing?

2) If the conductor knows that it's going to get stopped, why doesn't it just sit at Lafayette while it waits? I'm sure it would make a few late straphangers happy and it wouldn't make any difference to any of the regular commuters who already know what they're dealing with. 

1/2. We DON'T know leaving Lafayette. Hoyt St tower can't see anything except Hoyt St, so they don't know either. It's just a matter of which one appears on the tower board first when approaching the interlocking. One of these days the Fulton St line will get a master tower and then problems like that will be rectified.

3. If you're that worried about getting to work late, stop blaming the crews and take an earlier interval, so that there's no question of you being late regardless of who goes first.

(5) is running to Bowling Green overnight all weekend. (2), (4), and (6) should be less crowded especially on Friday and Saturday night.

Actually the trade off with the (5) running in Manhattan is the (6) running on a 12 minute supplement, but the (4) is running on normal headways.

Odd since there's no G.O.'s directly affecting the 6 line afaik...

I believe it's all based on schedule. I also believe that either the (C) is early or the (A) is late. As a frequent (A)(C) rider, I experienced this many times. I think its the latter. 

I don't think the MTA is planning to restore the (W) once the (Q) goes via 2 Avenue. It will most likely be just like the (A) with one service going to Lefferts, and one to the Rockaways. Note how the announcement says "via the 2 Avenue Line". 

Also, I remember back then someone saying something about the (Q) will have double the amount of trains when the 2 Ave line opens. For that  reason, it makes sense for a split (Q) to 2 Ave & (Q) to Astoria Service to happen. 

Another thing... all those subway map drawings with the (Q) going on 2 Avenue aren't official. Those are just renderings of what service would be. Overall, the split (Q) service seems to be the most logical answer.

Really? I perfer either the (W) to come back or add some more trains for the entire (N)(Q)(R) lines on midday while the (N) handles Astoria on its own. 

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I believe it's all based on schedule. I also believe that either the (C) is early or the (A) is late. As a frequent (A)(C) rider, I experienced this many times. I think its the latter.

There's your answer below...

1/2. We DON'T know leaving Lafayette. Hoyt St tower can't see anything except Hoyt St, so they don't know either. It's just a matter of which one appears on the tower board first when approaching the interlocking. One of these days the Fulton St line will get a master tower and then problems like that will be rectified.

3. If you're that worried about getting to work late, stop blaming the crews and take an earlier interval, so that there's no question of you being late regardless of who goes first.

Guest Lance

Actually the trade off with the (5) running in Manhattan is the (6) running on a 12 minute supplement, but the (4) is running on normal headways.

Odd since there's no G.O.'s directly affecting the 6 line afaik...

The official reason why 5 service is extended is due to work at 149 St-Grand Concourse. Late night riders on the duece won't have to backtrack from 135 St/Lenox Av to get to 149 St. However, with both the lower 7th Avenue and Broadway lines out of commission this weekend, the added service on Lexington Ave will be useful.

The official reason why 5 service is extended is due to work at 149 St-Grand Concourse. Late night riders on the duece won't have to backtrack from 135 St/Lenox Av to get to 149 St. However, with both the lower 7th Avenue and Broadway lines out of commission this weekend, the added service on Lexington Ave will be useful.

Why would they eliminate both lines this weekend... it's going to be hell on 6th and 8th Avenues for tomorrow...

Why would they eliminate both lines this weekend... it's going to be hell on 6th and 8th Avenues for tomorrow...

Luckily, it's only the Lower Manhattan portions of the Broadway and 7th Avenue lines.

As for why, I would think they would be prepping to do Sandy-related work.

Guest Lance

The press release for the week's service advisories states work at Cortlandt St as the reason for the 1-line shutdown and asbestos abatement in the Montague tubes for the closure of the aforementioned tunnels.

So a while back, someone started a topic about converting the subway to catenary wire for power. I brought up the possibility of wireless power strips in the middle of the track in the thread and just wanted to post some updates on the issue here since it didn't warrant making a new thread or reviving the other one.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-02/tkai-kdw021213.php

This is the latest development, with trials ongoing. As you can see, progress is being made constantly.

(About the 5 minute mark they focus on power transmission to moving vehicles)

This is from 2012, but is useful.

http://primove.bombardier.com/

They're making great progress, too.

With Bombardier, Qualcomm and universities world wide working on safe wireless, short-range, high-frequency power transmission and making tremendous progress daily, an actual usable solution for railroads (subway or high speed) will probably be ready within a handful of years.

Thoughts?

Edited by Culver

The press release for the week's service advisories states work at Cortlandt St as the reason for the 1-line shutdown and asbestos abatement in the Montague tubes for the closure of the aforementioned tunnels.

speaking of cortlandt street work on the (1) do you know what are they doing?

It is being built from ground up. According to latest article the station should be different from what was there before and is set to open next year.

Gonna be a very interesting station too. MTA is paying Port Authority to build and maintain it as part of their whole PATH station projext, so it won'r be your typical subway station ar all. Unfortunately the photo ban might be in effect there...

I'm sorry if it's been asked before but I just found this picture of an R142 at Broad Channel and there doesn't seem to be any gap. How is that possible? I thought IRT cars where narrower thus creating a gap when utilizing an BMT/IND line?

06.jpg

It is being built from ground up. According to latest article the station should be different from what was there before and is set to open next year.

do you have the article?

Gonna be a very interesting station too. MTA is paying Port Authority to build and maintain it as part of their whole PATH station projext, so it won'r be your typical subway station ar all. Unfortunately the photo ban might be in effect there...

what makes you say that even though its  :nyct: property?

I'm sorry if it's been asked before but I just found this picture of an R142 at Broad Channel and there doesn't seem to be any gap. How is that possible? I thought IRT cars where narrower thus creating a gap when utilizing an BMT/IND line?

06.jpeg

(Source: http://transferpoint.bravepages.com/museum/transit_pictures/06/06.jpg )

06.jpg

This pic? There is a definite gap. It's usually a 1' gap between the edge of an IRT car and the platform in an IND or BMT platform. (An IRT car is about 8'10 7/16" wide at it's side sills whereas with a given IND/BMT car, it is 10' 7/16".)

At the AM Rush, as I fanned the (C) N/B from Euclid to 168th, at Spring Street there was a guy who stook his middle finger at me and the operator. As my train was leaving the Spring Street station, the T/O quickly open his window and shouted "F***K YOU TOO!" and closed his window back as the first car entered the tunnel portal. I had LOL!  :lol: