SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

@Q90 It is an unusual route but and this is a big but if it gets contructed it should go to grand central only

The only problems I have with the architect's extension proposal is that given the current issues on the (L) (which includes shortage of trains and overcrowding) it could aggravate those factors.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What good would come from cutting the S? Aside from the summer weekends, they run 3 4-car trains. You can also forget about cutting the F and R services as those probably need all the trains they can run. The only thing I could see is maybe the A taking some of the extra spare R32s, but even that might be too much for the R32s handle.

If the R46s go to SIR, the R32s will be in place of the displaced R46s on the (A), that's IF the R46s go to SIR

If the R46s go to SIR, the R32s will be in place of the displaced R46s on the (A), that's IF the R46s go to SIR

Actually SIR will not get R46s. The R44s will stay until the R211s enter service. The R32s will be gone before the R211 enters service.

Actually SIR will not get R46s. The R44s will stay until the R211s enter service. The R32s will be gone before the R211 enters service.

LMAO he already knows that...hence him saying the world "if"...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

What I'm saying is if the R44s don't pass their inspection for SMS, they'll have to go with plan B (R46s to SIR) those R44s won't last until the R211s come in, they're done, sms'ing them again would be a waste, if the R46s Do wind up out there that will be 8 sets of R46s taken away, 64 cars, when all the R179s are in the (C) wouldn't need R32s anymore, 80-100 R32s can be in place of those displaced R46s, by defalt the R46s will come off the (A) the cars would be 6170-6258, those R46s were chosen because of most of them being A-A units

Man this is so annoying. They take the (W) off, and now the (N) from the Broadway Express, and they keep piling up in the (Q) train, I can barely find a seat on the way home. I believe that there needs to be some kind of rush hour help on the Broadway Express, because I see countless (N) and (R) trains running empty in both directions, and I see either the uptown or downtown (Q), depending on the time of day, full to the brim. 

The problem even extends out into Brooklyn. I remember the days where the train would just drain out at Church Av. But that's not the case anymore. Most people are getting off at Cortelyou Rd now, and the train is about halfway full from there. I think there needs to be some kind of peak service on the (Q), because the Broadway Express needs more trains during rush hour! 

One way I see to solve this problem would be to turn some (Q) trains at 57 St. The countless (Q) trains I see passing 14 St that are going to Astoria is very frustrating, as the platform gets even more and more full. Maybe even bring back the <Q>to 57 St, but have it run Local in Brooklyn. I hope that the CBTC gets installed on the (Q) soon, there are literally thousands of trains on the (L) one behind another, and the service flows so smoothly. But bottom line, the (Q) needs to make some more short turns, or get more service during rush hour.

Man this is so annoying. They take the (W) off, and now the (N) from the Broadway Express, and they keep piling up in the (Q) train, I can barely find a seat on the way home. I believe that there needs to be some kind of rush hour help on the Broadway Express, because I see countless (N) and (R) trains running empty in both directions, and I see either the uptown or downtown (Q), depending on the time of day, full to the brim. 

The problem even extends out into Brooklyn. I remember the days where the train would just drain out at Church Av. But that's not the case anymore. Most people are getting off at Cortelyou Rd now, and the train is about halfway full from there. I think there needs to be some kind of peak service on the (Q), because the Broadway Express needs more trains during rush hour! 

One way I see to solve this problem would be to turn some (Q) trains at 57 St. The countless (Q) trains I see passing 14 St that are going to Astoria is very frustrating, as the platform gets even more and more full. Maybe even bring back the <Q>to 57 St, but have it run Local in Brooklyn. I hope that the CBTC gets installed on the (Q) soon, there are literally thousands of trains on the (L) one behind another, and the service flows so smoothly. But bottom line, the (Q) needs to make some more short turns, or get more service during rush hour.

There would be less delays on the Broadway Line during rush hours if the (Q) goes back to and from 57th Street-7th Avenue (later extends to the Second Avenue Subway). The (N) can still the way it is but increased off-peak service on all three Broadway routes from a train every ten minutes to a train every six minutes (just like at rush hour) so that way Astoria and Broadway get enough service they need.

Heck who knows, maybe Sea Beach, Brighton and Fourth Avenue ridership will go up during the off-peak. The 60th Street tube would be better off with just only 2 lines (one for Astoria and the other for Queens Boulevard) anyway. And the only tracks the (R) shares with would just be the (M) on Queens Boulevard and (N) on Broadway then its all by itself on 4th Avenue.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

There would be less delays on the Broadway Line during rush hours if the (Q) goes back to and from 57th Street-7th Avenue (later extends to the Second Avenue Subway). The (N) can still the way it is but increased off-peak service on all three Broadway routes from a train every ten minutes to a train every six minutes (just like at rush hour) so that way Astoria and Broadway get enough service they need.

Heck who knows, maybe Sea Beach, Brighton and Fourth Avenue ridership will go up during the off-peak. The 60th Street tube would be better off with just only 2 lines (one for Astoria and the other for Queens Boulevard) anyway. And the only tracks the (R) shares with would just be the (M) on Queens Boulevard and (N) on Broadway.

I honestly don't know much about how the (4)(5)(6) are running up at 125 St, I only went there once, and how it will affect the (Q)(T) service, crowded trains, or not. The (2)(3) literally empty off at 96 St, the (1) does at about 137 St, but right now the (MTA) needs to look at the problem here. They don't have enough trains to be sending the (Q) all the way up to Astoria during rush hour. Either borrow some trains from the yard during rush hour, or send the (N) Express. But the Broadway Express and Brighton Local are struggling, and the (Q) just can't do it alone anymore.

Edited by Brighton Express

Westchester should be using those 2 R62As that they have for those GO even if its from 149st to Pelham bay , they should stop being picky here they need to use as many cars as they can. 

There are PLENTY of R142A's for their use during weekends, especially on Sundays. Once more R62A's come to their territory, then the R62A's should be popping up on a regular basis, but those R62A's have seen weekend service before though. Westchester doesn't need all of their trains running on weekends.

A < (Q) > running local in Brooklyn is the same thing as additional (Q) s to 57th st lol.

As for CBTC, that actually doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

What trackwork is going on between Queens Plaza and 71 Avenue on the Local? I didn't see any when on the (R) via Queens Blvd exp (got at R160).

Speaking of trackwork, they're really working on the tracks where the switch is after 42 St-PABT (for the 53 St Line). The roadbed is missing! Chunks of concrete were loaded onto the flat cars. Reminds me of what they were doing to Queens Blvd a few years back (2010). 

I know this is a weird question but what does G.O stand for; I know what it is but I don't know what it stands for.

By the way on friday I took videos of some of the bellmouths on the Queens blvd Line on an R46 (R) and took a video of the track stub for a Broadway Line up CPW before 57 St, I saw some of revs writings in the tunnels on the brodway line. I saw an R160 (R) train use equipment from Coney Island they were numbered 91XX i can't remember right now. i took a video of the stub tracks at Canal St and the tracks ggoing down for the City Hall Lower Level. I came of at City Hall and took some pictures down the stairway to the L.L and saw a lot of garbage on one of the tracks; I also took pictures of where the tracks curve away from the wall. A few minutes later I took a video of the same R46 (R) coming back into he station from Whitehall. I later took a video of Worth St. At 57 S/6 Av I took a picture of the old next train indicator when it was a terminal, nd the BMT 63 St Line and the bellmouth after 21 St Queensbridge.

Tell that Astoria residents.  They still want the QM22 back and I don't blame them.  They should bring it back.  What you didn't mention was that it only had a few trips so it wasn't breaking the bank.

Virtually no Astoria residents care about the QM22. (One of their elected officials has been repeatedly pandering to his constituents by "demanding" a restoration of the QM22 - and, for that matter, of the W train - but that just shows how out-of-touch he is.)

The annual operating cost of the QM22 was over $200,000. I'd rather see that money spent somewhere else, where it will benefit more than 62 people (closer to 31 people, since presumably most made round trips).

It had 4 trips, and 61 riders, for the last year it fully operated (2009). If the operating costs were $85 per hour back then (estimate) , then it would cost about $90.67 for the morning 6 Avenue trip, and $63.75 for the 3 Avenue run (AM and PM), the 6 Avenue PM trip would cost $85.

You would need 18.134 riders to break even that AM 6 Avenue Trip (for the PM one 17). You would also need 12.75 riders to break even the two 3 Avenue trips. You get 60.634 riders to break the costs even, but rounded up to the nearest you have 61, so it breaked even.

Again, your assumptions are completely wrong. Total daily operating cost was $850, and the average fare paid was $4.17, not $5.00. The QM22 did not come close to breaking even - it covered 31% of its direct operating costs, or 17% of its total costs, from the farebox.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdHd4QkhLRF92cURWNWdSbzNfSjJwWWc&hl=en#gid=1

Of course, since the flipdots are about 25 years old, they sometimes don't work as intended.

And for those occasions, there's always paper!

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?32359

Well i was just on the (1) train from New Lots

Could have been a reroute due to a problem at South Ferry. I once boarded a southbound 1 at Fulton - I don't know which branch it took in Brooklyn, since I got off at Atlantic.

Trust me I rode those R44s in SI 2 days ago and I honestly think they can't handle another SMS, they're bodies are shot and they rumble very hard

Somehow I don't think that this is how these decisions are made.

(They rumble because they're exposed to a lot of fallen leaves yet the nearest wheel truing machine is at Coney Island.)

Barely find a seat? During rush hours, the loading guideline for the Q train (R160's on a 6 minute headway) is 125 people per car. Outside of rush hours, the loading guideline is 53 people per car. There's no expectation that you'll get a seat when you ride the subway!

The L uses 24 trains, not "literally thousands," and they are significantly more crowded than the Q at the peak load point.

The (N) should be made express again (but at all times) and have  the (R) as the only local since there isn' t demand for two locals on Broadway.