SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how everybody is all "blame the mayor" without realizing the MTA is a STATE agency.

Yes, the mayor does appoint a few members to the MTA board, but in addition to Bloomie's appointees, you also have appointees from the Governor and the County Executive of every county where the MTA provides service in NY State.

The MTA is a public benefits corporation not a state agency that evolved from another public benefits corporation the NYCTA. The former  New York City Board of Transportation, now that's a city/state agency, also the original IND. The difference is that much of their revenue comes from fare collection revenue and only receives partial funding from state and federal government  State run agencies are divisions of the local or federal government different story.

I agree with you on this, it's the Albany policy makers that are instigating matters not necessarily City Hall aside from the isolated cases of MTA mismanagement from within the public benefits corporation, many factors plays a part in the current financial state of the MTA. But I posted that because to me it was just funny the way it was photoshopped as a political meme, I had no actual political intent behind that post. I debated over MTA politics enough in heated debates for pages and pages as it is, so I don't get into it too much nowadays as many professionals on the net do, say on Second Ave Sagas.

The MTA is a public benefits corporation not a state agency that evolved from another public benefits corporation the NYCTA. The former  New York City Board of Transportation, now that's a city/state agency, also the original IND. The difference is that much of their revenue comes from fare collection revenue and only receives partial funding from state and federal government  State run agencies are divisions of the local or federal government different story.

I agree with you on this, it's the Albany policy makers that are instigating matters not necessarily City Hall aside from the isolated cases of MTA mismanagement from within the public benefits corporation, many factors plays a part in the current financial state of the MTA. But I posted that because to me it was just funny the way it was photoshopped as a political meme, I had no actual political intent behind that post. I debated over MTA politics enough in heated debates for pages and pages as it is, so I don't get into it too much nowadays as many professionals on the net do, say on Second Ave Sagas.

MTA is a State public benefit corporation, not a City one. NYCTA was also, NYC Board of Transportation was city-run and NYCTA was established by the State to take it over.

From Albany to Mineola, there's plenty of other people and policies that are causing the MTA to be in the situation it's in. In fact, IINM Cuomo has the bulk of the appointees to the Board and confirms every one as does the State Senate.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

MTA is a State public benefit corporation, not a City one. NYCTA was also, NYC Board of Transportation was city-run and NYCTA was established by the State to take it over.

From Albany to Mineola, there's plenty of other people and policies that are causing the MTA to be in the situation it's in. In fact, IINM Cuomo has the bulk of the appointees to the Board and confirms every one as does the State Senate.

In reference to the first paragraph think that's what I just said. Othewise in agreement on all other points, that's exactly how budgets are approved  by the New York State Legislature. The problem is that within the budgets are either never passed on time or the funds supposed to be allocated to the MTA is cut, one time stolen, literally. That was what resulted in the infamous 2010 service cuts, but this is stuff you already know. 

Edited by realizm

When the R160 were brand new, up to 9232 was originally CI's. 9233-9242 was the first JY set which ran on the (E).

Then, something changed, and it went as far down as 9112 or 9117. Now it's what I previously explained.

the first original lowest numbered R160's at Jamaica were 9123-9132 then Coney Island needed more cars so then the lowest numbered cars became 9143-9152. After the 2010 cuts the lowest numbered R160 cars were/are 9193-9202

the first original lowest numbered R160's at Jamaica were 9123-9132 then Coney Island needed more cars so then the lowest numbered cars became 9143-9152. After the 2010 cuts the lowest numbered R160 cars were/are 9193-9202

Nope wrong, when Jamaica first got its R160B's the number started from 9163-9232,9803-9942, Jamaica got 9123-9162 in 2009 if I'm not mistaken along with 8713-22 for that flip seat polit

Edited by R32 3838

I love how everybody is all "blame the mayor" without realizing the MTA is a STATE agency.

Yes, the mayor does appoint a few members to the MTA board, but in addition to Bloomie's appointees, you also have appointees from the Governor and the County Executive of every county where the MTA provides service in NY State.

The appointed members are largely irrelevant. The only powerful people are the chairman of the board and the head of the MTA itself; the rest aren't exactly game changers. The important part is the funding, and that's affected by both the city and the state. Mainly the state, but as we saw with Giuliani hanging public transit out to dry, the city is perfectly capable of hurting the MTA by itself. 

The appointed members are largely irrelevant. The only powerful people are the chairman of the board and the head of the MTA itself; the rest aren't exactly game changers. The important part is the funding, and that's affected by both the city and the state. Mainly the state, but as we saw with Giuliani hanging public transit out to dry, the city is perfectly capable of hurting the MTA by itself. 

To add: There's a finance committee structure within the MTA that deals with approving capital budgets along with the capitol construction committee in the case of approving capitol construction plans, GO's, new purchases of rolling stock, structural improvements etc.

The finance committee and audit committee assembles to put plans on the table on how to deal with issues such as with fare collection profit margins (i.e fare hikes) 

The chairperson has to ink the deal.

Edited by realizm

Only MTA Bus Company is city subsidized by and operated under contract to the City of New York. Yes City residents are subsidizing the TA, but that's by way of the MTA and state taxes everyone in the MTA service area pays. Only funding the City can reduce/increase to the MTA is the subsidy to MTA Bus.

Point is, the mayor of NYC really can't do much about the MTA's ways of doing things. It's all in the hands of Albany and the guys at 347 Madison. Plan's like Christine Quinn's to bring everything under city control also really can't happen, MTA Bus can be easilly brought back under city control but the rest of the MTA/NYCT operation would be difficult to take over, you would have to buy the MTA's lease on the subway, the bus routes/buses/depots, and so on, it would take a hell of a lot of money and probably just won't happen.

To add: There's a finance committee structure within the MTA that deals with approving capital budgets along with the capitol construction committee in the case of approving capitol construction plans, GO's, new purchases of rolling stock, structural improvements etc.

The finance committee and audit committee assembles to put plans on the table on how to deal with issues such as with fare collection profit margins (i.e fare hikes)

The chairperson has to ink the deal.

Exactly, and the current head of the TA is a Cuomo appointee.

Didn't you read about the CONCOURSE set part. It was a mix of 2600's and 2700's. I know the (B) uses R68's, but the ones it uses are from Coney Island yard which are late 2700's, 2800's, and the early 2900's.

I believe someone had mentioned this. The B and D swapped cars b/c the Concourse 68's are being overused on the D. Now some B trains will have those R68's and some D trains will have R68A.

1. Today I saw the same set of R62s thrice today on the (1) train. I rode it the third time.

2. I also saw an R46 (F) with the (R) rollsign.

3. I have a question; do 75 Foot cars stop at the 8 car markers or the 10 car markers because 8 75" cars are equal to 10 60" cars.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

1. Today I saw the same set of R62s thrice today on the (1) train. I rode it the third time.

2. I also saw an R46 (F) with the (R) rollsign.

3. I have a question; do 75 Foot cars stop at the 8 car markers or the 10 car markers because 8 75" cars are equal to 10 60" cars.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I saw it and took pics its in my latest photo set

( the R62's on the (1) )

Just a couple

Hello folks. Sorry if this has been posted previously on these forums, as I've only lurked around these parts for a long time and barely post......but I came across this recently. Has anyone checked this out lately?

https://www.facebook.com/r36preservation

EDIT: They're trying to save R36WF cars 9400-01 from the scrapper and preserve it for future operation, being its the only Westinghouse pair of their class still remaining...and they seem to be doing some sort of progress.

- M.F. '86

<4>

Edited by M. Friday 1986

Where they the ex-single cars? ie: 2000-2100s.

alejr88, on 28 Aug 2013 - 2:11 PM, said:

I believe someone had mentioned this. The B and D swapped cars b/c the Concourse 68's are being overused on the D. Now some B trains will have those R68's and some D trains will have R68A.

That makes sense. I missed this earlier. Will be nice to see the shinier R68s at CI. I hope the R68As to Concourse will mean they'll be cleaner.

Edited by Grand Concourse