SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen numbers that low. I know there are (E) trains terminating at Kew Gardens.

When the R160 were brand new, up to 9232 was originally CI's. 9233-9242 was the first JY set which ran on the (E).

Then, something changed, and it went as far down as 9112 or 9117. Now it's what I previously explained.

On friday on the countdown clock at Brooklyn Bridge I saw it say a downtown (2) train in 7 minutes and in the station I saw a Nereid Av/238 St bound (5) train and on the countdown clock I saw a (5) to Gun Hill Road. How come one (5) is stopped at Gun Hill Road due to service changes while the other one continues on to Neried Av/238 St? Also I saw a late (6) train skip Canal St and I saw that (2) train at Bleeker St as I was on the elevator to the (F) train. Rush Hours are always interesting.

I'm glad that the (MTA) discontinued the old brown (M) Nassau Street service, especially when it ran via the Montague Street tube, Fourth Avenue and West End local lines. They did the right thing in recoloring and rerouted the (M) onto Sixth Avenue, 53rd Street and Queens Boulevard to replace the (V) (except for 2nd Avenue). During the AM Rush, the southbound (D) and (M) trains were empty through the West End line (except school goers or whatever).

If business men and women at rush hour commute to go to CBD areas or more populated areas, then by all means no more spending money on empty trains in the reverse peak direction during rush hour.

While the new M is good and more useful than the V going to just 2nd av and the M to Chambers st (Bay pkwy rush hours), I still wonder if there could've been a demand for the V to church av (as express or a local)? The old M probably didn't need to go all the way to Bay Pkwy or even 9th av, but it's not like it had to be routed north. It was just a byproduct of severing 2 underused stub ends and giving some folks 1 less train to transfer to. The only good is that the Queens blvd end of the line doesn't have a full 600' 'empty train' (so it's 2 less empty cars).

Edited by Grand Concourse

All I gotta say is when they got rid of the (W) they screwed up Broadway, the (W) helped out a lot and everything ran smoothly, there's more than enough equipment to bring it back as in going to Whitehall, all of the trains that were on the (W) went to the (N)/(Q) for added service

No they didn't. The W used 10 trains. The Q went up by 5 trains. The N didn't change (the local running time wasn't enough to require any additional cars).

Broadway runs basically fine, as far as I can see. It's a bit less congested than it was with the W.

The W will be coming back when SAS opens. It certainly can't come back now - the R has taken over its south terminal pocket.

I have waited up to 15-20 for mins for the (R) to arrive , it is clear that the (R) can't handle Manhattan and Queens by itself and that the (W) needs to come back, besides aren't there enough R68 and R160s to reactivate the (W) if ever needed to.

I've waited up to 15-20 minutes for pretty much every line I've ridden. That doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem.

Except at night, the R is scheduled more frequently than that. If the R has a reliability problem, then efforts should be made to solve the reliability problem. Throwing more trains at it won't solve anything.

The R doesn't handle Queens, or Manhattan north of Canal, by itself - the M and N share the work. The Manhattan stations south of Canal are not particularly busy - even before the Montague tube shutdown, southbound R trains in the morning were mostly empty by the time they left Canal.

To add:  if a secondary BMT 4th Ave local can also be implemented along with the current West End and Sea Beach Expresses, also thr (R). The 6th Ave (M) via Chrystie St cut is out because it is a critical line, so in my opinion if a perspective (W) can be sent down the West End line that could work. It would do wonders on the insanely jam packed (N) particularly on the AM rush which is worse then the (D) on the AM and PM rush.

The southern M was cut because ridership was very, very low, and there was more than ample room on the alternative routes to carry every M rider. Unless ridership grows substantially on the 4th Avenue or West End line, why bring it back in any form?

Well in the future they'll run on the (A) again may not be 14 sets but 3-4 sets, they're not banned, its just that putting them on the (A) is a pain in the ass in the summer and last year they ran most of them to lefferts, not far rock

They seemed pretty evenly split, from what I could tell. Aside from the Rock Park trains, there didn't seem to be much preference one way or the other.

While the new M is good and more useful than the V going to just 2nd av and the M to Chambers st (Bay pkwy rush hours), I still wonder if there could've been a demand for the V to church av (as express or a local)? The old M probably didn't need to go all the way to Bay Pkwy or even 9th av, but it's not like it had to be routed north. It was just a byproduct of severing 2 underused stub ends and giving some folks 1 less train to transfer to. The only good is that the Queens blvd end of the line doesn't have a full 600' 'empty train' (so it's 2 less empty cars).

The F to Brooklyn is not overcrowded. Crowded, yes, but adding on 10 tph would have been overkill.

The purpose of combining the two M's was to save money, since it's cheaper to run trains through than to have two nearby terminals. The connection has proved very popular among riders - that seems like pretty good news to me.

No they didn't. The W used 10 trains. The Q went up by 5 trains. The N didn't change (the local running time wasn't enough to require any additional cars).

Broadway runs basically fine, as far as I can see. It's a bit less congested than it was with the W.

The W will be coming back when SAS opens. It certainly can't come back now - the R has taken over its south terminal pocket.

I've waited up to 15-20 minutes for pretty much every line I've ridden. That doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem.

Except at night, the R is scheduled more frequently than that. If the R has a reliability problem, then efforts should be made to solve the reliability problem. Throwing more trains at it won't solve anything.

The R doesn't handle Queens, or Manhattan north of Canal, by itself - the M and N share the work. The Manhattan stations south of Canal are not particularly busy - even before the Montague tube shutdown, southbound R trains in the morning were mostly empty by the time they left Canal.

The southern M was cut because ridership was very, very low, and there was more than ample room on the alternative routes to carry every M rider. Unless ridership grows substantially on the 4th Avenue or West End line, why bring it back in any form?

They seemed pretty evenly split, from what I could tell. Aside from the Rock Park trains, there didn't seem to be much preference one way or the other.

The F to Brooklyn is not overcrowded. Crowded, yes, but adding on 10 tph would have been overkill.

The purpose of combining the two M's was to save money, since it's cheaper to run trains through than to have two nearby terminals. The connection has proved very popular among riders - that seems like pretty good news to me.

Can't the MTA use the 40 5 Car R179s for (F) express service?

Stupid question but are T/Os told to radio C/Rs or nearby officers whenever they see someone jump the turnstile?

I don't think they are. It would be a waste of time, and the subject would probably be gone by the time the cops get there. 

(135 seems to be a big one for that. I see they've put a few cops at the turnstiles at 135 (CPW). 

_____

Today's commute sucked. When I got to woodhaven, I just missed the Queens bound (R) (No Manhattan bound (R) service). I waited 17 minutes for the next train to come (which was packed). I wanted to get the (F) express G.O. from Parsons to Continental, So I took an (F) to Parsons Blvd. As I passed, someone decided to layup a train on the exp track between Union Tpke and 75 Avenue. It backed up trains a few stops, then things were moving again.

I get off at Parsons, and have to wait for 3 (F) trains to pass until I finally got an R46 (F) . It was pretty fast from Parsons to Kew Gardens, then slow to 75 Ave and stopped. It then proceeded again after 75, and went normal speed on Queens Blvd.

Later, when I went to transfer from the (D) to the (2) at Atlantic, I had just missed the (2) to Flatbush. The next train was 12 minutes away (All (3) s seemed to be trailing the (2). Finally I get the train, and get to Church Avenue.

Something really needs to be done about the (R) on Weekends. Service is just terrible. (I have to admit, it's a bit better ever since the (R) hasn't been going through montague). 

I don't think they are. It would be a waste of time, and the subject would probably be gone by the time the cops get there. 

True thou in the situation I saw earlier the cops were already on the train. Some guy jumped at Crescent St as a Jamaica bd train was entering the station. The turnstiles at that station are very visible to the T/O. Soon as he came on, a couple of officers came from the next car and told him to step off the train...

I think that might be a glitch... According to schedules they're supposed to run every 20 mins at that time of night. 

True thou in the situation I saw earlier the cops were already on the train. Some guy jumped at Crescent St as a Jamaica bd train was entering the station. The turnstiles at that station are very visible to the T/O. Soon as he came on, a couple of officers came from the next car and told him to step off the train...

They probably saw him from the next car. 

Speaking of farebeating, saw a group of tourists at 34/Penn the other day going through the gate since their metrocard "Wasn't working". A cop was right around the corner, and the group didn't realize that they couldn't continue swiping with the same card without waiting 18 minutes. 

Also, I have a question. They say for Pay per ride (fare) metrocards that you can swipe up to four people at a time. Does that mean even if you have enough fare for the fifth one, it will say "Just used"? I've never witnessed this, but wondered if this was true.

Also, I have a question. They say for Pay per ride (fare) metrocards that you can swipe up to four people at a time. Does that mean even if you have enough fare for the fifth one, it will say "Just used"? I've never witnessed this, but wondered if this was true.

I've seen that happen before. It'll say: "Exceeded transfer limit".

Edited by S78 via Hylan

I went to Forest hills today to get the night map and the station clerk looked and didn't find any so they just gave me the current map. It was annoying. It said on the MTA website that there are night maps at Continental.

Tried Friday and Yesterday at Queens Plaza - no dice.  Even went out to Roosevelt to ask after QP didn't have them, where the clerk was nice enough to inform me that "There's no such thing as a late night map".  :mellow:

I can't blame the guy for not being informed if he wasn't informed about them though. 

In fairness, the website says "the maps WILL be at these stations" - not that they are already there. So, who knows when they're going to show up. If I manage to find one, I'll share the info. 

1:41 Oops :P

___

Today was another POS commute. I waited 10 minutes for the (R) to show up, and the platform and train were packed. Four locals were back to back behind that (R) (R160).

Right when that first (R) pulled into Roosevelt Ave, the doors on the (E) closed. Practically everyone getting off the train was pissed. After that, two (F) s showed up, and finally a 5-minute late crowded (E) showed up. To make things worse, right when we start to go by 65 Street there's trackwork, and it continues 1/4 of the express run. I got to my destination about 30 minutes later than I was supposed to.

Later, when I was coming home, I saw they put 5636 in the middle of the train <_< . I guess i'm not riding it anytime soon.

I did finally see 5668 after several months, it seems to have a better whine.

wtf-poster-01-570x596.jpg

I love how everybody is all "blame the mayor" without realizing the MTA is a STATE agency.

Yes, the mayor does appoint a few members to the MTA board, but in addition to Bloomie's appointees, you also have appointees from the Governor and the County Executive of every county where the MTA provides service in NY State.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life