SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Passed by Corona yesterday... two sets of R188s: one in the barn, one outside (and one in service). Also noticed a pair of redbirds, which surprised me. Anybody know what set those two are?

Man, have no idea I wanted to ask the same question but yep they're there. Saw it yesterday too, a redbird married pair laid up @ Corona near the sheds.

Both R188s were in service yesterday (Saturday). When did you see the first set in the barn? I got there at the IRT Flushing Line about 2ish.

Edited by realizm

Man, have no idea I wanted to ask the same question but yep they're there. Saw it yesterday too, a redbird married pair laid up @ Corona near the sheds.

Both R188s were in service yesterday (Saturday). When did you see the first set in the barn? I got there at the IRT Flushing Line about 2ish.

Do you know what car numbers?

Expect major delays on the (C) Euclid bound. smfhhh! Trust me everyone got this B25 I'm on right now compalining that the train isn't coming.

There's a rail condition at Rego Park on the IND QBL forcing most (E) trains (And the (F) ) to scrape the walls to Queens Plaza (or 21st Quensbridge in the case of the 6th Ave service), which is creating a domino effect all the way to 8th Avenue creating a nightmare for train dispatchers. That may be holding up the (C). Also the fact that they are ending (C) service early as we should be in a Plan 4 as of now. A couple of problems that may be causing the delay that you are experiencing.

They are doing that to free up the express tracks to send the trains underground to prepare for the storm.

There's a rail condition at Rego Park on the IND QBL forcing most (E) trains (And the (F) ) to scrape the walls to Queens Plaza (or 21st Quensbridge in the case of the 6th Ave service), which is creating a domino effect all the way to 8th Avenue creating a nightmare for train dispatchers. That may be holding up the (C). Also the fact that they are ending (C) service early as we should be in a Plan 4 as of now. A couple of problems that may be causing the delay that you are experiencing.

They are doing that to free up the express tracks to send the trains underground to prepare for the storm.

What does scraping the walls mean? 

How are Train yards cleared during heavy snowfall? do they use those snow vacuum/melting machines and run them on each track?

From what I observed in the past, usually they would run a single locomotive around the yard, running one track at a time, to clear out the snow from the rails, enough to run a train through. Recently I've seen photos of workers using shovels to clear out switches in yards as well.

Edited by M. Friday 1986

Can anybody please tell me how fast the (A) train goes through the Jamaica Bay (midway between Howard Beach and Broad Channel)? Is it at least 35-40 MPH? Or is it 45-50 MPH?

Also, I realized that the timers at Franklin-Fulton S/B because the express is going uphill at the point south of the said station. The (A) also seems to hit at least 38-40 MPH into North Conduit S/B and Broad Channel N/B respectively, same goes for Howard Beach N/B, in my experiences.

Had 1831-1835 on the (6) today, didn't catch what the set was paired to though. Really moved along, and set was in good shape with all the right rollsigns and the strip maps gone.

It was coupled to 1746-1750 , i saw it today while i was onboard R62As 1721-1725 and 1791-1795 which by the way all have (6) strip maps now as well.