SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I see discussions on all day (5) service to 238 and weekend (B) service. What next, the (5) should go to Brooklyn on weekends?

I don't see why not. Quite a few weekend (4) s are pretty crowded between about 14th Street and Nevins. Of course, this could be helped by increasing frequency.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see discussions on all day (5) service to 238 and weekend (B) service. What next, the (5) should go to Brooklyn on weekends?

Not a bad idea actually. I didnt really go through the thread on the WPR and post but living in Brooklyn the (2) can get heavy alone on the Nostrand Ave Line.

They extended the (5) weekday off peak to Brooklyn College for that reason, ridership is growing and will continue to do so.

Oh as far as the (B) again, ride the (D) on weekends and see its crushloaded. Nothing wrong with speculating, I dont believe there is anything wrong with it.

But for the record the answer is increase (D) service. No foaming there it just practical common sense in regards to passenger ridership needs, big difference.

Edited by realizm

I wonder what happened earlier on the (BMT) Broadway line around 3:30 PM yesterday. The (R) train I was on got rerouted via the (F) to 2 Ave after 36 Street in Queens. I also saw two (N) s on both uptown tracks at 34 Street, a downtown (R) switching to the express track at 34 Street, and another (R) right behind it (which happened to be an R46).

On Saturday I got caught off guard when 5636 showed up on the (A) . 5598-5600 & 5634-5636 are on the (A) since Pitkin's R46 are supposedly getting SMSed. (When I first saw the set at Penn Station I thought it was an (E) since it was a Jamaica set and on the local track).

5636 & 5754 both have a nice whining sound to the motors when they speed up, similar to PATCO's cars. Funny how 5754 happens to be the first R46, originally 500. 

http://www.streetsblog.org/2014/01/14/now-arriving-on-the-brooklyn-bound-track-the-worst-ad-placement-ever/

Now Arriving on the Brooklyn-Bound Track, the Worst Ad Placement Ever
by Brad Aaron

fwrap.jpg

Whoever convinced Jaguar to buy this ad wrap, spotted by Doug Gordon, is earning his or her salary. I mean, what do the F train and the F-Type have in common, other than the letter F?

Yes, they’re both transportation vehicles. But one costs around $2 per trip while the other starts at $69,000 — plus taxes, license fees, insurance, parking, gas, and maintenance. Seriously, who sees this ad and thinks, “I believe I’ll trade my MetroCard for a $1,500 a month debt load”?

The F train doesn’t have a top speed of whatever, but it can get from 14th Street to Prospect Park with just 12 stops in between. And there’s no battling the horn-honking morass at the toll-free East River bridges.

“Good To Be Bad” — what’s that about? Good to be a bad driver? Good to be bad with money? Hard to tell given the context.

Jaguar can’t seem to settle on a tagline these days, but I notice they didn’t pick “Mark Your Territory” for this one. Maybe that’s because when it comes to getting around NYC — in terms of cost, convenience, and speed — the subway leaves even the most bombastic hot rod in the dust. No lame slogan can change that.

================================================================

I agree, basically what the author is saying is exactly what I said in short: Wrap ads suck to bounds unknown.

I don't mind wrap ads, per se, but please, for the love of god, make them bearable to look at. Too many ad wraps over the past few years, especially in North America, but other places are guilty of this too, look like someone vomited all over them.

And yes, car ads suck. For that matter, political and religious ads can go f**k themselves too.

I don't mind wrap ads, per se, but please, for the love of god, make them bearable to look at. Too many ad wraps over the past few years, especially in North America, but other places are guilty of this too, look like someone vomited all over them.

And yes, car ads suck. For that matter, political and religious ads can go f**k themselves too.

What religious wrap ads (on subway cars....) are you talking about here? Never heard of it.

What religious wrap ads (on subway cars....) are you talking about here? Never heard of it.

It hasn't happened in New York, and it wasn't a wrap, but a while back (circa 2009) there was an ad campaign in Toronto saying "There is probably no God... no stop worrying" or something to that effect.

While I am of that opinion as well, shoving your views down other people's throats is wrong regardless of the party that does it. These guys probably hate it when religious people shove their views down their throats, so for them to be doing it is the height of hypocrisy.

And there are various ads on Toronto buses that have Bible verses. "Thou shalt always keep thy religion to thyself", as George Carlin so eloquently put it.

I wonder what happened earlier on the (BMT) Broadway line around 3:30 PM yesterday. The (R) train I was on got rerouted via the (F) to 2 Ave after 36 Street in Queens. I also saw two (N) s on both uptown tracks at 34 Street, a downtown (R) switching to the express track at 34 Street, and another (R) right behind it (which happened to be an R46).

On Saturday I got caught off guard when 5636 showed up on the (A) . 5598-5600 & 5634-5636 are on the (A) since Pitkin's R46 are supposedly getting SMSed. (When I first saw the set at Penn Station I thought it was an (E) since it was a Jamaica set and on the local track).

5636 & 5754 both have a nice whining sound to the motors when they speed up, similar to PATCO's cars. Funny how 5754 happens to be the first R46, originally 500. 

Your numbers are wrong there are only three in each set according to what you posted.

It hasn't happened in New York, and it wasn't a wrap, but a while back (circa 2009) there was an ad campaign in Toronto saying "There is probably no God... no stop worrying" or something to that effect.

While I am of that opinion as well, shoving your views down other people's throats is wrong regardless of the party that does it. These guys probably hate it when religious people shove their views down their throats, so for them to be doing it is the height of hypocrisy.

And there are various ads on Toronto buses that have Bible verses. "Thou shalt always keep thy religion to thyself", as George Carlin so eloquently put it.

Understood.

Same thing with weekend full-length (M) service, send all (A) trains to/from the Rockaways, send the (C) to Lefferts etc etc. The list goes on and on and on (past and/or recent discussions actually...).

There's nothing wrong with trains being crowded, like say 128 people per car on a 10-car train consisting of 60 footers, at least to me actually...I think many people just want a "slightly" less crowded train just so they can get a seat. I mean as long as you still have some room and personal space, it really shouldn't matter. As long as the train is not crushed loaded to the brim. And a tiny portion of people confuse the two (A) branches and that isn't enough to renamed one of them.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I think people instinctively want more service when trains are crowded because people on a train represent a demand for service. If people sense demand is high (the train is crowded every weekend) it won't make sense that there are fewer trains. Especially when the justification for fewer trains on the weekends is that less people use them (which is incongruous to what the passengers are seeing).

So the other day, I was watching a video of the R110B in service on the (A) in 1993. I felt bad for the dude recording lmao ???? They violated him. Asking why he was taking pictures, smacking the camera & ish. And these two loud, bummy girls got on at 125 street or something like that yelling "New Train! Yeaa boyy!" And they get off at 42nd Street with one of the girls shouting "Everybody give me ya money RIGHT NOW! f**k this new train. Nobody need this ish" ????

And of course everyone was foaming. Even at the paper strip map. It was the 90's duh.

Edited by E For Erica

Watch NYC Public schools still be open despite treacherous conditions. 

That has different meaning in every state I feel. I mean look at the treacherous disaster in Atlanta and parts of Florida after some "flurries."

===

Hmm, I'm more worried about morning commute than evening commute for some odd reason, for tomorrow.

Edited by peacemak3r

Well on my end all I can say to the incoming storm is to bring it on. I gotta keep it moving with school and work etc, ultimately I want that nursing degree, plus on the IT professional end I have to keep the income flowing. As the saying goes got to bite the bullet.

Plan 5? Guess the (N) is out of the question. Hello (R) train to the (C) whatever...