SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

You would have to remove support columns between the two tracks. Depending on how critical these columns are, you might have to build additional support to prevent the ceiling from collapsing. You then have to rip out entire sections of track on the express and local, completely suspending Downtown (B)(D)(F)(M) service below West 4th. Once you install the switches and necessary signals, you have to run several tests on the switches to make sure they work. You then have to find a permanent way to support the tunnel ceiling. All of this has to be done below power lines, water mains, and below a densely populated neighborhood.... Soho... sound easy now? One f*ck up and you might be sending thousands of pounds of rock crashing down the tunnel.

You have to be 10 years old to think that installing a new crossover would be something done over a weekend with a few thousand bucks....

Agreed. You can't even have one south of B-L because the bridge tracks immediately slope down. I do wonder why they didn't put crossovers under Chrystie Street between the Manny B and Willy B tracks when they built the thing, as this would have solved that problem without screwing up anything going to Rutgers. It just isn't worth the cost and that stretch of track is vital to operations. Something goes wrong and the (B)(D) would be back to the split services of when the north side was closed. It would be transit armageddon.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a way it's really not the MTA's fault because they were not the ones who built those IRT lines the way they are. The (7) needed new signals and and it's an isolated line so it's getting those converted R142A's. The (2) and (5) can't get them because they are constantly switching lines and terminals. The (4) could get them but they have no use for the LCD displays so the (6) had to get them. Is there some kind of work the (MTA) can do to increase the speed on the R62A's?

Again, my point is not that the (6) cannot handle them, it's that the bean counters f**ked up on this one when they didn't reconfigure the schedule at all to avoid the kind of overcrowding and gaps in service that we're seeing. 

Talking about strip maps, the R62 (1) I took today (might have been #1307) had its (3) map removed.

Watch it go back on the (3) now :P

It makes sense... When it does go back on the (3) it will get back it's correct strip map. The same happened to 2175, 2236 & 1891 when they went on the (7) . (1891-1895 is still on the (7) btw...)

Another thing on strip maps... Will the (1) ever get any updated strip maps? All I see are the outdated ones with the (W) , (V) and other cut lines on there from pre June-2010...

Also, I wonder if the (7) will re-update theirs. It still says Q32 (Yes, Q32) to LGA & 45 Road-Court House Square with Free metrocard transfer to (E)(G) & (M) .

An update, that set #1306-10 was running on the (1) yesterday and today, and it still does not have a strip map. I believe the other half was #1411-1415. But yeah, perhaps it is because they're dedicating that set for (1) / (3) service?

I'm trying to figure out why everybody wants the (B) and (D) to switch back to their pre-2001 routings. The current operation works fine. The (Q) needs to be part-time because Broadway local service is extremely unreliable and Brighton riders prefer the 24/7 one seat to Broadway. If they want a 6th Avenue train, they can transfer at Atlantic or 34th to the (D), which tends to be pretty reliable as its weekend routing has minimal interaction with other services. The (Q) will have to be full-time when Phase 1 opens. Should the (B) run on weekends? Maybe when funding improves. In the 90s, the (B) 's only purpose outside of Brooklyn was to service 63rd Street. That is covered by the (F) now. And don't forget that making new signs and printing new maps costs a fortune.

Yeah I like the way it is now. Running the (B) & (Q) together in Brooklyn now (To me), is a lot less confusing than the (D) & (Q) running together like back in the day.

This idea is probably "Coo-Coo For Coca Puffs" Crazy, but with all those stops on West End, why not have something like a diamond (D) that would skip some of those stops.

This idea is probably "Coo-Coo For Coca Puffs" Crazy, but with all those stops on West End, why not have something like a diamond (D) that would skip some of those stops.

This was discussed somewhere on here not too long ago, IIRC. Would only really work if something else was on West End (bring back the (M)?) It's like the (F) running express on Culver north of Kings Highway. Would certainly be ridden, but another service is needed (the (V)?) to get local customers to Manhattan.

This was discussed somewhere on here not too long ago, IIRC. Would only really work if something else was on West End (bring back the (M)?) It's like the (F) running express on Culver north of Kings Highway. Would certainly be ridden, but another service is needed (the (V)?) to get local customers to Manhattan.

Oh yeah I forgot about the diamond (M). Good times.

You must be high or something because you really think an all express 7 or (G) Culver Express is going to work. I would not want a 4 car line running express lol that is not happening.

I would assume the (G) would at least be 8 cars under this proposal.

Why the hell would there be a West End Express anyway though? The only reason why the (D) makes all stops on the West End corridor at all times is because all stations want direct Chinatown/Midtown Manhattan service. Running express service on any of the 3-track corridors would make loads widely inconsistent. Usually, the (D) runs 9 tph (rush hour) and 6 tph (off-peak). As always, the (D) runs express between Harlem and Sunset Park to alleviate crowding for long-distance riders traveling between the Bronx and Midtown or between Midtown and South Brooklyn.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

We have another thread here dedicated to these idiotic "add express service EVERYWHERE" proposals. I've worked the West End line every day and on all tours, and the ridership capacity isn't there for express service, with the possible exception of having some holiday specials to/from Coney Island. Having the (D) make all local stops is fine, and having a second service go there (such as when the M did) was completely useless as those trains always ran COMPLETELY empty. Futhermore, I think the (D) should run local on 4th Ave on weekends (aka whenever the (B) isn't running), as Dekalb, Union and 9th St could use the extra service. However, that wouldn't be feasible until the (R) is back using the tunnel.

And for those of you who refuse to listen, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for the (B) and (D) swapping Brooklyn lines. The (D) is a 24/7 line, the (B) is a 18/5 line. The way the (B) has been configured, it can be cut at ANY time without any stations losing service. Even when the (B) was on the West End line, it never ran its full route overnight and on weekends - at times it was a shuttle to either 57-6 or to Pacific St. Also don't forget that it was the same deal with the (Q) back in the 90s - the (Q) was an 18/5 line, similar to what the (B) is now. If the (B) were put back on West End and the (D) back on Brighton, then the Brighton would have two 24/7 services, which is overkill, and then what would handle the West End - do you think ANY of those riders would want a shuttle to Pacific at night rather than through service to Manhattan and the Bronx?

Edited by Snowblock

Because it runs local in Brooklyn?

Did you read the post or just figured to argue the opinion? Many riders I know would rather have a one-seater to Grand Street and 6th Avenue rather Canal Street and Broadway. But of course in this case, majority would win the route change anyway. Now on weekends, the riders I know that prefer to go to 6th Avenue/Grand Street instead would rather drive out instead of take mass transportation and transfer at Atlantic. You have to remember that they usually carry bags of groceries and would rather now make that long walk at Atlantic back to the Q or walk all the way to Canal Street instead.

But of course, people here care far too much on statistics anyway. pft.

We have another thread here dedicated to these idiotic "add express service EVERYWHERE" proposals. I've worked the West End line every day and on all tours, and the ridership capacity isn't there for express service, with the possible exception of having some holiday specials to/from Coney Island. Having the (D) make all local stops is fine, and having a second service go there (such as when the M did) was completely useless as those trains always ran COMPLETELY empty. Futhermore, I think the (D) should run local on 4th Ave on weekends (aka whenever the (B) isn't running), as Dekalb, Union and 9th St could use the extra service. However, that wouldn't be feasible until the (R) is back using the tunnel.

And for those of you who refuse to listen, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for the (B) and (D) swapping Brooklyn lines. The (D) is a 24/7 line, the (B) is a 18/5 line. The way the (B) has been configured, it can be cut at ANY time without any stations losing service. Even when the (B) was on the West End line, it never ran its full route overnight and on weekends - at times it was a shuttle to either 57-6 or to Pacific St. Also don't forget that it was the same deal with the (Q) back in the 90s - the (Q) was an 18/5 line, similar to what the (B) is now. If the (B) were put back on West End and the (D) back on Brighton, then the Brighton would have two 24/7 services, which is overkill, and then what would handle the West End - do you think ANY of those riders would want a shuttle to Pacific at night rather than through service to Manhattan and the Bronx?

Thank you. The (R) needs backup on weekends. I've waited 20 minutes for one on 4th Avenue. I did not know that the (M) ran empty on West End. That right there kills any reason to even have the (D) run express if Nassau service would be the local.

(B) did at one point run 7 days on CPW even running later than the (C), even after midnight. Full West End shuttle service (in both directions) didn't happen until after 2am.

I remember that. It was a brief point from 2000-2001. The B has much better service than the C and even the D when its in service. The B should run to 145th street full time again. Also send the B down the West End Line and the D down the Brighton Line Local.

Why can't some of them use the BM1/2/3/4 if they're going to the city? I mean, more revenue overall.

For one, they rather not pay the extra fare to take the express buses, plus the residents I'm referring to in my area are primarily elder and within that range, they rather not make the transfer at Atlantic nor walk from Canal Street.

For example, I once took my grandmother to Chinatown on the (Q) and she's hated the experience ever since, doesn't like to amount of stairs at Canal Street and hated the fact she'd have to walk to the (D) at Atlantic.

Though of course, the elder population would not be majority of the Brighton riders, so with that a lot of my friends in my age group prefer Grand Street over Canal Street. And of course, in my age group the walk at Atlantic or Canal shouldn't be a problem, but it's just an inconvenience.

But "statistic" shows that people want Broadway. People I know and myself are NOT part of that statistic obviously. It doesn't matter though, on the weekends we drive now instead of taking the (Q). Our numbers won't impact the MTA.

Edited by peacemak3r