SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. It's mainly interlocking work at Roosevelt Av, 71 Av and Kew Gardens. There are some signal upgrades being done as well, but they have nothing to do with CBTC.

Oh ok thanks. It seems to be near Queens Plaza also. It looks like they've installed new track an ties outside Queens Plaza

Can R62As appear on the (2) this weekend> And also why the (5) is running Lexington Av local even though the (4) is running express?

The former using R62A's is a strong possibility, but I'm not sure why Downtown (5)'a will be running. My guess is probably to avoid delays with the (4).

R62s are another possibility, as Livonia will be the closest accessible yard to the (2). This certainly isn't likely, but we could see a set or two of R62s return to the (4) this weekend, again because Livonia is right there and the (4) will be extended all weekend.

On the express thing, good question. Doesn't really make sense. There's a GO on the northbound local sending everything express north of Grand Central, but the (5) running local is a mystery. If there was a GO on the express track, everything would be sent local. Maybe they finally got the hint and put additional local service on the line?

R62s are another possibility, as Livonia will be the closest accessible yard to the (2). This certainly isn't likely, but we could see a set or two of R62s return to the (4) this weekend, again because Livonia is right there and the (4) will be extended all weekend.

On the express thing, good question. Doesn't really make sense. There's a GO on the northbound local sending everything express north of Grand Central, but the (5) running local is a mystery. If there was a GO on the express track, everything would be sent local. Maybe they finally got the hint and put additional local service on the line?

They don't put R62s on the (4) in this G.O.

From what I've noticed, when the (4) and (or (5) run local with the (6), the latter will once in a while have it's headways reduced from 8 to 12 minutes instead the (5) being cut to 3 TPH. This might be the case since the (2) will be suspended north of 96 and the (5) has to carry the load which 20 minute headways would obviously not work.

I could be incorrect, but just a long thought I wanted to share.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Did anyone else notice the Vintage rollsigns (Font) on R32 #3437 ??

I want to look out for that.

What do you mean? Is it an R30 style rollsign?

If so it would have some cool readings.

Calling all foamers.

I would love to have that rollsign. or at least fiddle with it.

Can R62As appear on the (2) this weekend> And also why the (5) is running Lexington Av local even though the (4) is running express?

From what I've noticed, when the (4) and (or (5) run local with the (6), the latter will once in a while have it's headways reduced from 8 to 12 minutes instead the (5) being cut to 3 TPH. This might be the case since the (2) will be suspended north of 96 and the (5) has to carry the load which 20 minute headways would obviously not work.

I could be incorrect, but just a long thought I wanted to share.

The 5 is running local to maintain spacing on Lexington Avenue. With the 2 suspended in the Bronx, there will likely be added 5 trains running to compensate. Running all those trains express on the Lex will just over-serve the line.

As for 62s (either ones) appearing on the 2, while possible, I don't think it will happen. Unlike the last time Lenox Avenue was shut down, White Plains Road (and therefore 239th Street Yard) still has access to a Manhattan trunk and can still send a 142 to the 2-line, albeit via the South Ferry loop. The last time this service disruption occurred, there wasn't any service between 3 Av-149 St and 96 St.