SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This may sound hilarious at first but its true: At certain locations given the area, the tunnels will give off an offensive odor because the water table is high in that area. Same reason why 59th Street also reaks of piss, but it may not actually because of people urinating there. The waterproofing at these corridors is failing allowing for water from the surrounding soil and rock to seep in. They may need to inject grout into the concrete continuous benchwalls in the stations to stop the leakage.

Nice to know!

They should put the service box back and be done with it.

That would make too much sense. Next thing, you'll want the line maps back. You can't be greedy  :lol:

Speaking of line maps, I've updated the one I created some time ago to show restoration of (R) line service through the Montague Street tubes. Check it out here.

Since the Montague tunnel is repaired, which will be the next that will be worked on and how will it impact service?

I'm not sure any of them need work like Montague did. If you recall, when they reopened montague it was several instances of delays because of signal problems every single day. 

I think most of the other tubes have been pretty much okay since the storm. I'm not saying they won't need work, but I doubt there will a multiple-months closure. 

Today there was another two E train moment at Union Tpke, at 7:42 AM, with one train from 179 St via Local and one via Express from JC. It was funny seeing the confused passengers.

Later, at UT, I caught a Garbage train, I was so mad because my camera had no battery and I couldn't find the charger, so I took photos of the lousier kind from my phone. There were two R32s 3695-3694 and their rollsigns were set to North Terminal Howard Beach JFK JFK Express

Just a reminder: continue to expect seeing a few R160s on the (R) and a few R46s on the (F). It depends on what's already available at Jamaica yard and/or the Hillside Avenue middle tracks.

I rode the (R) twice today: 1) earlier in the morning from Atlantic-Barlcays to 42nd before I took the (A) to school. 2) later in the afternoon took the (C) to 42nd, then change to the (R) for Forest Hills, then reverse back to Atlantic to catch the (3) home. The ride was smooth, including through the Montague tubes and I counted about 3-4 sets of R160s.

You make it sound like the NTTs are perfect in *everything* like a few other members here....generally speaking

So just because i said i prefer 160's than R46 means that i believe they are "Perfect"? I never said they were so sit down. When you have to deal the (R) everyday and try to make it to your destination on time then it's a big deal...

I saw it being mostly 160 today...

and I saw  4 of them in the morning. During midday they were all layed up. One was layed up between 86 and 95 Street.

Edited by tvega961

It seems that lines with R160's are generally more on time.

The 8 fewer doors per train increases loading times on the R46's, that's what's slowing them down. 

Add to that the northbound R trains have over a dozen more stops at which to get slowed down than they did on the split route, and I guarantee evening northbound R service will be worse than it was when it was split. 

Yeah, the R46s are not in bad shape at all, their car performance is not bad, even though the R68s surpasses them. I mean they will have to retire eventually but to me not bad.

I got feedback though that many T/Os dont like R46s since their brake response time is too long, it can be a several second delay in terms of response time. Well anything is better then those trashed R42s. Just looking at the carbodies, now those cars are truly rotted out.

R160s are a given, high performance cars the best of the best in the overall fleet. (Never understood why some railfans hate them, it makes no sense)