SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

That's unnecessary. You're just creating more confusing and delays (depending on the passenger him/herself) by sending those "few" (F) 's via 53rd and (M) 's via 63rd.

The only way to prevent that from happening is to keep riders associated with the regular current service patterns on each line, rather than sending these lines here or there.

Edit: And if I'm not mistaken, the only reason why the 63rd branch was built was to bypass the congested 53rd corridor, which would've been forced to handle the current 30 tph on the (E)(F) combined. Having two express lines go there isn't feasible and neither is forcing more 53rd riders to transfer at Rockefeller Ctr or Queens Plaza if they need local service via the (M) or (R).

yes i would be confusing but balancing crowds on the E and F is neeed.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, you try telling riders that some trains are going via 53rd Street while the rest are running normally through 63rd Street and vice-versa for the M. Hell, some riders are still confused with the limited 2/5 runs to New Lots and Utica. And those happen every weekday at the same time.

As for the having the M run via 63rd Street or 53rd Street, it really doesn't matter, since you still have the balance of having both Queens Blvd express and local lines serving Manhattan. The problem is the F. Putting the F back on 53rd Street makes for a tight squeeze with little room for incidents, especially during the rush hours.

Yeah, you try telling riders that some trains are going via 53rd Street while the rest are running normally through 63rd Street and vice-versa for the M. Hell, some riders are still confused with the limited 2/5 runs to New Lots and Utica. And those happen every weekday at the same time.

As for the having the M run via 63rd Street or 53rd Street, it really doesn't matter, since you still have the balance of having both Queens Blvd express and local lines serving Manhattan. The problem is the F. Putting the F back on 53rd Street makes for a tight squeeze with little room for incidents, especially during the rush hours.

so what would you do with the overcrowding of the E?

What more could we do to stop it? If the (F) were brought back to 53rd, then obviously it would get just as "overcrowded" as the (E). Again, that's why they built the 63rd branch and the (F) was rerouted there. The Queens Blvd Express is already at capacity during the rush. You cannot physically run any more than at most 30 trains per hour on any line, believe it or not, it's up to you guys.

It may very well be possible on paper, but it's a tight squeeze. That's why the (E) and (F) frequently slow down and at times get held due to the highest combined frequency in the system. I'm pretty sure it's obvious that you dislike delays and bunching as much as you dislike having crushloaded trains.

Just a quick question-

Why is that when I was stuck in the chaos of no Downtown (F) trains, and stopped at Lexingition 59 St, I went into the uptown platform and found out that the (Q) Platform door was unlocked and I went inside. Just as I went in someone spoke behind me and scared me that I nearly fell into the track. He said what are you doing up here? I responded I was looking for the downtown (F), and he said that there was no (F) and that's this platform was for an extension of the (S). I said what (S)? He said that this platform would be for the new (S) service.

And this is my question:

Huh!?!?

If you knew that it was the (Q) platform door, why'd you just go in. I mean, that area isn't open to the public (yet). Unless you had special permission, you shouldn't do that.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

There isn't much you can do to alleviate the overcrowding situation on the E line. You can't run more E trains because Queens Blvd is at or near capacity. You can't flip the F and M across 53rd and 63rd Streets because the former line's stations at Lexington Av and 5 Av will be severely overcrowded with those narrow platforms while 63rd Street will be under-utilized with the M's high intervals between trains. What we really need is the same thing we needed way back in '68, a bypass that would siphon some trains off Queens Blvd, but the likelihood of us seeing that is somewhere between "fat chance" and "not happening".

Here let me go point by point what I think may happen if the MTA can get the 32 billion on time

1)CBTC on 8th Avenue as well as QBL (Was inckluded in past MTA documents, have it somewhere in theb 20 needs assessment book.

2) Penn Station Access project will give people one seat rides to Connecicut (cars are crushloaded by the time a trains reached 53rd Avenue on thye IND). Same with EST: Grand Central access also a one seat ride.

3)New rolling stock is coming anticipating the QBL CBTC project that has back on the table for negotions with city elected individuals. It is to start in November samd time as Sea Beach rehab.

4)Variois +SBS+ projects including plans to assess the feasibility of Q44 SBSn as a vey useful crosstown route.

5) This combined will alleviate congestion on the 53rd Street corridor unless Cuomo rejects the MTA plans again

6)New R179 and R211 cars CBTC ready. R160 kits for CBTC possible.

*Note 7 extension, SAS, sea beach rehab and QBL CBTC nay get the go ahead to be completed on time save for ADA issues at 34th Street and CBTC installations bugs to be fixed out on the Flushing line.

Edited by realizm