SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Okay and...? Crews mess around with the signs on out of service trains all the time. It's not breaking news.

Speaking of news, expect a Plan 4 to be implemented tomorrow into Tuesday due to the upcoming snowstorm.

Yep now it's a Blizzard coming and of course Tueaday is my birthday. I'll be going out still but undecided where atm wow

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay and...? Crews mess around with the signs on out of service trains all the time. It's not breaking news.

Speaking of news, expect a Plan 4 to be implemented tomorrow into Tuesday due to the upcoming snowstorm.

If this affects my school life (I have a regents on the snow day) I'll be really upset.

If this affects my school life (I have a regents on the snow day) I'll be really upset.

I remember the day there was a signal malfunction on the (7). It was the day of one of my final exams. After 20 minutes of no TS bound trains, an express came and it was crush loaded, so we fled to the other platform. At 61 st, we were stalled for long enough for me to write a one page letter to the AP in charge of the exam in Spanish (I'm a native English speaker btw)

In the end, I was saved because the exam started 15 minutes late and I had left with 30 minutes set aside for (7) train delays. -_-

*CBTC plz*

I remember the day there was a signal malfunction on the (7). It was the day of one of my final exams. After 20 minutes of no TS bound trains, an express came and it was crush loaded, so we fled to the other platform. At 61 st, we were stalled for long enough for me to write a one page letter to the AP in charge of the exam in Spanish (I'm a native English speaker btw)

In the end, I was saved because the exam started 15 minutes late and I had left with 30 minutes set aside for (7) train delays. -_-

*CBTC plz*

I hope that could happen to me to, or maybe reschedule the exams to Wednesdays, the short days that give enough time for an exam to run.

Had this fun ride on the (2) earlier today. So we get to President St and the conductor announces the next stop will be Church Av followed by Flatbush Av (skipping Sterling St, Winthrop St, Beverley Rd and Newkirk Av; this happens sometimes when (2) or (5) trains are delayed). We skipped Sterling St and Winthrop St like normal, but the train skipped Church Av too without any warning. I'm guessing the crew realized they made a mistake, since we stopped at Beverley Rd (which is great for me, since that's my stop). A lot of people who seemed to normally get off at Church Av got off there and seemed so confused. Some of them just waited on the platform, some of them got off and got back on on the Manhattan-bound side, and some just resolved to walk to Church Av. Must have been unchartered territory for them.

Does anyone have a list of all the plans and what they include? (For the blizzards).

Here you go. As I state every time I post this since 2010, add Plan 5 to this list. That level consists of completely shutting down open-cut lines that collect snow easily like Dyre Ave, the Brighton and Sea Beach lines.

Had this fun ride on the (2) earlier today. So we get to President St and the conductor announces the next stop will be Church Av followed by Flatbush Av (skipping Sterling St, Winthrop St, Beverley Rd and Newkirk Av; this happens sometimes when (2) or (5) trains are delayed). We skipped Sterling St and Winthrop St like normal, but the train skipped Church Av too without any warning. I'm guessing the crew realized they made a mistake, since we stopped at Beverley Rd (which is great for me, since that's my stop). A lot of people who seemed to normally get off at Church Av got off there and seemed so confused. Some of them just waited on the platform, some of them got off and got back on on the Manhattan-bound side, and some just resolved to walk to Church Av. Must have been unchartered territory for them.

Did they give free tickets to go back Manhattan bound since you can't do it in-system?

Here you go. As I state every time I post this since 2010, add Plan 5 to this list. That level consists of completely shutting down open-cut lines that collect snow easily like Dyre Ave, the Brighton and Sea Beach lines.

Thanks. Would the entire Brighton be shut down, or only north of Avenue H / Kings Highway?

Edited by P3F

Thanks. Would the entire Brighton be shut down, or only north of Avenue H / Kings Highway?

From Parkside Avenue to Kings Highway is pretty much one monolithic segment. There are no switches, so the section from Parkside Avenue to Kings Highway would probably be shut down as a whole. Parkside Avenue has been used as a terminal before, so I'm sure it can terminate trains. Church Avenue could be used to terminate trains too if Parkside Avenue is skipped. But all the stations down to Kings Highway would have to go unserved.

From Parkside Avenue to Kings Highway is pretty much one monolithic segment. There are no switches, so the section from Parkside Avenue to Kings Highway would probably be shut down as a whole. Parkside Avenue has been used as a terminal before, so I'm sure it can terminate trains. Church Avenue could be used to terminate trains too if Parkside Avenue is skipped. But all the stations down to Kings Highway would have to go unserved.

But would they operate service from Coney Island to Kings Highway, though?

Edited by P3F

But would they operate service from Coney Island to Kings Highway, though?

I'm pretty sure it's been done before. How they weigh their priorities there, though, I have no idea. The MTA seems to take a liking to shutting the whole line down to Coney Island and replacing it with shuttle bus service.

I'm pretty sure it's been done before. How they weigh their priorities there, though, I have no idea. The MTA seems to take a liking to shutting the whole line down to Coney Island and replacing it with shuttle bus service.

Okay, thanks for the information.

Does anyone notice that in the (4) schedule, the time that (3) trains still run, evening trains towards Utica are running local while trains towards Manhattan run express like normal? Is this because of unnecessary ridership for express service in Brooklyn or they do it just because it's less money wasted?

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Does anyone notice that in the (4) schedule, the time that (3) trains still run, evening trains towards Utica are running local while trains towards Manhattan run express like normal? Is this because of unnecessary ridership for express service in Brooklyn or they do it just because it's less money wasted?

I would take a look at the schedule for the (2) and (5) as well. If the (4) is also running while the (3) is, that would mean that for a short stretch of time, the (2), (3), (4), and (5) are all sharing a short stretch of track east of Franklin Avenue. That can't be good.

Yep MTA put up we're going to be under Plan 5

The way the news and Cuomo put it, this could be the worst blizzard to hit NYC. IMO, I expect either the ENTIRE system or ALL elevated and open cut sections to be suspended after the storm takes place.

Edit: It looks like they are naming the storm Juno. This can't be good.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain