SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

We may see whether the flooding protection measures in lower manhattan will work or not.

http://www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-joaquin-atlantic-east-coast-2015

Yeap, Joaqin is coming and its path is unkown at this point.

We'll see what happens next in the meantime.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a 12 car R143 set in Carasie yard... or there was 12 143 cars parked on a track at Cararsie Yard.

One trainset was coupled together with the anti climbers down, while the 4 car set was parked near the bumper block. As I was leaving the station the T/O parked the two trainsets close to each other, IDK if he connected the two.

hehehe I joined the fight on twitter and got a response LA con't hold my savagery back now 

First of all, I hate the term "light rail". It's a bloody streetcar, or if you're British, a tram. LRT is just trying to come up with a new term for a word that doesn't need one. :rolleyes:

Second, what's wrong with the fact that they have streetcars? You can't have heavy trains running everywhere, that would be expensive and inefficient. ;)

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

First of all, I hate the term "light rail". It's a bloody streetcar, or if you're British, a tram. LRT is just trying to come up with a new term for a word that doesn't need one. :rolleyes:

Second, what's wrong with the fact that they have streetcars? You can't have heavy trains running everywhere, that would be expensive and inefficient. ;)

Doesn't really make a difference what you call it.  LACMTA only gets near 10% of population riding their combo of transit, with lots of concessions and $1.75 fare.  Not what you'd call inexpensive or efficient in my book.

That Twitter fight is pretty funny, though.  LAMetro trying to say more Dodgers fans will use them versus Mets fans using MTA is a real thigh-slapper.  And fish tacos?  I'll take NY pizza any day over that mess.

Doesn't really make a difference what you call it.  LACMTA only gets near 10% of population riding their combo of transit, with lots of concessions and $1.75 fare.  Not what you'd call inexpensive or efficient in my book.

What does the fare have to do with how expensive/inefficient something is to run? :huh:

They did a shutdown for Juno though

Yes, and there was MASSIVE blowback from shutting down during that snowstorm from what Cuomo reportedly ordered (even if Prendegast later said he ordered it, all the original reports had it from the Governor) in what appeared to actually be a politically motivated shutdown as apparently, Cuomo was concerned about upsetting suburban residents who are his primary voters.  

As said at the time, it would not have surprised me if Cuomo was privately scolded by Democratic Party Chairperson Deborah Wasserman Schultz over shutting the subways down because Wall Street got extremely PO'ed over that (David Faber on CNBC twice BLASTED Cuomo for shutting the subways down and more than a few on Wall Street blamed a 275 point loss on the Dow that day on many traders not being at their desks due to the subway shutdown (as even though that was lifted before trading opened, it was too late for many to be able to make arrangements for sitters and the like to get to work in time) as those who were there created an extremely volatile trading situation).  That likely was of major concern to Democrats as execs on Wall Street have very long memories and could still use that to fund Republicans in a number of House and Senate Races next year they would not have otherwise as that is the only way they can get legally back at Cuomo for that.   That's why later the MTA announced they would "explore" keeping the underground portions opened in a snowstorm.

Yes, and there was MASSIVE blowback from shutting down during that snowstorm from what Cuomo reportedly ordered (even if Prendegast later said he ordered it, all the original reports had it from the Governor) in what appeared to actually be a politically motivated shutdown as apparently, Cuomo was concerned about upsetting suburban residents who are his primary voters.

As said at the time, it would not have surprised me if Cuomo was privately scolded by Democratic Party Chairperson Deborah Wasserman Schultz over shutting the subways down because Wall Street got extremely PO'ed over that (David Faber on CNBC twice BLASTED Cuomo for shutting the subways down and more than a few on Wall Street blamed a 275 point loss on the Dow that day on many traders not being at their desks due to the subway shutdown (as even though that was lifted before trading opened, it was too late for many to be able to make arrangements for sitters and the like to get to work in time) as those who were there created an extremely volatile trading situation). That likely was of major concern to Democrats as execs on Wall Street have very long memories and could still use that to fund Republicans in a number of House and Senate Races next year they would not have otherwise as that is the only way they can get legally back at Cuomo for that. That's why later the MTA announced they would "explore" keeping the underground portions opened in a snowstorm.

They shut it down to prevent a repeat of 2010 Blizzard. When the hell did political played a part in this?

that's how you know your investment was shitty 

I strongly doubt that has anything to do with building streetcars instead of trains. In fact, if the exact same route was covered by heavy rail instead, it would be an even shittier investment, as heavy rail is much more expensive.

In Europe, tram systems flourish, so it definitely has nothing to do with the chosen mode of transport. It may have to do with the areas that the streetcar covers, or the fact that it's built in one of the most anti-transit countries in the world.

As said at the time, it would not have surprised me if Cuomo was privately scolded by Democratic Party Chairperson Deborah Wasserman Schultz over shutting the subways down because Wall Street got extremely PO'ed over that (David Faber on CNBC twice BLASTED Cuomo for shutting the subways down and more than a few on Wall Street blamed a 275 point loss on the Dow that day on many traders not being at their desks due to the subway shutdown (as even though that was lifted before trading opened, it was too late for many to be able to make arrangements for sitters and the like to get to work in time) as those who were there created an extremely volatile trading situation).  That likely was of major concern to Democrats as execs on Wall Street have very long memories and could still use that to fund Republicans in a number of House and Senate Races next year they would not have otherwise as that is the only way they can get legally back at Cuomo for that.   That's why later the MTA announced they would "explore" keeping the underground portions opened in a snowstorm.

Cuomo's idiotic shutdown for the blizzard was a dumb decision, but this is a ridiculous thesis with little bearing on reality. Nobody's switching party lines over a subway shutdown. 

Cuomo's idiotic shutdown for the blizzard was a dumb decision, but this is a ridiculous thesis with little bearing on reality. Nobody's switching party lines over a subway shutdown. 

I never said they were switching Party lines.  Many on Wall Street support the GOP to begin with and those who do likely have not forgotten what Cuomo did in 2010.  They often have very long memories and since they had no other legal recourse, the way they can get back at Cuomo is to support Republican candidates in races outside New York where it's close and can make the difference in whether the GOP retains control of the House and Senate after the 2016 Elections.  That is something that seems to be totally lost on this by most people except those whose job it is to loot at every possible angle.

Quite a few blamed that subway shutdown for a 275 point drop in the Dow that day that many felt would have been far less had the subways been running and most traders were at their desks.  David Faber BLASTED Cuomo for that shutdown TWICE on CNBC and I'm sure Cuomo was privately scolded by Democratic Party Leaders likely very concerned those on Wall Street who otherwise would never care about House and Senate races would now support whoever won GOP primaries in key races solely to get back at Cuomo, reminding him you never PO Wall Street like he did there and get away with it.

They shut it down to prevent a repeat of 2010 Blizzard. When the hell did political played a part in this?

That was not why at all.  The (MTA) had instituted new plans very shortly after the 2010 fiasco that worked flawlessly a few weeks later (early 2011) when ANOTHER big storm that dumped 19" of snow hit NYC hit.  There had been no problems in the underground sections with other big storms including 1983 (when a then-record 21" storm hit NYC), '93, '96 (another record storm), 2003 and others.

2010 was a "perfect storm" of circumstances.  When decisions had to be made for that weekend because of that Saturday being Christmas Day, and even when they would normally have been made that Friday (Christmas Eve Day) the forecast called for "maybe 1-3 inches" of snow.  That held into the early part of Christmas Eve night.  It was only after that late on Christmas Eve when that total was increased to 6-10", which was still manageable, but the problem was, many who normally would have had to make those decisions may have been unaware because of having to deal with family in particular as it was Christmas, and some relatives, especially those who were older and much more rigid than later generations would have frowned on such doing work then if they were not scheduled to.

Another problem was (at least where I was then), many local stations didn't have ANY local newscasts until 11:00 PM on Christmas Day in part because they didn't want crews coming into work until the day was for all intents and purposes over.  I remember this because on WCAU-TV (NBC10) in Philadelphia (where NONE of the local stations had newscasts other than late that day) for instance, their meteorologist Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz came in on his own on Christmas Day to provide special webcasts describing how that storm was exploding, by the middle of Christmas Day upped to 10-15 inches.  Because many stations didn't have regular newscasts that day, unless you were specifically following the storm there were no updates until 11:00 PM in many cases (this is something that was noticeably changed a year later when many local stations that didn't have newscasts on Christmas Day in 2010 did at all regularly scheduled times on Christmas Day in 2011).  The lack for some who usually made decisions of available media did not help matters either, and by the time Sunday rolled around they were having to play major catch-up. 

As I remember reading when the storm hit in 2010, there was a major reluctance to call anyone in because they didn't want to create potential blowback from relatives of many employees and other religious figures who would have frowned on such at that time (another thing that changed a lot after that storm).  That and everything else was why that storm created the problems it did, something the (MTA) had addressed with "Plan V" that came out following the 2010 blizzard.

That's why quite a few think what Cuomo did (as it widely reported over and over it was his decision to do that) was actually politically motivated (fear of upsetting suburban voters and not wanting such used in ad campaigns against Cuomo in 2018 for Governor and in 2020 or '24 for President) and why it was quite possible the DNC privately scolded Cuomo for doing so, especially given likely concerns in all likelihood on how it could affect 2016 races (especially if people on Wall Street were as PO'ed as it appeared following that shutdown and a subsequent big loss on the Dow that day and using that to get back at Cuomo in the only legal manner they could). 

On the other hand, shutting the subways down for a storm like Irene, Sandy and so forth where it's flooding RAIN and not snow has proven to be correct and SHOULD be done in that situation no matter who whines about it.

Edited by Wallyhorse

I wonder why the (5) never mentions that some trains go to Utica Av during the rush hours (map and board)

If you go to the (MTA) site and download the (5) schedule it's easy to see which trains go to terminals other than Flatbush Ave, like Utica Avenue or Bowling Green.. Those PDF schedules have been online for at least 10 years IIRC. Same thing with the (6) trains that terminate at 138th St-3rd Avenue. There's only so much room on a map or board anyway. Carry on.

So, I went to storage to get rid of some old stuff and I totally forgot I have this: (7) station sign with a ruler on the back

7%20train%20sign%20front_zpsyivlnvoy.jpg7%20train%20sign%20back_zpscijwl3yq.jpg Subway%20map_zpssjpx2ik8.jpgSubway%20service%20guide%201_zpsb3jhxpgfSubway%20service%20guide%202_zpsp4ekdybfSubway%20service%20guide%203_zpsjr7jqaz2

Subway map © 2004. I used to carry the subway map in school when I was in 4th or 5th grade.

The (V), (W), and original Nassau Street (M)... Man those were the good old days... Edited by TheNewYorkElevated