SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I believe it had something to do with graffiti, Javier.They used something on the 44s that corroded and they had to add the metal panels.They used something else on the 46s which didn't corrode...(I don't remember the entire story-someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Took the train today, a couple of observations:

- Someone removed one of the original Standard Medium black-on-white signs at 53 Street that read "Lutheran Medical Center (Sister Elizabeth)

- There are these weird orange spray paint marks every 5 or so feet on the yellow warning stripe of the Manhattan bound platform at Bay Ridge Avenue and a mark that reads "77 (triangle)" directly in front of the conductor board. Anyone know what their for?

- Someone removed one of the original Standard Medium black-on-white signs at 53 Street that read "Lutheran Medical Center (Sister Elizabeth)

Damn. Likely it was the MTA, not a random person however. The extremely old porcelain enamel hospital signs at the 1st Avenue (L) stop have also been removed. Those likely dated to the 1930s, and were up until earlier this year.

So the R44's and R46's used different body's which is why the R46 dosen't have that metal stripe like the R44's did?

I honestly don't know how to phrase this question :P

Also same as the redbirds , that's why they retired in 2003 , the acid baths used to remove the graffiti in the 1970s and early 80s and the very heavy service on the (2) , (4) , (5) ,(6) and even (7) took a toll on them.

Also same as the redbirds , that's why they retired in 2003 , the acid baths used to remove the graffiti in the 1970s and early 80s and the very heavy service on the (2) , (4) , (5) ,(6) and even (7) took a toll on them.

Not to mention corrosion from the body paint, I remember seeing shades of red on the roof of the trains.

- There are these weird orange spray paint marks every 5 or so feet on the yellow warning stripe of the Manhattan bound platform at Bay Ridge Avenue and a mark that reads "77 (triangle)" directly in front of the conductor board. Anyone know what their for?

I'll go out on a limb and assume that the orange paint has something to do with installation of rumble strips on the platform edge. The ADA requires them. Orange paint is commonly used to mark positions of measurements taken by surveyors and engineers. The Orange triangle is likely the origin of their survey or measurements. 

mta-rumble-strips.jpg

It might also be replacement of the platform slabs if they're in bad shape.

There's a capital program project to that effect:

I'll go out on a limb and assume that the orange paint has something to do with installation of rumble strips on the platform edge. The ADA requires them. Orange paint is commonly used to mark positions of measurements taken by surveyors and engineers. The Orange triangle is likely the origin of their survey or measurements. 

mta-rumble-strips.jpg

It might also be replacement of the platform slabs if they're in bad shape.

There's a capital program project to that effect:

Awesome!Ever since 86 Street got them I've been waiting for them to add them for the rest of the Bay Ridge stations...

RFW=railfan window, like when you look out of the r32's storm door on the first car as if you are driving a train

G.O.=general overhaul, like when a part of a line is suspended and needs to be repaired for the time being.

And welcome to the forums.

Welcome to the forum, RFW means Rail Fan Window-front or back view of the train which are and were normally found on the older train models (in retrospect there's no motorman cab in the way and a clear view of the tracks inside or outside.)

A G.O. means General Order, when a line is diverged to a certain track or subway route during time of contruction or maintenance work. For example, the (5) travels on the (2) in manhattan or the (1) running express btw 96th & 145th street instead of running its normal local route or when the (7) its cut btw 34th St hudson yards & queensboro plaza.

Another term is CBTC, Communication-Based Train Control is when the exact position of a train is known more accurately than with the traditional signaling systems. It makes use of the telecommunications between the train and track equipment for the traffic management and infrastructure control. The goal is having trains running "closer" together to reduce waiting times and heavy crowds on platforms during rush hours. This system is already implemented on the (L) and currently being installed on the (7), hence the G.O. term and eventually on the Queens Blvd line.

thanks guys!

Only the blue belly band was the only part affected on both the R44s & R46s since that wasn't stainless steel. After GOH, the R44s had the band painted gray (it was still carbon steel), and the R46s had it replaced with a stainless steel band.

The redbirds were just outright not stainless steel, so they whole bar body corroded away with the acid baths.

does anyone know if the NYC train in battlefield 3 was based off of a real train? It was an open cut that brought you from either queens or brooklyn (unspecified, but they set the location as Long Island, NYC) to midtown in just a few minutes.

Edited by YungMarxian

A little strange that right after the old Beth Israel sign disappears from the 1st Ave. station, this appears on eBay...

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BETH-ISRAEL-MEDICAL-CENTER-1ST-AVE-16-ST-NYC-SUBWAY-RARE-PORCELAIN-STATION-SIGN-/191755172850?hash=item2ca57fbbf2:g:g5AAAOSw7FRWZisL

Edited by MHV9218

I didn't want to double post in the Unplanned Service Change thread, and more people go here:

Due to a rail condition at Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av, the following service changes are in effect:

Northbound e.png and f.png trains are running local from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to Forest Hills-71 Av.

m.png trains are running between Middle Village-Metropolitan Av and Delancey Essex St then via j.png line to Chambers St in both directions.

Some northbound r.png trains are terminating at 57 St-7 Av.

Expect delays in northbound m.png and r.png train service.

Allow additional travel time.

I know this is a stupid question, but are there any signals at all in the tunnels between TSQ and GCT on the 42 (S)? The only ones I see are at Times Square and at Grand Central.

And how exactly does the train from track 3 manage to get to track 4 to go to maintenance if the shuttle doesn't have any track junctions between Track 3 and 4.

I know this is a stupid question, but are there any signals at all in the tunnels between TSQ and GCT on the 42 (S)? The only ones I see are at Times Square and at Grand Central.

And how exactly does the train from track 3 manage to get to track 4 to go to maintenance if the shuttle doesn't have any track junctions between Track 3 and 4.

1. Yes

2. Track 4 connects to the uptown 7 Av local track if you remove the metal floor plates over track 4. Track 3 connects to track 1 via a switch right outside Grand Central station (facing Times Sq).