SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Was at Broadway Junction a few minutes ago waiting on a J to Manhattan, saw a Queens bound R32 pull in whose front car rollsigns were set up as an N.

probably some kids screwing around.

r32 would never be assigned to the N, even temporarily, because the square-sided cars fail to clear the cables in the montague tubes, and in the event of a problem on the manny b it would be unable to be rerouted. 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a change of pace than what we usually see from the public relations people on these Twitter handles. As long as it stays polite and civil, I wouldn't see these kinds of responses from the MTA.

Shifting gears, I have a question regarding traffic-related delays. For the train crews, or anyone else in the know, what is the standard procedure for playing the "delayed by train traffic" announcement? Or rather, what is it supposed to be? Way too many times when the train stops for some reason, the conductor plays the announcement almost immediately. It's so common, I can actually clock the time from when the train stops to the announcement to around five seconds. Most times, the train starts moving again before the recording finishes. It's even worse when it's played several times in a few minutes, like I've noticed coming off the Manhattan Bridge Brooklyn-bound. All that does is annoy people even more.

what's funny about the "delayed by train traffic" message to me is the way its always interpreted - people hear "traffic" and think of it in the context of "stuck in traffic" and hear the message as "there is a train traffic jam in front of us" - when really it *should* just mean a train crossing in front, occupying the block. Traffic in the sense of "air traffic" - but since it's associated with a delay people think of it as shorthand for "traffic jam". 

Honestly, it's probably used too often. In my mind, It should be used when there's a train merging onto the track and the train will be delayed 40-90 seconds until the block clears up. 

The reality of the situation is, it's deployed just about whenever the train encouters a red signal - and if everything is running the way it should, trains really shouldn't encounter red automatic signals. Home signals, fine - but if I'm not mistaken trains are supposed to radio in if they encounter a red automatic - because they really shouldn't. 

When I'm commuting and we come to a stop anywhere other than a station or an interlocking - that's when I turn on the scanner to find out how bad it is - because there's universally something wrong. 

And with regard to the widely interpreted meaning of "train traffic" - yes, prior incidents or dramatic reroutes can cause train traffic jams - but the proper term for this would be "congestion". (perhaps someone can develop some kind of mass-transit mucinex)

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/news/n-america/single-view/view/hitachi-rail-usa-opens-assembly-plant-in-miami.html

Well well. A second Japanese builder enters the fray. The MTA board is not happy at the state of the so-called "competition" with the subway car builders the MTA usually swaps orders with. But with Chinese builders coming into the North American market and then this, the next decade could get very interesting.

probably some kids screwing around.

r32 would never be assigned to the N, even temporarily, because the square-sided cars fail to clear the cables in the montague tubes, and in the event of a problem on the manny b it would be unable to be rerouted. 

You mean now? Because I remember years ago (like 2004ish) there were plenty of R32s on the (R), and a few on the (N) IIRC. (I remember even seeing one on the (Q) and doing a double-take)

And with regard to the widely interpreted meaning of "train traffic" - yes, prior incidents or dramatic reroutes can cause train traffic jams - but the proper term for this would be "congestion". (perhaps someone can develop some kind of mass-transit mucinex)

Remember that the average person isn't a railfan. So "train traffic" is a general catch-all term that refers to the fact that we're delayed by the presence of other trains on the track.

Was at Broadway Junction a few minutes ago waiting on a J to Manhattan, saw a Queens bound R32 pull in whose front car rollsigns were set up as an N.

I've seen a full 8-car R32 signed up as a <J> Brighton/Nassau

Also why does the (L) line have 3/4 conductor boards with "R40/42" stickers on them when we all know an R42 or even R32 will NEVER be placed in (L) service.

I've seen a full 8-car R32 signed up as a <J> Brighton/Nassau

Also why does the (L) line have 3/4 conductor boards with "R40/42" stickers on them when we all know an R42 or even R32 will NEVER be placed in (L) service.

Before the 143/160s came along, the line was dominated by the R40/42s. They just never took the old boards.

You mean now? Because I remember years ago (like 2004ish) there were plenty of R32s on the (R), and a few on the (N) IIRC. (I remember even seeing one on the (Q) and doing a double-take)

Yeah, now. As I understand it, this is a restriction in place since the post-sandy montague rehab. There are cables or some such whathaveyou hung on the sides of the tunnel that restrict clearance, if I remember correctly. 

I wonder what was the reason that Briarwood-Van Wyck Blvd on the (E)(F) is now just Briarwood

When the station first opened up in the 1930's there was actually a Van Wyck Blvd. Now it doesn't exist anymore but the wall tiles were never changed. There are several stations that got its named changed but the tiles still reflect its old name.

Why do riders have an irrational fear of moving to the middle of the car? I see all these guys crammed like sardines in a can by the door and I got all this room in the middle. Also IDK what happened but this morning at 42nd Grand Central it sounded like the conductor was yelling at someone about a door or something. We were there for so long that the 5 train behind us caught up to us.

Edited by Steelix500

Why do riders have an irrational fear of moving to the middle of the car? I see all these guys crammed like sardines in a can by the door and I got all this room in the middle. Also IDK what happened but this morning at 42nd Grand Central it sounded like the conductor was yelling at someone about a door or something. We were there for so long that the 5 train behind us caught up to us.

My opinion, I think its because they want to get out of the train (or bus) quicker by standing near the door. But if people can say "excuse me" they will eventually get out of the train or bus. But yeah its really annoying when people cram near the door and there is a lot of space in the middle. I've actually missed a few trains because of that situation.

My opinion, I think its because they want to get out of the train (or bus) quicker by standing near the door. But if people can say "excuse me" they will eventually get out of the train or bus. But yeah its really annoying when people cram near the door and there is a lot of space in the middle. I've actually missed a few trains because of that situation.

Jesus, you just reminded me how much I hated taking the bus to high school back in 2011-2012. The Manhattan bound Bx03 and Bx36 are so bad for this exact reason! Buses takes forever to come, and by the time it does its crammed with people in the front. Can't even get on. Then when the thing drives by there's all this space in the back. So infuriating, it was usually better for me to walk across the Washington Bridge than wait for another one.

Edited by Steelix500

I usually stay away from the doors that are opening until a stop before I actually need to exit. The faster people exit, the faster others can board, and the faster the train can be on its way. The people who wait until the very last moment to get out of their bucket seat against the window slow down traffic for the people who are boarding the train. Ideally, people who are actually getting off should be crowded near the doors. Luckily, for the (N), the doors only open on one side until 14 Street–Union Square from 8 Avenue onwards, so I lean against the pair of doors that aren’t opening.

My personal favorite is the "take one step into the car and stop even though there are people behind you on the platform" 

As a personal policy, people standing in the doorway, if they are obstructions, get half an "excuse me" before shoulder check them back onto the platform. I'm 6'2". Inertia is usually on my side. Its for the greater good. 

Today I had a school field trip to Woolman Rink in Central Park. We were waiting for a downtown (F) Train at Roosevelt Island, but then we saw on the uptown platform a (M) Train! This was at 9:00 AM. When an (F) Train FINALLY arrives, it's packed like sardines. Luckily the next one comes soon and we get on. My friend said that dispatch sends some (M) trains during rush up 63rd. Is he correct and what is happening on QBL. 

Edited by Train92

Today I had a school field trip to Woolman Rink in Central Park. We were waiting for a downtown (F) Train at Roosevelt Island, but then we saw on the uptown platform a (M) Train! This was at 9:00 AM. When an (F) Train FINALLY arrives, it's packed like sardines. Luckily the next one comes soon and we get on. My friend said that dispatch sends some (M) trains during rush up 63rd. Is he correct and what is happening on QBL. 

I think it also helps the (E) since the (M) never interferes with the (E) if sent along 63 Street.

because dumb ass Manufacturers putting poles by the doors. R32's are probably the last best built, great crowd handling subway cars around. The poles are in the center of the cars, forcing people to move in. Edited by VIP