SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love those hauling sounds on the R46s whenever they're going at 45 and up miles per hour, you know through the 60th Street tube, Jamaica Bay crossing between Howard Beach and Broad Channel etc etc. Best I've ever heard.

Oh wow, I thought I was the only one! I really like the reving up and rumble of those General Electric 1257 Traction Motors on those R46's doing that overtime hitting 50+ on good stretches of track. About time someone brings this up.

The (C) does an excellent job of being the host of the R32s (same goes for the (E) until it started using R42s and then becoming 100% R160s later afterwards). I also feel it is one of those routes (next to the (G) and (R)) that the (MTA) seems to neglect with just 8-car trains than full-length 10-car trains, you know as if its a BMT Eastern Division route. The conductors purposely close up REGARDLESS of when they see people running and being right next to the 8-car marketer to board the train right away.

I'm alright with the (A) playing the role of the R44/46s, however I think it would look great with the R32s and R160s.

I'm alright with the (A) playing the role of the R44/46s, however I think it would look great with the R32s and R160s.

It would be. It's too bad that the R160's can't handle the different voltages of the IND Rockaway Line, (as the power there is supplied by LIPA not Con Edison according to what I know on this particular)  which resulted in the switch of that fleet to Jamaica Yard, CI and I believe ENY.

Edited by realizm

In case you guys didn't know, R160s were tested in the Rockaways and they passed compared when they were testing on various other lines and they failed. But I do think that if too many R160s are in the Rockaways at any given time then there could be an issue. Other than that one or two trains wouldn't do harm.

I saw one yesterday morning on the (F).

I had one today...

In case you guys didn't know, R160s were tested in the Rockaways and they passed compared when they were testing on various other lines and they failed. But I do think that if too many R160s are in the Rockaways at any given time then there could be an issue. Other than that one or two trains wouldn't do harm.

I thought that was an issue with LIPA's piece of shit electrical system.

It would be. It's too bad that the R160's can't handle the different voltages of the IND Rockaway Line, (as the power there is supplied by LIPA not Con Edison according to what I know on this particular)  which resulted in the switch of that fleet to Jamaica Yard, CI and I believe ENY.

I don't think it's different voltage, it was something else that had to do with LIPA.

That's an interesting point. I've heard that there was some sort of conflicts that are actually not technically based within the departments in charge of rolling stock and the different yards as to where the R160s should be stationed at but this is based on speculation. I have no official sources, no newspaper articles, no pdf presentations, or studies, nothing, other then what various discussions on this particular reveals within our network of transit enthusiast communities has taken place (Us people at NYCTF, SubChat, Second Ave Sagas and such) So what I am saying here is strictly speculation, maybe perhaps with a ring of truth for it after all, but we'll see as time passes and people within the MTA starts talking.

But the official prognosis (according to MTA officials) is that the R160s cannot run on the Rockaways for the aformentioned reasons due to the supply of power on those third rails to Mott Ave. and Rockaway Park/Beach 116. Guess we'll never really never know. But we do have the R179's in the works to replace the aging R46's and the rest of the R32's, as planned in the future MTA Capital Budget already planned for.

Edited by realizm

I don't think it's different voltage, it was something else that had to do with LIPA.

Good thing you brought it up, will have to research how Con Edison vs LIPA serves power to industrial and Mass Transit entities, I can get back to you on that unless you already know what the deal is. If you do know in detail already please share. This is an important aspect as to how the entire R160 order all in all was rolled out throughout all the train yard complexes in this system. Far Rock Depot gave a clue as well in the original discussion I can vaguely remember. I will have to find his post.

Edited by realizm

WHOA!!!!! Wow, I'm gonna need to open a new roll of paper towels to wipe up all the foam on my face!

That is correct, Cortlandt St station is now open, and you heard it first at SubwayTime.

I actually wasn't foaming, I rode the R62A (6) before.. I just was surprised..Typical railfan (lol)

No one heard me so i will say this again , (BTW This is in subway time)

GLITCH IN SYSTEM! CORTLAND ST is back in service on the  (1) Line?

Service Change

Cortlandt St

Uptown
1.png 137 St - City College 8 min   

Downtown
1.png Rector St 7 min   
1.png Rector St 10 min   
1.png Rector St 21 min   

1.png

Rector St

No one heard me so i will say this again , (BTW This is in subway time)

GLITCH IN SYSTEM! CORTLAND ST is back in service on the  (1) Line?

Service Change

Cortlandt St

Uptown
1.png 137 St - City College 8 min   

Downtown
1.png Rector St 7 min   
1.png Rector St 10 min   
1.png Rector St 21 min   

1.png

Rector St

DUDE, calm down!!!! Cortlandt Street is not open, SubwayTime for some reason displays it like it does South Ferry, it's a new app that NEEDS TO BE WORKED ON! Why they put Cortlandt in the app IDK, but it's there and the MTA just needs to fix that. Again, it's a BRAND NEW app and like every new app there's problems with it.

So did anybody have the opportunity to catch the R160 (D) that was running tonight? I missed working it by a single interval :(

Cortlandt St shows up because technically ATS considers it an open station in the scheduling. This is why it was very common for N/B (1) 's to get holding lights at Chambers St because the schedule expected it to make a Cortlandt St stop and suddenly the train is early.

Edited by Snowblock

So did anybody have the opportunity to catch the R160 (D) that was running tonight? I missed working it by a single interval :(

Cortlandt St shows up because technically ATS considers it an open station in the scheduling. This is why it was very common for N/B (1) 's to get holding lights at Chambers St because the schedule expected it to make a Cortlandt St stop and suddenly the train is early.

WHAT??????

Crap. I came home from work on the (4). Damn....

Close enough..... and I don't think there are enough trains for those extensions....

They might eventually do a (J) to 9 Av on the West End, though, right? At least I remember lurking on SubChat and some posters there bringing the idea up.

They might eventually do a (J) to 9 Av on the West End, though, right? At least I remember lurking on SubChat and some posters there bringing the idea up.

I always thought it was foaming imo. But survey says that if this ever happens in our lifetime, it's possibility that it could cut down crowding on the (R) and maybe even the (4)(5). Sounds like a cute idea, but in reality the (MTA) would of done it a long time ago and it just seems pretty.... well.... unlikely. If there were extra trains ordered.... maybe..... The people on subchat are just really thirsty for something brown of the West End line, I'm guessing. You decide because it just an opinion.... ^_^

Edited by Metro CSW