SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Flat wheels were from Seperations in jointed rail... When the gap between rails is big enough, The wheel gets wedged in there for a split second causing the wheel to get warped... At least thats what I heard.

I thought it was skidding (ie: during fall with leaves on tracks on Brighton line). Regardless, the Siemens propulsion R160B's are crap with those flatspots. Always at least one in every carriage of every damn set of those.

I thought it was skidding (ie: during fall with leaves on tracks on Brighton line).

Yep, you got it. The fallen leaves are one way to get flat wheels. Using the emergency brake and having bad brakes are two other causes. Generally, flat wheels form when the wheels lock up while the train is in motion, causing the wheels to drag/slide along the rail.

Edited by Gong Gahou

Well, that's a little hard to answer right now. When the 7 line announcements were recorded back in 2000 (the ones heard in the rare NTT announcements video on YT), they were as follows:

"This is a Queens-bound 7 express train. The next stop is..."

"This is a Flushing-Main St-bound 7 express train. The next stop is..."

That's how the 6-diamond announcements were until they were rerecorded back in 2007.

Of course, it has reported that the entire line has been redone recently to replace obsolete station names and incorrect transfers. We'll have to wait until the 188s start running on the 7 to find out.

Yep, you got it. The fallen leaves are one way to get flat wheels. Using the emergency brake and having bad brakes are two other causes. Generally, flat wheels form when the wheels lock up while the train is in motion, causing the wheels to drag/slide along the rail.

Or what the R160B Siemens sets call "regular stopping technique."

Can you tell I hate those Siemens sets with their flatspots?

Can someone tell how will be the <7> announcement on the R188?

The <6> says "making express in The Bronx".

Will the <7> say "making express stops in Queens"?

From What I've heard, Lance is right, thought going the other way its more confusing, since the announcements will simply say "This is a Manhattan bound (7) train" without local or express. I hope they fixed this...

Can someone tell how will be the <7> announcement on the R188?

The <6> says "making express in The Bronx".

Will the <7> say "making express stops in Queens"?

Since the (7) and <7> only have 3 stops in Manhattan, and there are no express tracks at any of them, I don't think it's required to specify "Making express stops in Queens"

The <6> runs local in Manhattan, where there are in fact express tracks, so simply referring to it as an express train would be confusing. I'd imagine simply differentiating between 7 express train and 7 local train would be sufficient. 

Well, that's a little hard to answer right now. When the 7 line announcements were recorded back in 2000 (the ones heard in the rare NTT announcements video on YT), they were as follows:

That's how the 6-diamond announcements were until they were rerecorded back in 2007.

Of course, it has reported that the entire line has been redone recently to replace obsolete station names and incorrect transfers. We'll have to wait until the 188s start running on the 7 to find out.

You couldn't have said it better even though the R188s might not have this is a queens bound (7) train making express stops in queens considering the (7) has only 8 stops in queens,but we'll see when the R188s begin revenue service in flushing.

Edited by R62AR33

Since the (7) and <7> only have 3 stops in Manhattan, and there are no express tracks at any of them, I don't think it's required to specify "Making express stops in Queens"

The <6> runs local in Manhattan, where there are in fact express tracks, so simply referring to it as an express train would be confusing. I'd imagine simply differentiating between 7 express train and 7 local train would be sufficient.

I think that's how the <7> would sound. This is a Queens/Flushing bound 7 express/local train. The next stop is...

Just like you said, there is no express service in Manhattan on the 7 compared to the Lexington Ave Line.

From What I've heard, Lance is right, thought going the other way its more confusing, since the announcements will simply say "This is a Manhattan bound (7) train" without local or express. I hope they fixed this...

The updated the announcements just a bit from the original ones. 

Saw Siemens 9003-9012 heading into Jamaica Yard from 71st/Continental this evening around 8:30pm.

Oh God no. Keep those clanking pieces of crap off the (F) line! Seriously, this isn't even a foamer thing. They're rather annoying to ride on the N with the loud knocking their absurdly large flatspots make on the rails.

Oh God no. Keep those clanking pieces of crap off the (F) line! Seriously, this isn't even a foamer thing. They're rather annoying to ride on the N with the loud knocking their absurdly large flatspots make on the rails.

There's not much of a difference between the R160 Alstom and Siemens, so if the siemens are crap then alstom is crap.

There's not much of a difference between the R160 Alstom and Siemens, so if the siemens are crap then alstom is crap.

In my experience on the (N), the Alstom propulsion sets are usually fine in terms of flatspots. Siemens propulsion sets usually have at least one (if not half the train) with flatspots. Maybe I just have bad luck with them.