SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A train is a train. I went the whole way from Bedford Park to Coney Island on the (D) last week before I even realized I was operating an R68A, until I saw the 5000 number plate when I was keying open doors. But I'm sure if half the people here happened to catch my train, they'd STILL be talking about it today!

I just like them better because they weren't bastard units upon arrival.

Additionally, when it comes to 68s vs 68As they, IMO, make up the only significant difference between car classes (i.e. there is no significant difference between a 62 and a 62A, because their respective yards keep the trains clean). For the most part, the bulkheads of the 68s are filthy, while the 68As are quite clean.

68:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?133522

68A:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?130960

Today, an R160 (R) train showed up and I rode it to Jay St.

I'm pretty sure the R generally gets one or two 160 sets. I've been on one at least 3 times. 

It must have been a gap train, seeing one of those is not too common nowadays (even though i've been seeing alot more R46 (F) trains during PM rush as of late...)

The F normally has some 46 sets assigned to it - these aren't per se gap trains....

The R62A (6) is normally always late, since the R62A's are slow compared to the R142A. I know once when I waited for it there was at 13 minute gap in service (at that time (6) s normally came every 2 minutes).

When the R62A goes express past Morrison-Soundveiw, it usually only reaches 42, the R142As can reach up to 49 in that spot, so they are definetly slower trains (just wait until the (7) is all NTT, it will be much faster!)

I don't think there will be any R62A (2) s out this weekend, remember the reason they went on the (2) in the first place was due to a 12-9 that happened an hour before the G.O. started, since (2) trains couldn't go down, all the (2) trains that went up got stuck in the bronx, and the (2) must have been short 4-5 trains (note that most of the (2)'s fleet last weekend was mostly (5) train cars).

Edited by 4P3607

The R62A (6) is normally always late, since the R62A's are slow compared to the R142A. I know once when I waited for it there was at 13 minute gap in service (at that time (6) s normally came every 2 minutes).

When the R62A goes express past Morrison-Soundveiw, it usually only reaches 42, the R142As can reach up to 49 in that spot, so they are definetly slower trains (just wait until the (7) is all NTT, it will be much faster!)

I don't think there will be any R62A (2) s out this weekend, remember the reason they went on the (2) in the first place was due to a 12-9 that happened an hour before the G.O. started, since (2) trains couldn't go down, all the (2) trains that went up got stuck in the bronx, and the (2) must have been short 4-5 trains (note that most of the (2)'s fleet last weekend was mostly (5) train cars).

There were a few 62As on the (2) today actually.

I got a bone to pick with (D) PM rush hour service. The headways are all effed up. Thurdsday it mus had took 20 min for a (D) to finally arrive @ 59th Street. Three (A) trains passed by, no (D). You can only imagine how finally when it arrived how I was contending with a crushloaded train full of irate straphangers because of the delays at rush hour.

I mean ppl have families, may be late for work, or they simply just got to get home asap so they can pee. They cant afford wo wait 20 minutes.

Same nonsense happened as I was commuting home from Chinatown yesterday @ Grand. 2 (B) trains, then an out of service R160. I was fuming. It really wasted alot of my time and I could'nt get home to my little kitten in time. And MAN was I tired, feet hurting and everything. What possibly could have happened to throw the sceduled arrival times out of whack like this?

This has been the abnorm for a good month now.

Edited by realizm

This isn't the headways, it's proabably something around DeKalb. That area of signals is always f'ed up somehow. Remember the (D) has to merge with the (N), then the (B) and run through midtown, so it is heavily prone to delays. Think of it this way, anything that happens to the (N)(Q)(R) and (B) affects you at Grand or 59th.