SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Lex said:

I just tried it.

Who the hell would use the (L) to dive between the (J) and (R) while heading from 111th Street (ambiguity means that the (A) could easily fit here) to Northern Boulevard?

All that like folks wouldn’t take buses, or ride to Jamaica and switch to (E) to (R) or (M) and enjoy the time savings.

11 hours ago, Deucey said:

Whomever it was that made Subwaydle knows nothing about the subway.

10 hours ago, Lex said:

I just tried it.

Who the hell would use the (L) to dive between the (J) and (R) while heading from 111th Street (ambiguity means that the (A) could easily fit here) to Northern Boulevard?

Also, there's no (J) this weekend between Jamaica Center & Crescent Street, so technically this trip can't even be made.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 2/19/2022 at 11:55 PM, trainfan22 said:

I know. I was talking about before the R160s came. Back then the R143s only ran on the (L) and the weekend (M) . The mixed (L) and (J) strip maps is a recent thing. I rode the (J) regularly in 03-05 and only R42s ran on the line. 

Oh my apologies, I misread what you said. 

The (E) has this weird G.O going on right now where trains operate normal to Roosevelt Ave and then over the (F) to Lexington Ave and then the (Q) to 34th street.

At night it runs local like normal from Jamaica Center to Queens Plaza and then over the (R) line to 34th street skipping 49th street.

My thing concerning late nights is wouldn’t it make sense to have the (R) run from Bay Ridge to Jamaica Center that way folks in lower Manhattan (even though local stops between Canal & Dekalb Ave are being skipping in the N/B direction) wouldn’t be forced to make additional transfers to complete their trip. 
The (R) overnight normally runs to Whitehall Street and the (E) normal serves WTC, so if the (R) was extended to Jamaica Center during this G.O at nights, it can mostly cover the loss of the (E) while still brining those along 4th Ave to and from Manhattan.  

13 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Somebody figure out who created Subwaydle and tell him/her to join this forum so stupid things like this don’t happen:

402-C2908-3687-413-E-9-F83-935-A9-CD70-F
FCDB11-D3-758-F-4-C09-B1-B1-44-F12-E5-A0

That's not the worst of it, I remember one of the travels were from 57 St-6 Av to 5 Av-53 St. This was during the weekday so the (M) was definitely an option, but they made you go from the (F) to Rockefeller to the (D) to 7 Av to transfer over to the (E). Like why? 

Hell just look at this:

2bcc5c9c2103b93562b6c745595d85da.png

35 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

That's not the worst of it, I remember one of the travels were from 57 St-6 Av to 5 Av-53 St. This was during the weekday so the (M) was definitely an option, but they made you go from the (F) to Rockefeller to the (D) to 7 Av to transfer over to the (E). Like why?

You could also just walk there.

37 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Hell just look at this:

2bcc5c9c2103b93562b6c745595d85da.png

So much time could be saved by not passing through Chelsea (or, for that matter, any part of Manhattan south of 96th Street), and that's if you insisted on using just the subway.

59 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Hell just look at this:

Bruh. I did that one and almost threw my phone.

If it were about finding the most absurd way to get somewhere, I’d “overstand”, but even with how redundant the subway is, no one’s ever a) gonna do it if they’re not fanning, and b) there’s too many ways to do it.

Someone just looked at the map and said “okay”. At least the ones using (SIR) made some sense.

10 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The (E) has this weird G.O going on right now where trains operate normal to Roosevelt Ave and then over the (F) to Lexington Ave and then the (Q) to 34th street.

At night it runs local like normal from Jamaica Center to Queens Plaza and then over the (R) line to 34th street skipping 49th street.

My thing concerning late nights is wouldn’t it make sense to have the (R) run from Bay Ridge to Jamaica Center that way folks in lower Manhattan (even though local stops between Canal & Dekalb Ave are being skipping in the N/B direction) wouldn’t be forced to make additional transfers to complete their trip. 
The (R) overnight normally runs to Whitehall Street and the (E) normal serves WTC, so if the (R) was extended to Jamaica Center during this G.O at nights, it can mostly cover the loss of the (E) while still brining those along 4th Ave to and from Manhattan.  

Queens Blvd all weekend was a crawling mess with flagging everywhere. Extending the (R) to Jamaica Center would have made it worse with all 3 lines running local. What they should have did was Make the (E) a shuttle between Jamaica Center and Forest Hills all weekend. The (E) was pointless this weekend with it running only to 34th st/Broadway.

The (R) to Jamaica Center last happened in 2001, After that they didn't do it no more since people whined about it.

10 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Queens Blvd all weekend was a crawling mess with flagging everywhere. Extending the (R) to Jamaica Center would have made it worse with all 3 lines running local. What they should have did was Make the (E) a shuttle between Jamaica Center and Forest Hills all weekend. The (E) was pointless this weekend with it running only to 34th st/Broadway.

The (R) to Jamaica Center last happened in 2001, After that they didn't do it no more since people whined about it.

A lot of it too was constant signal malfunctions.

In any case, if the (R) went to Jamaica Center, it would replace the (E) (in other words, it would have been just the (F) and the (R) ). That means less tph and reducing some of the congestion, as well as eliminating the delays at 71st Ave with the (R) terminating (and an (E) or (F) right behind it). It would have made better sense, especially since everything on Queens Boulevard was running local to begin with. 

As far as complaints go, what exactly did they complain about? Because besides the route in Manhattan, an (R) to Jamaica Center isn't that much different than an (E) running local in Queens. The (E) train this past weekend specifically, was more or less an (R) to Jamaica Center, which happened to end at Herald Square. 

12 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

No what I meant was overnights instead of having the (E) run between Jamaica Center & 34th street, just replace it with the (R) that would run from Jamaica Center to Bay Ridge. The (R) normally runs to Whitehall Street overnights and the (E) would normally run between Jamaica Center & WTC which isn’t too far from Whitehall Street. So to kill two birds with one stone sort of speak and avoid people having to make multiple transfers, just have the (R) late nights cover the (E) for as long as this G.O goes on. All the service is local anyways. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:
14 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

No what I meant was overnights instead of having the (E) run between Jamaica Center & 34th street, just replace it with the (R) that would run from Jamaica Center to Bay Ridge. The (R) normally runs to Whitehall Street overnights and the (E) would normally run between Jamaica Center & WTC which isn’t too far from Whitehall Street. So to kill two birds with one stone sort of speak and avoid people having to make multiple transfers, just have the (R) late nights cover the (E) for as long as this G.O goes on. All the service is local anyways. 

I have to agree with the (E) being pointless. With all of QBL running local, what's the point in keeping the (E) around during the G.O.? While I get that (E) crews don't want to have to deal with running the (R) during late nights, couldn't they have done something pretty much similar to what happened last year with the (C) to the Bronx? Maybe they could've done split (R) service. Actually I just realized something, how did the (R) run during late nights with Forest Hills bound trains running via Manhattan Bridge?

7 hours ago, Vulturious said:

f9340d29a58ec34f2c0cfdcc6a18bb21.png

You can literally just stay on the (D) until 161 St and transfer over to the (4) or even better, the (6) two stops up from Bleeker St to Union Square and also transfer to the (4)

It’s the most absurd subway-based game ever.

After my 3rd time doing it, I was confident it was some bored programmer and not @Wallyhorse who made it.

6 hours ago, Vulturious said:

I have to agree with the (E) being pointless. With all of QBL running local, what's the point in keeping the (E) around during the G.O.? While I get that (E) crews don't want to have to deal with running the (R) during late nights, couldn't they have done something pretty much similar to what happened last year with the (C) to the Bronx? Maybe they could've done split (R) service. Actually I just realized something, how did the (R) run during late nights with Forest Hills bound trains running via Manhattan Bridge?

I don’t know for sure but I wouldn’t be surprised if they had the (R) terminate at 36th street or Atlantic Ave. 

6 hours ago, Vulturious said:

They tend to terminate them at the SB express track at 59th Street as of lately. Usually that's when the local 4th Avenue track is also out, otherwise they operate to/from Atlantic (express north of 36th). 

Seems the MTA is finally pilot testing platform screen doors. They plan to test it on 3 subway stations: Times Square-42 on the (7) platform, 3rd Ave on the (L), and Sutphin Blvd-JFK on the (E)platform. https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2022/02/23/mta-to-launch-platform-barrier-pilot-program-at-3-stations

Edited by CyclonicTrainLookout

Just saw today's Subwaydle and I just laughed. "Travel from 14 St–Union Sq to Flatbush Av–Brooklyn College". I'm not doing 2 transfers i'm just taking the (5) straight there.

I also find it funny how it says "Aww, looks like you got lost on the subway..." when you don't get it right because you didn't choose the most out of the way route there is.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Just saw today's Subwaydle and I just laughed. "Travel from 14 St–Union Sq to Flatbush Av–Brooklyn College". I'm not doing 2 transfers i'm just taking the (5) straight there.

I also find it funny how it says "Aww, looks like you got lost on the subway..." when you don't get it right because you didn't choose the most out of the way route there is.

All these subwaydle complaints, i don't think it's supposed to be the most logical of routes, just any routes in the realm of possibility. It's more of a use your imagination thing. My own strategy is just figure out the train at the beginning and the end. 14 - Union Sq gives us the option of (N)(Q)(R)(W)(4)(5)(6)(L), while Flatbush Av gives the option of (2)(5). Once you figure out the 2 trains you need, you can guess what transfer those 2 trains have in common on two separate stations. Instead of treating the game like you're giving someone the best possible directions, treat it like an actual puzzle.