SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/4/2022 at 9:02 AM, darkstar8983 said:

The MTA should just print new schedules showing the true service frequencies. It’s frustrating that the published schedule is so different from what truly runs.

example:

the (L) now runs every 10 minutes all day, also does the (F). The (M) and (R) are now every 12 minutes all day. Trains are now super overcrowded not just because ridership is back to 50%+ of what it was in 2019, but because the trains only come half as often during rush hours.

and if this change is going to be for a long while it could be an opportunity to put some R46s out to pasture (even if it is into long term storage until ridership and the crews are up for running regular service again).

Example: some of The (L)‘s additional R143s/R160s apart from spares could be moved to the (J) along with some from the (M). This could temporarily move the R179s to the (C) and give some R46s a break. Same for the (F) and it’s R160s temporarily moving to the (N) to put some it’s R46s down and the (Q) could be 50/50 with R68/R46, while the (N) is 50/50 with R46/R160.

I am sure 90% of New Yorkers won't believe you when you tell them the subway system runs on a schedule

That being said, the MTA can't even deliver on the current 12 minutes frequency on most of the B Div routes, instead it comes every 15-20 minutes, and worse as it gets later

Not sure moving equipment around is going to get service out faster. We need more operating crews. I have always argue that weekday service should be scaled back slightly to boost weekend service back to acceptable levels

On 2/3/2022 at 10:53 AM, biGC323232 said:

New dark city...hopefully not...But i cant agree with u more...Our city has become a joke lately....Cops being shot,housing problems,subways resorting back to the 80s era,Its to the point the president is visiting NY....I been staying off the subways and off the streets lately...Just to much going on

I normally have no issue with homeless since that has been a daily sight on the (E) even before the pandemic. What I do have a problem with is the increasing amount of homeless/non homeless, smoking god knows what in the subways cars/in stations.

Nobody wants to smell cigarette/weed on their way to work/home. Find my self moving cars multiple times because of it.

16 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I am sure 90% of New Yorkers won't believe you when you tell them the subway system runs on a schedule

That being said, the MTA can't even deliver on the current 12 minutes frequency on most of the B Div routes, instead it comes every 15-20 minutes, and worse as it gets later

Not sure moving equipment around is going to get service out faster. We need more operating crews. I have always argue that weekday service should be scaled back slightly to boost weekend service back to acceptable levels

I normally have no issue with homeless since that has been a daily sight on the (E) even before the pandemic. What I do have a problem with is the increasing amount of homeless/non homeless, smoking god knows what in the subways cars/in stations.

Nobody wants to smell cigarette/weed on their way to work/home. Find my self moving cars multiple times because of it.

Wow...Smoking weed....LOL..Havent seen that yet but thats mainly cause ive stayed off the trains lately.....They taking the word legalizing weed to another lever....PPL nowadays have no respect for there elderly,fellow commuters or Law enforcements....

Edited by biGC323232

18 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Wow...Smoking weed....LOL..Havent seen that yet but thats mainly cause ive stayed off the trains lately.....They taking the word legalizing weed to another lever....PPL nowadays have no respect for there elderly,fellow commuters or Law enforcements....

Smoking weed is tame compared to what else is going on with the subways. I was on the (Q) a few weeks ago. Got came on and instantly the entire car smelled of the stuff. Guy wasn't even smoking. Was just rolling blunts. At least he was sane. Seems like every train I get on, with the exception of the (7), there are homeless and/or EDP. Took the (4) train the other day a few stops from Bowling Green to Barclay's Center. Filled with homeless in each car. Going through to get to Borough Hall, guy left his car to go do his business in between the train. Subway is no longer something to use from point A to point B. Everything but.

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

I’ve seen people smoke and roll up blunts on the train before. Shoot I’ve been on the n4 bus out in Nassau and I remember smelling weed. As I’m getting off the bus I noticed this dude rolling up a blunt and I just shook my head. I remember getting on either the (F) or (M) a few months back and this dude managed to hotbox the entire whole car. There might have been maybe 2 or 3 other people on the car but smoking on the platforms and on the train itself is becoming more common. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’ve seen people smoke and roll up blunts on the train before. Shoot I’ve been on the n4 bus out in Nassau and I remember smelling weed. As I’m getting off the bus I noticed this dude rolling up a blunt and I just shook my head. I remember getting on either the (F) or (M) a few months back and this dude managed to hotbox the entire whole car. There might have been maybe 2 or 3 other people on the car but smoking on the platforms and on the train itself is becoming more common. 

Im not knocking it in todays world...Ive seen a few times ppl rolling up on trains and platforms...lol..HOTBOX..I mean dam...We is all this confidence coming from to smoke out a subway car...

7 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The pot issue is bigger than the MTA, it stinks of weed everywhere in NYC, especially in the summer. Even fancy apartment building hallways stink of it constantly, and there's little anyone can do about it since it is decriminalized.

I'm of the opinion that cigarette smokers have been shamed for so long that they actively avoid smoking around other people - pot smokers on the other hand are a bunch of arrogant pricks who do not think "No Smoking" applies to them.

Just now, YankeesPwnMets said:

I'm of the opinion that cigarette smokers have been shamed for so long that they actively avoid smoking around other people - pot smokers on the other hand are a bunch of arrogant pricks who do not think "No Smoking" applies to them.

100% agree. If you want that high so badly, eat some edibles that don't smell like dead skunk. Incidentally, edibles tend to have very high THC content anyway, so it can be more effective than smoking to get high

1 hour ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

And people who vape as well. They don't think any rules apply to them either

7 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The pot issue is bigger than the MTA, it stinks of weed everywhere in NYC, especially in the summer. Even fancy apartment building hallways stink of it constantly, and there's little anyone can do about it since it is decriminalized.

I agree. Walked out of my office building the last time I worked there and came out and was like where is that smell coming from? Strong as hell and no one around me. Hell they even light up right in the parks now in the City. All thanks to big bird.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I agree. Walked out of my office building the last time I worked there and came out and was like where is that smell coming from? Strong as hell and no one around me. Hell they even light up right in the parks now in the City. All thanks to big bird.

It’s only going to get worst and worst. It’s sad because I see a lot more teenagers openly smoking and little do they know what long term smoking can do to their lungs and mind over time. Not saying that teens didn’t do it before but now with it being legal to smoke it gives more the reason for them to try it and turn into little potheads. 

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I was in Astoria earlier and man, these R46’s were the worst possible decision TA ever did to the (N). Trains leaving the terminal as a (R), a mix between (N) and (W), an (E), etc.

Thankfully we have the clocks to tell us what train is which otherwise we’d never know.

Maybe I’m part of the minority but I believe the MTA should have never removed the roll signs off of the R46’s. A decent amount of them don’t work properly and that’s probably because they were never meant to be used for over 3 decades.

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I was in Astoria earlier and man, these R46’s were the worst possible decision TA ever did to the (N). Trains leaving the terminal as a (R), a mix between (N) and (W), an (E), etc.

Thankfully we have the clocks to tell us what train is which otherwise we’d never know.

Well I tried to tell everyone but clearly you all seem to be happy with this Astoria - R46 decision.

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It’s only going to get worst and worst. It’s sad because I see a lot more teenagers openly smoking and little do they know what long term smoking can do to their lungs and mind over time. Not saying that teens didn’t do it before but now with it being legal to smoke it gives more the reason for them to try it and turn into little potheads. 

That and vaping as well. I mean I wasn't an angel as a teenager either, but some of these kids are doing serious damage to their lungs. Oh well.

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Maybe I’m part of the minority but I believe the MTA should have never removed the roll signs off of the R46’s. A decent amount of them don’t work properly and that’s probably because they were never meant to be used for over 3 decades.

Well, in thought, recently, the R68/As have scrambled destinations top to bottom. You can see a 68/A on the (N) or (W) with two routes in between the letter placement leaving a black background. That's in-use from rotation with the (B) and (Q) (the R68/As are on all routes out of C.I Yard). During weekends, R68/As tend to appear more often than the R46s. 

However, during the rush hours, there is platform patrol that TA crews check and let passengers know which train is departing as what arriving at Ditmars Blvd. 

Edited by Calvin

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I mean to be fair, you can probably board any Astoria train and it will not have any opportunity to change track until well into Midtown. It won't go on the  (7) anytime soon, so most passengers will not be affected

16 hours ago, Joyjliradio said:

My thought about nyc subway now, I don’t feel not safe with crime  I thought nyc subway need shout down forever because not safe and I see no one riding the subway now, what do you think about this.

I mean if you dont feel safe dont ride them...Whos forcing you to ride the subway.....There's other ways of getting around and yes there ppl riding them..Unless planet earth blows up itself the Subway will never perminantly shut down

12 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

I mean if you dont feel safe dont ride them...Whos forcing you to ride the subway.....There's other ways of getting around and yes there ppl riding them..Unless planet earth blows up itself the Subway will never perminantly shut down

Really,  u don’t want ride the subway forever i love NYCT subway train