SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

The Cuomo wraps are starting to fade away more you look into. Noticed today on the (R) : 9203-9207, 9205 has it disappeared on the outside on one of the sides. However, all 4 out  of 5 cars still have it in tact. 

I was literally just in that set like 30 minutes ago didn’t even notice, I was just glad that the (R) train came in a minute after getting off the s53 instead of the normal 12-20+ minutes I have to wait after getting off the S53/79/93 lol.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Frankly, I'd like to see NYCT undo all the shenanigans with those cars, that were forced on them by Andy Boy.

Byford did not go for the "Cuomoization" of the R160s. That was all "Prince" Andrew's idea, as well as other proposals such as:

1. Accelerating Queens Blvd CBTC prior to R211 delivery (meaning swapping Coney Island R160s for Jamaica R46s) 

2. Swapping around the order of corridors slated to get CBTC (Byford wanted 8th Av, Fulton, Astoria, Crosstown, then Queens Blvd East). Cuomo wants 8 Av, 6 Av, Crosstown, Fulton, Queens Blvd East, Lexington. 

3. Enhanced Station initiative was slated for (7) line local stops east of 46 St, and Queens Blvd Stops at Northern Blvd, Parsons Blvd, and I think 67 Av (but cancelled due to lack of funding for the program and cost overruns on some stations (looking at Astoria Line Stations with judgmental eyes)). 

Now lets see where that has left us (Cuomo's plan)

1. Reliability has not improved on any Queens Blvd Lines due to the lack of CBTC outside the Queens corridor, meaning that the (E)(F)(M)(R) are subjected to obsolete block systems and outdated interlocking in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and the issues they carry. 

2. There IS more standing room on the modified R160s, but prior to COVID19, the impact was diminished because the original plan was for the overhauled R160s to run only on the (E) due to crowding on the line, but these sets have seen more service on the (F) and (R) than the (E) (and has even done a few stints on the (N)). The 8-car modified set was supposed to run on the (L) to address crowding (again, not much of an impact on addressing crowding since it is only ONE 8-car train), but this set has seen more service on the (J) than anything else. The main point is that if you're going to install improvements, you have to be consistent and should have just done all the R160s at that point (or at least all the (L)'s R143s / R160s if they didn't want to retrofit 1662 cars.)

3. ESI did make mainly cosmetic improvements to most stations, mainly half-assed, but the Astoria Stations got FULL overhauls. NEITHER the underground ESI stations or the Astoria stations got elevators aside from Astoria Blvd. Considering the budget and plan to improve the system, you'd think all the ESI stations would have gotten elevators or at least ADA accessible ramps. Hopefully the plan to have accessible stations NO MORE than 2 stations away from anyone's destination is still on the table.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:31 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Thanks! Any specific reason for the upgrade? I only saw upgrades to the advertisement system, and the MTA isn't exactly great at selling ads lol

On 3/10/2022 at 4:49 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Since they can scroll through ads, it'll probably mean more revenue in the long run.

The screens in some stations also do this, although I wish they also showed real time information too (or more often). Its annoying to have to look for a countdown clock, which are not very convenient to locate. 

Idk about the in-train ones, but the station ones are actually paid for by an ad agency, not the MTA, so the fact that they show more ads than info is a feature, not a bug.

35 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Random thought; why doesn't the Franklin (S) use both outer tracks based on the direction of the rush? For example, use the uptown platform during the AM rush and the downtown platform during the PM rush.

Probably because it’s much simpler and more understandable for Passengers if the (S) stops in one location. People don’t wanna miss their train because they were on the wrong platform for that time period.

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Idk about the in-train ones, but the station ones are actually paid for by an ad agency, not the MTA, so the fact that they show more ads than info is a feature, not a bug.

That's correct. That's essentially the agreement that the (MTA) has to go along with. I believe Sarah Meyer discussed this a while back when riders complained about how many ads the screens show. They don't have enough money to buy those just to show real-time info. They're nice to have if you're phone dies or something, or you can't get cell service below, but otherwise, it's not the end of the world. 

33 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Probably because it’s much simpler and more understandable for Passengers if the (S) stops in one location. People don’t wanna miss their train because they were on the wrong platform for that time period.

The track infrastructure also isn’t there, though there are no structures precluding such infrastructure.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:55 PM, VIP said:

Quite frankly the “Cuomo” wraps should just be removed entirely. Cuomo isn’t governor and the TA should either put the end seats back or add the looped stanchions to those sets. 

On 3/11/2022 at 10:15 PM, R10 2952 said:

Frankly, I'd like to see NYCT undo all the shenanigans with those cars, that were forced on them by Andy Boy.

lmao i was underwhelmed by them was waiting for them to paint his face on there ala thomas the tank engine

On 3/12/2022 at 6:39 PM, darkstar8983 said:

Byford did not go for the "Cuomoization" of the R160s. That was all "Prince" Andrew's idea, as well as other proposals such as:

1. Accelerating Queens Blvd CBTC prior to R211 delivery (meaning swapping Coney Island R160s for Jamaica R46s) 

2. Swapping around the order of corridors slated to get CBTC (Byford wanted 8th Av, Fulton, Astoria, Crosstown, then Queens Blvd East). Cuomo wants 8 Av, 6 Av, Crosstown, Fulton, Queens Blvd East, Lexington. 

3. Enhanced Station initiative was slated for (7) line local stops east of 46 St, and Queens Blvd Stops at Northern Blvd, Parsons Blvd, and I think 67 Av (but cancelled due to lack of funding for the program and cost overruns on some stations (looking at Astoria Line Stations with judgmental eyes)). 

Now lets see where that has left us (Cuomo's plan)

1. Reliability has not improved on any Queens Blvd Lines due to the lack of CBTC outside the Queens corridor, meaning that the (E)(F)(M)(R) are subjected to obsolete block systems and outdated interlocking in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and the issues they carry. 

2. There IS more standing room on the modified R160s, but prior to COVID19, the impact was diminished because the original plan was for the overhauled R160s to run only on the (E) due to crowding on the line, but these sets have seen more service on the (F) and (R) than the (E) (and has even done a few stints on the (N)). The 8-car modified set was supposed to run on the (L) to address crowding (again, not much of an impact on addressing crowding since it is only ONE 8-car train), but this set has seen more service on the (J) than anything else. The main point is that if you're going to install improvements, you have to be consistent and should have just done all the R160s at that point (or at least all the (L)'s R143s / R160s if they didn't want to retrofit 1662 cars.)

3. ESI did make mainly cosmetic improvements to most stations, mainly half-assed, but the Astoria Stations got FULL overhauls. NEITHER the underground ESI stations or the Astoria stations got elevators aside from Astoria Blvd. Considering the budget and plan to improve the system, you'd think all the ESI stations would have gotten elevators or at least ADA accessible ramps. Hopefully the plan to have accessible stations NO MORE than 2 stations away from anyone's destination is still on the table.

In fairness, moving 6th Ave to a higher priority will allow Transit to resume having the flexibility to reroute 6th Ave trains via the 8th Ave Line sooner rather than later. If 6th was kept further down on the list, then 6th riders would be screwed if the old signals shit themselves, like they did at West 4th St just a few days ago. 

Unfortunately, CBTC on QBL is still shitting the bed and messing up service on the (E)(F)(M) and (R). But yes, there are plenty of incidents with the old wayside block signals outside of CBTC territory. Unfortunately, since the QBL services don’t operate in isolation, it has to be this way until every segment of the B Division gets CBTC.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

5 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

The (SF) only utilizes the N/B local track at Prospect Park because, as you pointed out, it’s easier for all involved. Back in the ancient times both local tracks were used for the Franklin-Brighton line. After that service was ended and just shuttle service became the normal route the S/B track was used at first. The problem was that that train had to relay south of the station and blocked service in both directions between Parkside and Prospect Park when crossing over to the N/B local track. There’s never been a diamond crossover north of the station connecting the two shuttle tracks that I know of. That was my home station for many years and I have ridden S/B trains that creeped into the station on the S/B local track. I’m not sure if the posted speed was 5 or 10 mph but it definitely wasn’t higher. I’m sure they never considered reconstructing the trackage entering that area because the walls are original concrete pillars that were built long before today’s trackage between Seventh Avenue and Prospect Park were built. My take. Carry on.

20 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I’m not sure if the posted speed was 5 or 10 mph but it definitely wasn’t higher. I’m sure they never considered reconstructing the trackage entering that area because the walls are original concrete pillars that were built long before today’s trackage between Seventh Avenue and Prospect Park were built. My take. Carry on.

IIRC that SB track is one of the sharpest curves in the B division and was also the site of the Malbone Street wreck, the deadliest accident in NYC transit history. Not sure if the 6 mph speed limit still stands though.

25 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

IIRC that SB track is one of the sharpest curves in the B division and was also the site of the Malbone Street wreck, the deadliest accident in NYC transit history. Not sure if the 6 mph speed limit still stands though.

You’re correct. I remember an R32(?) consist that derailed at the same spot as the Malbone incident. It’s very dangerous traversing that trackage. 👌🏾

7 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Seems that the paper (Q) was brought back in image at least last week. It was on an R68 and it has a capital Q in a big marker size. 

Didn't some vandals steal the rollsigns out of an R68 layed up at City Hall? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have any spare rollsigns. They could always take an rollsign out of an retired R46 and put it in the R68.

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Didn't some vandals steal the rollsigns out of an R68 laid up at City Hall? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have any spare rollsigns. They could always take an rollsign out of an retired R46 and put it in the R68.

The 68 uses vertical route rollsigns for the front, back and side while the 46 uses horizontal route rollsigns for the front and back. I guess they have to craft one at the sign shop or get one from the older 68 vertical rollsigns.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

Seems that the paper (Q) was brought back in image at least last week. It was on an R68 and it has a capital Q in a big marker size. 

This is giving me R32 Q vibes when the route flipdot broke and they had to use a piece of paper taped on it labeled as "Q"

4 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

The 68 uses vertical route rollsigns for the front, back and side while the 46 uses horizontal route rollsigns for the front and back. I guess they have to craft one at the sign shop or get one from the older 68 vertical rollsigns.

CIY has spares, although they can make new signs at 207 St Shop

9 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Did not know that, thanks for the info!

Totally random but ever since some personal things happened, my perception and taste in the subway fleet changed a little bit. I’ve been daydreaming about the subway my whole life as a coping mechanism to handle boring moments in my day. Also because randomly thinking about it puts me in a good mood. However, I find myself daydreaming about two fictional lines I made up like 15 years ago instead of most of the lines that exists in real life. Also R46’s are my primary favorite cars but I find myself daydreaming about the R160’s more (even if they make a lot of noise when they break) I love the Alstom Propulsion the most. I can’t help it. I use to love the Siemens Propulsion but now I’m numb to it. But I’m not complaining. The only thing I wish I still had was enough motivation to take out my camera while I’m on the subway and fan on a normal day. Especially on a R46. The 211’s are gonna be in service soon so I gotta stop being lazy and record some 46’s before they start retiring lol. That’s all

Edited by VIA 7 AV
My experience on the subway as a railfan changed a bit

When the hell did they extend the (7) night suspension between Queensboro Plaza & Hudson Yards? I was so glad because it initially was was slated to go on until next week (March 25th), but now they extended the damn thing almost an extra month, up til April 14th! The QBL sucks donkey balls at night, trains crrrrawlllll at night because of flagging or workers cleaning the tracks, it's insane. I always end up missing buses and having to walk from the subway station because of that nonsense. <_<

Last night for example, I unfortunately missed the Q32, so I went to the 5th Avenue - 53rd Street station to catch the train. The (E) , (F) , AND (N) train arrivals weren't showing up towards Queens on the MTA website, so I went to the (E) first. Well turns out the thing was a whopping 26 minutes away, so I risk it and hoof it to the (N) . It came in like minutes after I arrived at the station, so I took that, to the (7), and got off at 74th Street and waited almost 20 minutes for the Q53, and caught the Q11 at Hoffman Drive. Had I waited for the (E) instead, I would have likely missed the Q11, since it was due to arrive Roosevelt at 2:08 AM, and at that time of night, the Q11 departs Hoffman every hour at :15. 

They've been doing this also for at least one day out of many weeks before this prolonged outage started (on February 22nd), and they a similar month long outage back in October of last year. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven