SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reading there were two severe passenger accidents today in the subway system as per sources from subchat confirmed by RTO personel, one of them a 12-9.

Link: https://twitter.com/NYScanner/status/374298194165116929

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1245352

Link: https://twitter.com/NYCFireWire/status/375705422583566336

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1245878

Pic is not exactly graphic but it depicts the man trapped under the train @ Broadway Junction, luckily still alive and apparently unconscious but not seriously injured:

http://instagram.com/p/d5BOcDqmEZ/#   (Credits to Gold_12th and lazarusproject) 

Keep in mind there was a man who jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge earlier this week but he survived. (Amazingly and very fortunately) 

An apparent sudden trend of suicide attempts. So starts the rough month of September......

Edited by realizm

With many SMEES and old subway cars being scrapped lately, I have some questions:

• What’s the deal with R16s 6305 and 6339 at Coney Island Yard? They’ve been at CIY for many years. What is, or were, their purpose? Are they preserved? Spare parts for 6387 or other SMEES? Are they heading for scrap eventually?

• What’s the status of R27 8145? I know it’s been preserved for the Transit Museum since 2011. Has any work or cleanup been done recently?

• I wonder when the folks at CCY will move the R40M cars from the far back of the yard. I walked along Bedford Park Blvd yesterday evening and could see how there are plants or weeds starting to grow mid-body around the cars. If it’s being preserved, why not move them in with the preserved Redbirds that were moved there recently?

• Not long ago I took pictures of some of the preserved cars at 207 Street Yard and other places. I saw R22 Garbage Motor 7486 and it’s been stripped of everything – it’s merely a car body shell now. But it’s been moved about the 215th Street side of the yard for several months, now sitting with the R143 B cars 8278-79. Same as the R17/21 work motor pair at CCY, they’ve been on the same track for more than a decade and they were stripped of some parts years ago in preparation for scrap. Question is, are they really planning on scrapping these three cars, or are there some plans for the cars later on? With their poor conditions, I’d figured they’d be gone by now with many other cars being scrapped before them. The R21 at CCY’s got large plants and shrubs reaching car height now.

• What’s the status on the R110A set that was being converted into new Pump Cars? Has there been progress since February? What of the other set at 239th Street Yard? Will one car be preserved? Will a R110B car be saved?

Thanks in advance for any responses. And my apologies for asking so many questions!

- MF '86

<4>

I'm reading there were two severe passenger accidents today in the subway system as per sources from subchat confirmed by RTO personel, one of them a 12-9.

Link: https://twitter.com/NYScanner/status/374298194165116929

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1245352

Link: https://twitter.com/NYCFireWire/status/375705422583566336

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1245878

Pic is not exactly graphic but it depicts the man trapped under the train @ Broadway Junction, luckily still alive and apparently unconscious but not seriously injured:

http://instagram.com/p/d5BOcDqmEZ/#   (Credits to Gold_12th and lazarusproject) 

Keep in mind there was a man who jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge earlier this week but he survived. (Amazingly and very fortunately) 

An apparent sudden trend of suicide attempts. So starts the rough month of September......

Typo. One of the incidents happened on Sunday. That's what happens on the days I hit and run post. Disregard the error.

The R32 I had on the C today was bad news... Brakes wouldn't release leaving each station, T/O eventually had to start semi-throwing them just the get them off. Applying the brakes was just as bad, had to get close to full service just for any slowing and even with full application the train would keep lurching along with the brakes coming on and off. Was honestly surprised it stayed in service, messed up brakes are an accident waiting to happen.

I'm very surprised at the intervals of the (2), (3) and (5) on weekends. Two out of those three routes run every 12 minutes while one runs every 10-15 minutes. The (A) and (E) aren't that bad though, due to a train every 7-9 minutes on Saturdays only.

However, IMO all 2345ACDEFGJMNQR run every 10 minutes on Saturdays and Sundays because that way the intervals match since those lines are not isolated. For the isolated lines, the (1) and (6) can stay at their 8 minute intervals while the (7) and (L) can stay at their five minute intervals on Saturdays and Sundays.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

The R32 I had on the C today was bad news... Brakes wouldn't release leaving each station, T/O eventually had to start semi-throwing them just the get them off. Applying the brakes was just as bad, had to get close to full service just for any slowing and even with full application the train would keep lurching along with the brakes coming on and off. Was honestly surprised it stayed in service, messed up brakes are an accident waiting to happen.

207th St needs to just give em up already, they're abusing the damn cars now, it seems like they're abusing the cars so they can get those R160s from ENY, the R32s they sent to ENY this past week have horrible brakes

I think the (MTA) should use the BMT city hall lower level as another branch of the transit museum. It would be at a convenient location, space for museum cars to be kept so they can be kept our of yards; the non electrified track can be used to display work trains. One B division track one A and work

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I think the (MTA) should use the BMT city hall lower level as another branch of the transit museum. It would be at a convenient location, space for museum cars to be kept so they can be kept our of yards; the non electrified track can be used to display work trains. One B division track one A and work

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

They use the lower level to lay up trains

I have two questions:

1. Did the (1)/(9) have short turns during skip stop service?

2. What does the black T in the inside of an outline of a red circle mean. It's on the side of the track where the train operators would look for conductor boards.

If anyone can answer my questions can you please respond,

Thanks

I have two questions:

1. Did the (1)/(9) have short turns during skip stop service?

2. What does the black T in the inside of an outline of a red circle mean. It's on the side of the track where the train operators would look for conductor boards.

If anyone can answer my questions can you please respond,

Thanks

Not sure about the 1/9 but I believe the sign you described indicated a telephone location, should the crew need to call control, in the event of a radio failure or perhaps in the pre-radio days

In 2005 during the last iteration of the 1/9, there actually weren't any short turns scheduled at 137, but many more trains started or finished at 238 for direct yard access.

Remember that unlike the J/Z, the 1/9 ran skip stop in BOTH directions during AM and PM rush.

Edited by Snowblock

So my trip to New York got pushed back to either March break next year, or in the summer. While I do not blame my parents for this, it does put me in an akward situation, given how two of the sights I wish to see (R42s and R62As on the (7)) are very time related topics.

So I have to ask... what is the latest on the R188s? Is there a new "expected" service entry date? And how about the R42s:

Is the MTA planning to retire them soon or keep them until the 179s come in? If it's the former, any museum cars?

Oh, and what's the latest on SF loop? Still closed for the next 3 years, or will they try to get it back sooner?

Thanks!

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

So my trip to New York got pushed back to either March break next year, or in the summer. While I do not blame my parents for this, it does put me in an akward situation, given how two of the sights I wish to see (R42s and R62As on the (7)) are very time related topics.

So I have to ask... what is the latest on the R188s? Is there a new "expected" service entry date? And how about the R42s:

Is the MTA planning to retire them soon or keep them until the 179s come in? If it's the former, any museum cars?

Oh, and what's the latest on SF loop? Still closed for the next 3 years, or will they try to get it back sooner?

Thanks!

The R188's don't have a exact date for their official passenger debut, but the one set in training might go in service after the opening of the (7) extension. The R42's are still here on the (J) and (Z) lines. The R179's are planned to come in 2015 and the South Ferry loop is the one that's open. The new South Ferry station is still closed until maybe 2015.

The R188's don't have a exact date for their official passenger debut, but the one set in training might go in service after the opening of the (7) extension. The R42's are still here on the (J) and (Z) lines. The R179's are planned to come in 2015 and the South Ferry loop is the one that's open. The new South Ferry station is still closed until maybe 2015.

I know that the R42s are still there, but with all the speculation crap about what will happen to them I'm not sure what to expect now. Has their condition worsened since last year?

As for the South Ferry - yes I know the loop is the one that is open, misspoke on that one, lol.

I know that the R42s are still there, but with all the speculation crap about what will happen to them I'm not sure what to expect now. Has their condition worsened since last year?

As for the South Ferry - yes I know the loop is the one that is open, misspoke on that one, lol.

4572 – 4573 the cars that were in the movie The French Connection are going to be preserved for the transit museum.

I know that the R42s are still there, but with all the speculation crap about what will happen to them I'm not sure what to expect now.

I cannot understand why some of the other users keep suggesting that the 48/400 remaining R42 cars to be retired. I mean I don't really see the (C) spares being cut down from 10 to 5 trains. They also keep forgetting this will create a car shortage for the (J) line. I don't know how many total of trains the (J) has, maybe 26-27 like the (C) (?). I think if scrapping the R42s was the clear solution, they would have done it already.

They'll always stay on the (J) until the R179s replace them. Ignore that speculation bull thats always brought up.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

9413 on the (N) today!

it seems like the (N)/(Q) use the Jamaica cars more than the (R)... Yet a CI set hasnt appeared on the (R)(E) or (F)

I cannot understand why some of the other users keep suggesting that the 48/400 remaining R42 cars to be retired. I mean I don't really see the (C) spares being cut down from 10 to 5 trains. They also keep forgetting this will create a car shortage for the (J) line. I don't know how many total of trains the (J) has, maybe 26-27 like the (C) (?). I think if scrapping the R42s was the clear solution, they would have done it already.

They'll always stay on the (J) until the R179s replace them. Ignore that speculation bull thats always brought up.

the R42s aint going nowhere, what sms does the cars need other than a pain job? They run just as well as R32's plus after the ©/(J) swap, the R42s will revert back to being stored until rush hours.

207th St needs to just give em up already, they're abusing the damn cars now, it seems like they're abusing the cars so they can get those R160s from ENY, the R32s they sent to ENY this past week have horrible brakes

at least 207 Street doesnt put dead cars in the middle of a consist like Jamaica did... Lol plus if they are neglecting the R32s what makes you think they are going to be up to par with the R160A1s (that already look like crap)

Now expected to go into service sometime next week. Most of the (7) crews are qualified now, and the rest have been ordered to schedule a training session ASAP.

R42's won't be going anywhere until the R179's replace them. So we're looking at least 2 years before they're gone for good.