SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Now expected to go into service sometime next week. Most of the (7) crews are qualified now, and the rest have been ordered to schedule a training session ASAP.

R42's won't be going anywhere until the R179's replace them. So we're looking at least 2 years before they're gone for good.

Time flies. Never saw this coming.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't sleep on the R42s, its a back and forth discussion on what to do with the cars, they are looking more like shit, people say they'll be gone when the R179s come in, there's a rumor saying next month, if the same amount of R32s stay on the J past this month than that's gonna be something, say if they decided to give the (C) all the R160s (172-184) of em ((C) doesn't need 222 R160s due to the reliability of the cars) and 184 R32s go to the (J) in total (that would be the total altogether with the 72 cars already there), that would really wipe out the R42s, they have to do something with the R42s to make em stay, its obvious that they don't do as much work to em, the only rumor I heard is they'll be gone by next month, IMO I doubt it but we'll wait and see

I cannot understand why some of the other users keep suggesting that the 48/400 remaining R42 cars to be retired. I mean I don't really see the (C) spares being cut down from 10 to 5 trains. They also keep forgetting this will create a car shortage for the (J) line. I don't know how many total of trains the (J) has, maybe 26-27 like the (C) (?). I think if scrapping the R42s was the clear solution, they would have done it already.

They'll always stay on the (J) until the R179s replace them. Ignore that speculation bull thats always brought up.

It wouldn't cause a car shortage, it would reduce the amount of spares for the (C) plus if they went with that plan, the (J) would get 40 R32s instead of 48, if the (C) was to get the R160A1s from ENY 207th wouldn't need 222 of em, they would only need 174-180 of em since they're more reliable, as for the (J) there's already 72 cars of R32s there, just send the equal amount and there wouldn't be a need for the R42s anymore, the cars are in horrible shape, if they sent the remaining 12 R42s that retired 4 years ago that were in running shape, what does that tell you, the R42s are oddballs now, 48 R42s Vs. 222 R32s, its about parts and cost cutting, that's the whole point of this plan that keeps being pushed back

Ironically enough, the Jamaica sets run during the night hours... Had the (R) not been 90% R160 would CI just use the R68s?

nights and weekends when (B) R68/68As can cover for spare 160s and used on the Brooklyn (R) IF and this is a big if... 160s need to be taken off for the (N).A TO that I know who works on the (N) told me he was told this and that CI would try anything and everything in order to keep the (N) all 160s.

Once again a TO said this.This is what I HEARD so Im reporting it...

Thanks for the information guys! Interesting about the R188; it looks like I'd be more pressed for time in finding a 62A on the (7) then finding a 42.

4572 – 4573 the cars that were in the movie The French Connection are going to be preserved for the transit museum.

Interesting - is there some official source confirming this? Pity they couldn't get the 40M/42 mismatched pair, though - the fact that it survived the WillyB wreck makes it a primary candidate, IMO.

I cannot understand why some of the other users keep suggesting that the 48/400 remaining R42 cars to be retired. I mean I don't really see the (C) spares being cut down from 10 to 5 trains. They also keep forgetting this will create a car shortage for the (J) line. I don't know how many total of trains the (J) has, maybe 26-27 like the (C) (?). I think if scrapping the R42s was the clear solution, they would have done it already.

They'll always stay on the (J) until the R179s replace them. Ignore that speculation bull thats always brought up.

The reason for my confusion is because different people say different things. Snowblock below mentioned that they will be around for the next 2 years, that supervisor guy 3838 was talking about a while back said they are reaching the end of the line soon, etc etc. And much as I would like to believe that they will be around for a while still, there are convincing arguments for both sides, and I'm not sure which one's words to take as gospel - being that I'm not familiar with the system in knowing who generally tends to be more reliable, as I am with Toronto's. Oy vey.

However, you bring up an interesting point about "I think if scrapping the R42s was the clear solution, they would have done it already."

Now expected to go into service sometime next week. Most of the (7) crews are qualified now, and the rest have been ordered to schedule a training session ASAP.

R42's won't be going anywhere until the R179's replace them. So we're looking at least 2 years before they're gone for good.

Very interesting - I was taken aback by this revelation, was not expecting them to be in service this soon. Don't know why, or when I was expecting them to start service.

I wouldn't sleep on the R42s,

Of course you wouldn't - you're not a hobo.

I'll get my coat...!

its a back and forth discussion on what to do with the cars, they are looking more like shit, people say they'll be gone when the R179s come in, there's a rumor saying next month, if the same amount of R32s stay on the J past this month than that's gonna be something, say if they decided to give the (C) all the R160s (172-184) of em ( (C) doesn't need 222 R160s due to the reliability of the cars) and 184 R32s go to the (J) in total (that would be the total altogether with the 72 cars already there), that would really wipe out the R42s, they have to do something with the R42s to make em stay, its obvious that they don't do as much work to em, the only rumor I heard is they'll be gone by next month, IMO I doubt it but we'll wait and see

But are the 32s reliable enough to support a lowered spare rate? Rollovermyhead brings up a good point in that, if the 42s were to be gone, why didn't they do it a long time ago? Would their reliability really improve that much through SMS? They are ancient, after all.

It's a shame how the (3) gets no love.

How so?

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Thanks for the information guys! Interesting about the R188; it looks like I'd be more pressed for time in finding a 62A on the (7) then finding a 42.

Interesting - is there some official source confirming this? Pity they couldn't get the 40M/42 mismatched pair, though - the fact that it survived the WillyB wreck makes it a primary candidate, IMO.

The reason for my confusion is because different people say different things. Snowblock below mentioned that they will be around for the next 2 years, that supervisor guy 3838 was talking about a while back said they are reaching the end of the line soon, etc etc. And much as I would like to believe that they will be around for a while still, there are convincing arguments for both sides, and I'm not sure which one's words to take as gospel - being that I'm not familiar with the system in knowing who generally tends to be more reliable, as I am with Toronto's. Oy vey.

However, you bring up an interesting point about "I think if scrapping the R42s was the clear solution, they would have done it already."

Very interesting - I was taken aback by this revelation, was not expecting them to be in service this soon. Don't know why, or when I was expecting them to start service.

Of course you wouldn't - you're not a hobo.

I'll get my coat...!

But are the 32s reliable enough to support a lowered spare rate? Rollovermyhead brings up a good point in that, if the 42s were to be gone, why didn't they do it a long time ago? Would their reliability really improve that much through SMS? They are ancient, after all.

How so?

That's what stopped them from kicking the R42s to the curve, but with the R160s on the C and the R32s on the J they're both doing good, if the R160s on the C and R32s on the J stay past October then something is going on, the summer is just about over and all the supervisors said labor day things will be getting back to normal, but things are the same as of now, so we'll see what goes on, the R42s really need work

It happens on ALL trains. I experienced it on a R62 on the (1) this morning. Maybe it was since today was very humid.

Good luck to the passengers on the  (1) line if they are on the R62A line in a car with broken ac! I once took a South Ferry Bound  (1) Train to The Last Stop and one car was with broken ac and it was during the summer!

South Ferry is closed on the (1)   line due to mechanical problems. On that note, will the Cortlandt St Station on the (1)/ (9) line reopen after what happened on 9/11? It would be kinda sad to be underneath the tragic event

Yep its supposed to open next year , when ever you see that no (1) trains are going to South Ferry because of construction that is the reason why,