SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Due to signal problems at the Marcy Avenue Station, Forest Hills-bound (M) trains are running local from the Myrtle Avenue Station to the Marcy Avenue Station.

Please expect delays in the (M) train service at this time.

Isn't something wrong with this advisory?

Your right.The (M) does that all the time.No need to write this.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the (5) dosent stop there this weekend.But it still did punch this evening.

Well, its all habit for us T/O's. I find myself punching at locations I don't (or shouldn't) have to (school car teaching says when in doubt, punch, can't hurt). But don't think the punch actually did anything tangible during these times.

Wow if the Fasttrack wasnt enough...

Posted: 01/09/2012 11:13PM

Due to track maintenance at the Grand Central-42nd Street Station:

Selected Manhattan-bound (4) train service is terminating at 3rd Avenue-149th Street Station.

Selected Manhattan-bound (6) train service is terminating at the 3rd Avenue-138th Street Station.

Please expect delays on the (4) and (6) train service at this time.

Guest lance25

What probably happened was they sent too many trains down into Manhattan and Grand Central is a terrible place to turn one line, let alone two, especially since they obviously couldn't go any further south. 149 St-Grand Concourse and 3 Av-138 St are better at that.

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 01/12/2012 9:26AM

Due to someone requiring medical assistance at the Nostrand Avenue Station, uptown (4) trains are running express from the Crown Heights-Utica Avenue Station and the Franklin Avenue Station.

Wait a minute the (4) always does that.Unless the G.O started early today.

Guest lance25

I'd like to believe the conductors aren't aware that they programmed a (5) line set as a (2) and vice-versa and just assumed it was the correct set. The (2) and (5)do swap sets quite often. Of course, it could just be laziness on their part too.

Shifting gears, why are the reverse peak local trains out of Broadway Junction called (Z)s? Wouldn't it make more sense to label them as (J) trains seeing as they're local trains running the normal route from the Junction? Right now, it's like saying the (Z) runs in the peak direction as a skip-stop, except when it doesn't and instead runs local to either Broad St or Jamaica-Parsons. My apologies if this has already been answered.

Edited by lance25

I'd like to believe the conductors aren't aware that they programmed a (5) line set as a (2) and vice-versa and just assumed it was the correct set. The (2) and (5)do swap sets quite often. Of course, it could just be laziness on their part too.

Shifting gears, why are the reverse peak local trains out of Broadway Junction called (Z)s? Wouldn't it make more sense to label them as (J) trains seeing as they're local trains running the normal route from the Junction? Right now, it's like saying the (Z) runs in the peak direction as a skip-stop, except when it doesn't and instead runs local to either Broad St or Jamaica-Parsons. My apologies if this has already been answered.

because those are Z trains and it does indeed fun skip stop in peak direction only. and they are scheduled to start there after coming from the yard.

Those trains are (Z)'s? According to the schedule there are no Z's out of Broadway junction.http://mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tjcur.pdf

Guest lance25

Precisely. I can almost understand this on the older fleet. Sometimes they don't have time to change all the side signs before it gets sent back in service as a local, but that still doesn't explain why the front sign is still sporting a (Z) when it's running local. It makes even less sense when it's an R160A-1 rolling down Jamaica as a (Z) local for the obvious reason.

This is a random thoughts thread. So don't hate on me for saying this.

What if it was back in the days of the <Q> and the (A) was rerouted over Brighton? That would be extremely hype.

The (S) would be extended to Jay Street via Fulton Street Express, and the (C) extended to Far Rockaway Fulton Street Local. Just imagine the railfanning. They might even throw some R32s (Even though there are already some) or R160s on the (S).

I imagine being at Church Av railfanning and an R40S, R46, or R160B (A) to Brighton Beach, and then a <Q> R32, R46, or R160A to Coney Island.

It would be so hype to see the station sign and the G.O. Station Overhead Destination Sign too;

CHURCH AVENUE

(A)(Q)<Q>

For those of you who say the (A) can not get to the Brighton Line;

1) 59 Street Columbus Circle

2) W4 (via 8 Av Local)

Thoughts?

Did anybody notice that the MTA did not send out the weekend service changes emails and texts today. I think I know why.Who can guess what I think is the reason?

Just to let you know, there STILL is no strike threat, it hasn't even been discussed among the inner circles of the membership.

Why do some conductors leave the strip maps on on swapped (2) and (5) trains? It only aggravates confusion....

something i noticed about both those strip maps...

if you count all the dots on the (2) stripmap and line it up on the (5) stripmap (when its lit up completely, including the spaces) they line up perfectly and is the same amount of dots

3777 and its mates are what I consider the 32s signature consist. It makes the loudest bucking sound I've ever heard, and screams lovely as it leaves a station. Maybe an unlucky run for many M/M, but I'd operate that consist with pride - cab door open 'n everything.

Still a lil' hard to take in that one can start braking at the head of Newkirk at 56 mph and stop right on the marker (even thou I've been on a few runs lucky enough to have a daredevil as a M/M). Big ups to the M/M who are ballsy enough to start braking at the head of Sheepshead Bay N/B. Not as fast as Newkirk, thou the sounds, frequent bouncing of the train, and the fact that it's a downgrade makes it seem intimidating.

Yes that's what I was thinking. Guess will find out later.

Yup, its back today. Apparently the biggest internal change they made from last winter is a new day by day basis when it comes to calling plans. Before, what was called at 11AM Friday was in effect until 11AM Monday, which was a big waste of money if what was forecasted didn't pan out or ended early in the weekend (like this storm did). Now, everything's on a day by day basis with extra hiring techniques in place for weekend. It will also allow for GOs to run the second (or first) half of the weekend. So in retrospect with these new rules, its no longer the large gamble it was seen in the past.