SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Yup, its back today. Apparently the biggest internal change they made from last winter is a new day by day basis when it comes to calling plans. Before, what was called at 11AM Friday was in effect until 11AM Monday, which was a big waste of money if what was forecasted didn't pan out or ended early in the weekend (like this storm did). Now, everything's on a day by day basis with extra hiring techniques in place for weekend. It will also allow for GOs to run the second (or first) half of the weekend.

But this weekend isn't everything cancelled, or there are some G.O.'s today?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
something i noticed about both those strip maps...

if you count all the dots on the (2) stripmap and line it up on the (5) stripmap (when its lit up completely, including the spaces) they line up perfectly and is the same amount of dots

Oh yeah. What I always found funny about that is that, if you're going to Nereid Av or somewhere else on Upper WPR on the (2), the strip map basically says you're somehow going to Dyre Av first.

yesterday while going to an unplanned NJ light rail trip I got on a local R160 (E) at Woodhaven. Even though it went local to Queens Plaza, that T/O was going at express speeds between stations (It makes me wonder how fast he went into 63 Dr even though I wasn't on it.

3777 and its mates are what I consider the 32s signature consist. It makes the loudest bucking sound I've ever heard, and screams lovely as it leaves a station. Maybe an unlucky run for many M/M, but I'd operate that consist with pride - cab door open 'n everything...

I love that set and its mate 3444...one of those cars (I think 3444) has a R38 rollsign as a south terminal

Also makes me wonder during the GOH, why they didnt do a set at a time instead of one at a time, which leaves so many mismatched sets running around. 3776 & 3445 (the mates to 3777 & 3444 respectively) are still in service now

EDIT: this is my 4,200th post :cool:

So now there are 2 single sets running around on the (7). Last time I saw one of them included 2153-2154-2155-2156-2157 as the last 5 cars (south end), but I don't think they are a coupled set because there is no cab on each end.

I would check out the R188's today if it weren't for the crappy slushy weather. I bet it would be in the barn anyways.

I love that set and its mate 3444...one of those cars (I think 3444) has a R38 rollsign as a south terminal

Also makes me wonder during the GOH, why they didnt do a set at a time instead of one at a time, which leaves so many mismatched sets running around. 3776 & 3445 (the mates to 3777 & 3444 respectively) are still in service now

EDIT: this is my 4,200th post :cool:

Interesting... Didn't know the mismatched sets were due to the GOH. I've always wondered why.

Anyone knows what happened at 75th St-Elderts Lane today? Overhead, as I was walking to school, I heard a C/R announce that the next stop would be 85th St due to a police investigation at 75th St. I heard someone jumped in front of a train. Thou there was an incident on Elderts Lane and Jamaica (someone was stabbed around six in the morning), then again that took place a block from the entrance/exit of the station.

It was a stabbing downstairs, the whole area was cardoned off as a crime scene. When someone hears "police investigation", people automatically assume 12-9, and often even tell others as if they knew for sure. Back shortly after 9/11 and during key holidays during the year (except New Years Eve/Day), "police investigation" meant bomb scare.

It was a stabbing downstairs, the whole area was cardoned off as a crime scene. When someone hears "police investigation", people automatically assume 12-9, and often even tell others as if they knew for sure. Back shortly after 9/11 and during key holidays during the year (except New Years Eve/Day), "police investigation" meant bomb scare.

I overheard a friend say he saw a trace of blood for a couple of blocks (probably would've seen the blood myself if I hadn't of cross the street). So the victim must of limped a few blocks... Wonder the current status of the victim...

The (E) R160 Alstoms brake well, allowing the T/O to operate them very aggressively. It is not uncommon to come in full blast and brake just before the C/R board going around 35.

They're actually nice to ride, but the aesthetics (seats, the interior and exterior), crap seats, and annoying, robotic announcements bug the crap out of me. Never mind that for some reason I don't like listening to my iPod on the subway like I do the bus, so I have to put up with noise even more.

There's also that annoying propulsion. I don't mind the 160A as much because I like the sound the doors make when they open.

In sheer braking power, 68A -> 160 Alstom -> 160 Siemens -> 68. The greatest difference of notice is between the Alstom and Siemens sets.

68A are also faster cars than 68, and have among the fastest units in the SMEE (There are some R32 cars up there too, but the problem is because of the married pair setup, its difficult to figure out which pairs are faster than others, and its nearly impossible and purely chance to get all the fast pairs on a single consist).

I had a good motor today 5076 = 53mph bet 34th - W4, 47mph going into Newkirk s/b (not down the hill), 48mph at Sheepshead Bay s/b. The latter two numbers are on flat track. Fastest 68A Ive ever had. I wish I had it going back north, might have had a shot at 55 n/b at Newkirk.

In sheer braking power, 68A -> 160 Alstom -> 160 Siemens -> 68. The greatest difference of notice is between the Alstom and Siemens sets.

68A are also faster cars than 68, and have among the fastest units in the SMEE (There are some R32 cars up there too, but the problem is because of the married pair setup, its difficult to figure out which pairs are faster than others, and its nearly impossible and purely chance to get all the fast pairs on a single consist).

I had a good motor today 5076 = 53mph bet 34th - W4, 47mph going into Newkirk s/b (not down the hill), 48mph at Sheepshead Bay s/b. The latter two numbers are on flat track. Fastest 68A Ive ever had. I wish I had it going back north, might have had a shot at 55 n/b at Newkirk.

Do you try to race your trains? :eek:

I wasn't around when the R38 ran. The R32's are ok, hit and miss. It takes a lot of brake to stop them at times, and smoothness is sometimes hard to achieve without losing time. Its difficult to get a "good train" there because there are actually four pairs in a consist on the (C). Hard to get four good pairs, unlike all other lines where its just two halves. But just one or two will carry you a long ways.

Guest lance25

Attn: Due to the Giants Parade tomorrow, the following stations will be closed starting at 10AM:

• Wall St (Lexington Ave)
  • City Hall (Broadway)
  • Chambers St-WTC (8th Ave)
  • Fulton St (Lexington Ave, 8th Ave)

Just letting you know.

(C) trains were running express via 8th Avenue this morning. One arrived at 42 St/Port Authority downtown and I rode it all the way to Chambers St. Once I transfered to the (C) express uptown, it was shifted onto the local tracks past Canal St.

No pics, but I wrote down the car numbers.

3682/3, 3425/4, 3441/0, 3779/8 (downtown)

3346, 3887/6, 3729/8, 3730/1 (uptown, forgot the other number)

(C) trains were running express via 8th Avenue this morning. One arrived at 42 St/Port Authority downtown and I rode it all the way to Chambers St. Once I transfered to the (C) express uptown, it was shifted onto the local tracks past Canal St.

No pics, but I wrote down the car numbers.

3682/3, 3425/4, 3441/0, 3779/8 (downtown)

3346, 3887/6, 3729/8, 3730/1 (uptown, forgot the other number)

What was the reason for this?